Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
Wife has a job opportunity to move up there to the Draper area and we’re considering it. I’d most likely work in SLC if I can’t swing a remote position in my current role, but Lehi is where it seems all the houses my wife likes are…probably has to do with a show she watches.

I visited last month, loved the mountains, did a few little hikes and went into the cave National park outside American Fork. SLC wasn’t impressive, it was dead, but I did find the temple interesting from a historical standpoint.

Right now my biggest hang ups are the housing costs and the state income tax, which I believe could be offset by lower property taxes? Any recent TX transplants have any differences they could share?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
@glockfan68 moved here from GA a few years ago and could probably give you some perspective on this.

The housing market is white hot right now, which you probably figured out. And while property tax isn't terribly high, it's increased about 50% since we built in 2010.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
50% is quite a bit. We’ve been fighting our increases every year but the comp houses we’ve used in the past have all sold at market value here, doubled in 7 years.

The housing market is hot here, but still not priced at your rates (we have no mountain views). We’ll need to do another site visit, but some new builds in Lehi are running barely sub $500k.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The family and I moved here about 3 weeks ago. We have a house under contract in the Saratoga Springs area and the property taxes and state income taxes are lower than where we left. (MN the fuck you pay me state)
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a good move for me and my family.  GA was home but we’ve come to love Utah.  I live further up north in Brigham City.  Home prices are pretty high here now.  Glad that I bought when I did at the price I paid.  I probably couldn’t afford my house now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Run. Do not walk to Utah. "This is the place."

I moved here from downtown San Francisco in 2006. I love Utah. I will never leave.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Run. Do not walk to Utah. "This is the place."

I moved here from downtown San Francisco in 2006. I love Utah. I will never leave.
View Quote
Shhhhhhh.

What are you doing, man?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Property taxes seem to run less down in Utah County vs Salt Lake County.

It's getting very expensive.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Waiting on her next meeting in a few weeks to venture further south and then head north the next one, hopefully before winter.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
These threads make me sad.

The state I know and love is dead.

ETA: I understand that we need more freedom-loving people, but some things cannot escape the change of just the sheer number of people moving here, freedom-lovers or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These threads make me sad.

The state I know and love is dead.

ETA: I understand that we need more freedom-loving people, but some things cannot escape the change of just the sheer number of people moving here, freedom-lovers or not.
View Quote

If we pull the trigger, so to speak, I’ll say it’s a 2-3 year adventure. I don’t see myself abandoning TX. My roots run deep, the border shifted south of my ancestors.

You’d get a few more votes and our contribution to the tax base and we’ll be out of your hair…unless UT charms my pants off!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top