Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2010 11:54:25 AM EDT
So I'm looking over some information on getting my CCW permit in Montana and I see on the form they need a reason for wanting the permit. the state is a shall issue state so what should I put in that block?

Also I cant tell but...

Do you need a photo for your permit?
Do you need to take a class first? If so will a range card from the military work?
What the fee for the permit and how long is it good for?
How long dose it take to be issued?

Also I see that in restraunts you need to open carry. How common is this practice and what do other patrons think when you do it?

Also what constitutes legal open carry in the state ie how from how many sides of your body or how much of the pistol must be visible?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm looking over some information on getting my CCW permit in Montana and I see on the form they need a reason for wanting the permit. the state is a shall issue state so what should I put in that block?

Also I cant tell but...

Do you need a photo for your permit?
Do you need to take a class first? If so will a range card from the military work?
What the fee for the permit and how long is it good for?
How long dose it take to be issued?

Also I see that in restraunts you need to open carry. How common is this practice and what do other patrons think when you do it?

Also what constitutes legal open carry in the state ie how from how many sides of your body or how much of the pistol must be visible?

You can put whatever you want in the reason, but many people simply say "for self-defense."

No you don't need a photo. With the development of digital photography they just take a digital picture when you turn in the app.

As for the safety class, a DD214 will suffice.

$50 for the permit and a $5 fee for fingerprinting. It's good for four years.

Issue time depends on which county you're in, but the law says they have 30 days to issue the license.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a WA permit, that is good in MT as well.

OC is not uncommon, and depending on where you are is more or less accepted.  As for OC in restaurants being accepted, I have no idea.  I am sure that Lincoln can comment much better than me, but the CCW law as it pertains to alcohol is "sold, dispensed, and consumed", so all three have to be met.  My understanding is that if you are not in a bar, or the bar area of an establishment, it is ok.  Get the book, and certainly don't take my word for it.

-Corn
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
my stated reason: to be in compliance with the law.
i dont think they worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
There aren't too many restaurants that don't serve alcohol.  The establishments that don't are fast food and such.  I think the law should be changed so that you can carry in places that serve alcohol as long as you're not drinking it.  Seems every sit-down restaurant i go serves alcoholic beverages, but i don't order any  because i'm too cheap to spend $4 on a frickin' beer.  It's a pain to unass my iron just to go eat lunch.

m1garand__man:

Are you a Montana resident?  I'm asking because your info says you are in WA, and i'm pretty sure Montana only issues licenses to in-state residents.

I know concealed in Montana means any part of the gun is concealed by your wearing apparel.  I'm assuming open carry is completely open, not even partially covered by any piece of clothing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There aren't too many restaurants that don't serve alcohol.  The establishments that don't are fast food and such. I think the law should be changed so that you can carry in places that serve alcohol as long as you're not drinking it.  Seems every sit-down restaurant i go serves alcoholic beverages, but i don't order any  because i'm too cheap to spend $4 on a frickin' beer.  It's a pain to unass my iron just to go eat lunch.

m1garand__man:

Are you a Montana resident?  I'm asking because your info says you are in WA, and i'm pretty sure Montana only issues licenses to in-state residents.

I know concealed in Montana means any part of the gun is concealed by your wearing apparel.  I'm assuming open carry is completely open, not even partially covered by any piece of clothing.

Interestingly, there will be a bill introduced next year that does just that. It's being written now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That would be correct.  For instance, IWB is considered concealed, so OWB only for OC.  Sort of funky I know.

Lincoln, I still think that we should get the AK/VT style passed.  I know that you and a ton of people were involved last time.  Clearing up the restaurant carry would be a good step.  Incrementalism in reverse. :)

-Corn

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There aren't too many restaurants that don't serve alcohol.  The establishments that don't are fast food and such. I think the law should be changed so that you can carry in places that serve alcohol as long as you're not drinking it.  Seems every sit-down restaurant i go serves alcoholic beverages, but i don't order any  because i'm too cheap to spend $4 on a frickin' beer.  It's a pain to unass my iron just to go eat lunch.

m1garand__man:

Interestingly, there will be a bill introduced next year that does just that. It's being written now.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That would be correct.  For instance, IWB is considered concealed, so OWB only for OC.  Sort of funky I know.

Lincoln, I still think that we should get the AK/VT style passed.  I know that you and a ton of people were involved last time.  Clearing up the restaurant carry would be a good step.  Incrementalism in reverse. :)

-Corn

Yeah that's part of our agenda as well. Currently it is lawful to carry concealed without a license in 99.4% of Montana - outside the limits of cities or towns. We are going to introduce legislation next year that will address the other .6%. Just like AK/VT. Except, in the pending version Montanans would still have the option of getting a CWP.

Just for everyone's information, below is a list of items that we haven't yet talked about here but will be on MSSA's legislative agenda next year;

Creation of a Home guard
Suppressors afield
Shooting range funding
Firearms in vehicles in parking lots
Sheriffs First - Law Enforcement Cooperation
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Corn

Yeah that's part of our agenda as well. Currently it is lawful to carry concealed without a license in 99.4% of Montana - outside the limits of cities or towns. We are going to introduce legislation next year that will address the other .6%. Just like AK/VT. Except, in the pending version Montanans would still have the option of getting a CWP.

Just for everyone's information, below is a list of items that we haven't yet talked about here but will be on MSSA's legislative agenda next year;

Creation of a Home guard
Suppressors afield
Shooting range funding
Firearms in vehicles in parking lots
Sheriffs First - Law Enforcement Cooperation

that is a great plan for the year!!! kick their ass!!

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top