Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2021 6:32:07 PM EDT
Female apartment dweller in Beaverton or Portland, on of those lovely places, and I don't have all the details.
Neighbors in the apartment below were having a Domestic, and at some point the male fires a pistol through the ceiling, while said female friend of my kids is in her apartment. Supposedly right through where she normally sits. She calls the cops, cops blow her off and supposedly tell her since she wasn't injured, they can't do anything about it. Ceiling pop neighbor is angry about the Man being brought into his life, whereupon he threatens to shoot said female and "watch her bleed out". Said female tries to go above cops head and speaks to a "superintendent" at the station, who also blows her off.
None of my business, MYOB, etc. Said female is too scared to go back to her apartment and the site manager won't break her lease or take action against ceiling pop man. I don't see my kid becoming even more involved unless the friend stays at her apartment and ceiling pop man shows up, whereupon clarity would ensue.

Any realistic options?
Grammar tips?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
She could talk to her local legal aid office about getting some help breaking her lease, since the neighbor clearly put her in danger and the landlord won't do anything about it.  He was probably in violation of a local ordinance about discharging a firearm within city limits, as well as Unlawful Use of a Weapon, which is a felony that does not require her to be injured.  She could try and talk to someone higher in the food chain at the PD about why he wasn't charged with that, but I don't know if that would get her anywhere.  Best bet is to get her out of the apartment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She could talk to her local legal aid office about getting some help breaking her lease, since the neighbor clearly put her in danger and the landlord won't do anything about it.  He was probably in violation of a local ordinance about discharging a firearm within city limits, as well as Unlawful Use of a Weapon, which is a felony that does not require her to be injured.  She could try and talk to someone higher in the food chain at the PD about why he wasn't charged with that, but I don't know if that would get her anywhere.  Best bet is to get her out of the apartment.
View Quote

Thx!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait. She calls thr police and tells them that a person downstairs shot thorough the floor a day they didn't respond?
View Quote

IDK if they actually showed up. But. Certainly no action was taken and the kid is too scared to go home.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The apartment had to be Portland. Portland PD would only have responded if someone was hurt or they had a cruiser in the neighborhood.

Beaverton PD or Washington County Sherriff would have responded appropriately and quickly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
She needs to get a copy of the police report- there should be one.  

I cannot imagine any DV argument, where someone touched off a round, not ending in some serious paperwork.  

Even “oopsi” firing off a round while “cleaning” the gun = a report being written.  Much less something that happened during an argument.  

The applicable law is Reckless Endangerment.

She could quite easily get a Restraining Order against this person if she wants to push it.

She should also force the landlord to evict the dipshit as well.  Can’t think of a landloard that wouldn’t for something like that.  

Either that, or you aren’t getting the whole story.

@sparky923

Feel free to @ me if you get more info of use.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I cannot imagine any DV argument, where someone touched off a round, not ending in some serious paperwork.  

Even “oopsi” firing off a round while “cleaning” the gun = a report being written.  Much less something that happened during an argument.  

She could quite easily get a Restraining Order against this person if she wants to push it.

She should also force the landlord to evict the dipshit as well.  Can’t think of a landloard that wouldn’t for something like that.  

@sparky923

View Quote

Thx!
My kid has been relocated out of State. I'll check with her on the status of her friend's drama.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@sparky923

View Quote

Thanks to the Dems it's almost impossible to evict anybody for almost anything now in Oregon. If you have a skinhead who moves into an apartment house that has a bunch of Jewish people living there, you can't evict the skinhead. At this point you almost can't evict people for not paying rent. If they claim it's COVID related you can't evict. You gotta just take the hit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top