Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2020 7:19:24 PM EDT
Hey, I’m in baker city for a while and I need recommendations for things to do nearby ?

Also, does anyone know where I can find parts for a Glock 21 nearby ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Go drink beer at Barley Brown’s.

Then get beer to-go from Barley Brown’s, head into the hills, find someplace with a great view and drink it there.

Come back to town, head up to Haines, get a steak for dinner.

That’s about what I’d do if I were out there now. I wish...

In all seriousness, Barley’s is great. Other places to go... Lone Pine cafe for breakfast, Geiser Grand is good for a fancy dinner, Haines Steakhouse...

Up in the hills you can ride the Sumpter Valley RR, see the dredge, or go check out the Anthony Lakes area, or head east towards Hell’s Canyon. You could spend a decade exploring that part of NE Oregon and not get bored.

For gun parts, honestly I’d probably just drive down to Boise and hit up some place there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the Eagle Cap Wilderness, out of Halfway. Explore the La Grande Watershed (roadless area). Go to the distillery in Joseph, and visit Wallowa Lake while you are there. There's a cool Nez Perce Indian museum in Joseph as well. If you are taking a scenic drive, go from Joseph around to Halfway. The Main Place in Halfway is great for lunch or dinner.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go drink beer at Barley Brown’s.

Then get beer to-go from Barley Brown’s, head into the hills, find someplace with a great view and drink it there.

Come back to town, head up to Haines, get a steak for dinner.

That’s about what I’d do if I were out there now. I wish...

In all seriousness, Barley’s is great. Other places to go... Lone Pine cafe for breakfast, Geiser Grand is good for a fancy dinner, Haines Steakhouse...

Up in the hills you can ride the Sumpter Valley RR, see the dredge, or go check out the Anthony Lakes area, or head east towards Hell’s Canyon. You could spend a decade exploring that part of NE Oregon and not get bored.

For gun parts, honestly I’d probably just drive down to Boise and hit up some place there.
View Quote

Went to barley browns, wasn’t impressed . It reminds me of what ninkasi sells as “beer”

Went and explored in hells canyon, got lost for a bit near Joseph, and found the only useful member of the us forest service I have ever met. It was amazing.

I watched the sun rise over wallowa lake.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear BB’s didn’t impress. Their Occam’s Hazer is one of the best hazy’s I’ve ever had. But everyone’s tastes are different I guess.

One of the best ways to explore that area is to just get lost so I’d say you did good.

LOL at the USFS. Yeah they’ve got some real space cadets but there’s a few good ones still scattered around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear BB’s didn’t impress. Their Occam’s Hazer is one of the best hazy’s I’ve ever had. But everyone’s tastes are different I guess.

One of the best ways to explore that area is to just get lost so I’d say you did good.

LOL at the USFS. Yeah they’ve got some real space cadets but there’s a few good ones still scattered around.
View Quote

I tried their palate jack and it seems like every other over hopped ipa on the market.

I would at some point like to grab a couple maps of the area, but I’m not sure where to find decent maps
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/maps

The USFS used to sell their paper maps online but they closed the store... stupid. But you can still buy paper Forest maps through the USGS, and the FS has a lot of downloadable stuff available too.

For certain areas of the country, like NE Oregon, the Forest maps are more useful than anything else. There’s so much land area tied up in the forests, and those maps also show all the local roads and private property too.

So that area is all Wallowa-Whitman NF. As I recall the big WWNF Map has the north zone on one side and the south zone on the other. For most driving adventures that’s about all you’d need. Individual ranger district maps are available too.

https://store.usgs.gov/product/111623

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure your gas tank is always full! It's 50 miles from anywhere to anywhere in the state of Northeast Oregon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
ETA: old thread... still a cool route.

On a bike? Hell, a car would be great too.

Take 7 to 245 to Bridgepoint Ln, to Burnt River to I84 and back...

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top