Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 8:48:14 AM EDT
Thought I would share some pictures of my son's and my aquarium project (yup got hitched in August of this year).  

Dave

thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.  I had a couple of 55 gallon tanks with a wide range of fresh water fish.

I think my favorites were the Jack Dempseys.  I had 2 of them in the same tank and wouldn't you know it the little suckers got busy and made about a hundred little ones.  The first time they did it I didn't catch it in time so they ate all the little suckers.  The second and third I was able to get them separate.

Anyway I ended up trading the tanks for a fridge and a range.  No more fish.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two 10 gallon tanks and one 20 gallon.  

the 20 gallon houses guppies (wife's choice not mine), neon tetras and three varieties of freshwater shrimp (red cherry shrimp, American glass shrimp [ghost shrimp], and what was sold to me as 'Indian White Banded shrimp but are looking more like 'Rainbow shrimp).

one 10 gallon tank used to house a pair of 'Mystic Blue' swordtails and Kuhli loaches but the sword female dropped a bunch of fry (babies) so I put the adults and the kuhli loaches into the other 10 gallon tank.

10 gallon tank number two houses a Boseman's Rainbow, an Albino Rainbow shark, two hillstream loaches (chinese butterfly variety), seven Kuhli loaches and one Java Kuhli loach, as well as the breeding pair of swordtails.

Also in these tanks are Malaysian trumpet snails.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey would you guess I have an aquarium also?  How do you like having those trumpet snails?  I keep thinking about adding some to my tank (wife will only let me have one)  :(

Do they do anything for algea?  On plants and decorations or just on the glass?

My tank is full of Plat mollies(maybe a 100 now) and some golden barbs and a few other fish but my pride and joy is my austrailan blue knight lobster! (no he is not really blue at all wrong water chemistry I guess)  His body is up to about 8 inches!  Although I keep thinking of trading my tank off for a 9mm Colt AR-15

Steven
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Kuli Loaches ROCK!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey would you guess I have an aquarium also?  How do you like having those trumpet snails?  I keep thinking about adding some to my tank (wife will only let me have one)  :(

Do they do anything for algea?  On plants and decorations or just on the glass?

My tank is full of Plat mollies(maybe a 100 now) and some golden barbs and a few other fish but my pride and joy is my austrailan blue knight lobster! (no he is not really blue at all wrong water chemistry I guess)  His body is up to about 8 inches!  Although I keep thinking of trading my tank off for a 9mm Colt AR-15

Steven

The trumpet snails don't eat plants but clean algae off of them, also clean glass and substrate.   However you won't see them much durring the day as they like to burrow when it is light.  They also burrow around plant roots but add nutrients to the plants with their fecal material.  Plus they are only $0.25 each here.

I have been over run with pond snails that got into my tank as eggs on plants, so I squish them and the guppies and shrimp eat them.

If your tank is well established you may look into some of the bigger freshwater shrimp (so the mollies and bigger fish don't eat them) as the shrimp in the 20 gallon tank really clean up the algae, uneaten food, snail eggs, and the ghost shrimp have even flipped a couple pond snails over and eaten them.

Malaysian trumpet snails are live bearers and don't lay eggs.

if your lobster isn't blue it is more than likely dietary.  My red cherry shrimp weren't coloring up fast after I got them (they lose their color in shipment due to lack of food and the temps not being controlled) and when I started feeding them boiled baby spinach leaves and blanched zuchini and blanched peas (shelled) and blanched grated carrots (run through a carrot peeler to make little strips or run on a cheese grater) they collored up real nicely.

Dave
Dave

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top