Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 12:34:35 PM EDT
I am doing a FTF later on today to a guy from Vancouver, barely in WA, but WA none the less. I have two matching receipts and a little I will use my gun responsibly spiel. Is that adequate?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am doing a FTF later on today to a guy from Vancouver, barely in WA, but WA none the less. I have two matching receipts and a little I will use my gun responsibly spiel. Is that adequate?

If you're in Oregon, no.  You will have to do a transfer through a dealer in WA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to do a X-fer through an FFL. Across state lines without is a no-no.

At least that's what I came up with during my research. In state, no prob ( as long as you're both residents ) out of state, no-go.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Read this for doing FTF with Washington folks........

www.fights4rights.com/1/bacon.php
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The room mate of a PR shooter was busted this year by ATF for a transfer to an out of state person. He had advertised in the nickle adds, the guy (ATF informant) called and arranged a meet in Beaverton somewhere, never mentioned he was from Washington. They did the sale in front of the buyers car with Washington plates, still not mentioning he was from out of state. The ATF arrested the seller and told him he should have asked and noticed the out of state lisence plate.
BAD, BAD, BAD. Not worth it especialy knowing the ATF is going after people for this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So is there an exception for the gun shows?

Any difference between handguns and long guns?

I mean, I know I can buy a long gun from an FFL in OR but to do a handgun they need to transfer it to an ffl in WA.

So would it be ok for a WA resident to buy a rifle from a dealer at the gun show but not from a private party?

Also, greetings to all my Oregun brothers and sisters.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]

I mean, I know I can buy a long gun from an FFL in OR but to do a handgun they need to transfer it to an ffl in WA.

So would it be ok for a WA resident to buy a rifle from a dealer at the gun show but not from a private party?

As I understand it, exactly right.

Which really pisses me off. I wanted to give my friend in Washington a built AR lower as a nursing school graduation present, but that would be a federal crime. Totaly F%@ked.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I called it off, I went down to the gun shop and talked to Kelley and he told me the same thing. I am going to transfer it to Roseburg Gun Shop, and they can transfer it to an FFL in WA of his choice. That is ok right?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I called it off, I went down to the gun shop and talked to Kelley and he told me the same thing. I am going to transfer it to Roseburg Gun Shop, and they can transfer it to an FFL in WA of his choice. That is ok right?

Yup, best and safest way to do it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No reason to involve a FFL in Oregon.  Just ship it directly to his FFL in Washington.  You'll need to verify that his FFL will accept firearms from non-FFLs.  Some do, some don't.  

Look into it - it could save you and the buyer some money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I called it off,

Phew! Sadly the law is the law and given the eagerness with which BATFEces stormtroopers like to entrap those unknowing (it's easier than dealing with real criminals), you did the right thing.

FFL transfer is the way to go if the buyer is out of State. And you need to be vewy vewy sure that the buyer is in-state otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright, another scenario;

What about a gift?  If I give someone a handgun instead of selling it, does it still have to go through an FFL?

For example, grandkid in another state, brother going to school out of state, whatever?

I can't even afford to buy myself one, but I've wondered about this before.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What about a gift?  If I give someone a handgun instead of selling it, does it still have to go through an FFL?

Yup - same deal. It's that "Interstate commerce" thing that the Feds use as a work-around for violating just about everything in the constitution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top