Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:10:08 AM EDT
I just saw that Oregon Firearms Federation is offering a book entitled Oregon Gun Laws, A Guide in Plain English.Follow this link.

I've ordered a copy -- of course, I already know that I can't carry where I really need to carry, but if it saves just one hypothetical child's life, so be it.

At any rate, I can post a review once I receive it if anyone cares.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just saw that Oregon Firearms Federation is offering a book entitled Oregon Gun Laws, A Guide in Plain English.Follow this link.

I've ordered a copy -- of course, I already know that I can't carry where I really need to carry, but if it saves just one hypothetical child's life, so be it.

Where is that?  If I may ask?

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Mark.

I work for the state, downtown Portland.  OAR trumps ORS.  It isn't all that dangerous, but I do sometimes have to deal with unhappy and/or nutty and/or meth-addicted street people.  Nothing 'bad' has happened to me yet, but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing me harm if they really wanted to.  On the other hand, if I were caught carrying I no doubt would not only lose my job but also probably never get another job in the same field.

What about the book?  It has a bad-ass 1911a1 on the cover and everything!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

AT your childs school... Does that not scare you?

I carry all the time when I pick up my son from school, and my gun has not killed any chetlines yet and I doubt it ever will.

Will the antI's antics ever stop.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

I carry all the time when I pick up my son from school, and my gun has not killed any chetlines yet and I doubt it ever will.

It’s not against the law to carry in a school in Oregon with a permit.   Yet.

Or were you being sarcastic?  I'm honestly not sure.

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

It’s not against the law to carry in a school in Oregon with a permit.   Yet.

Or were you being sarcastic?  I'm honestly not sure.

Mark.

That Mr. Sarcastic to you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes Sir!

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

I work for the state, downtown Portland.  OAR trumps ORS.  It isn't all that dangerous, but I do sometimes have to deal with unhappy and/or nutty and/or meth-addicted street people.  Nothing 'bad' has happened to me yet, but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing me harm if they really wanted to.  On the other hand, if I were caught carrying I no doubt would not only lose my job but also probably never get another job in the same field.

What about the book?  It has a bad-ass 1911a1 on the cover and everything!

So your job meens more to you than your life?
OoooooooooooooooooooKkkkkkk.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I was under the impression only Open carry is prohibited in Portland?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And even that is pre-empted by a valid CHL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hence the need for a book.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Goodness, I just wanted to tell you folks about the book.  
It's not just a job, it's a career, a way of life, the cause.  The cause!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

I work for the state, downtown Portland.  OAR trumps ORS.  

OAR's do not trump ORS.

OAR's are "Oregon Administrative Rules".  These are rules put in place by agencies and other state groups.

Re-read ORS 166.170 through ORS 166.176 (www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html) - specifically the part about "Except as expressly authorized by state statute,", the ability to regulate just about anything to do with a firearm "is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly."

Your inability to carry at work may be a condition of employment, but regardless of whatever OAR your employer has in effect, they couldn't prevent me from exercising my licensed conceal carry at your place of employment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Follow-up question - What OAR are you referring to (like what number) ??

Just interested - was curious if it was one I had already found (listed here:  www.kythri.net/oar.html), or a new one that I needed to update my list with.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I may be mistaken about it being an OAR then.  Sorry!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I may be mistaken about it being an OAR then.  Sorry!

Well, your employer may very well have issued an OAR restricting licensed carry - a number of agencies have done so.

The problem is, the State of Oregon doesn't have any kind of agency that reviews the Oregon Administrative Rules, striking down those that are illegal or unconstitutional.

What this means is, yet more corruption of government.  It's going to require someone getting arrested and charged with a violation of a specific OAR, and get it overturned in court.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

I work for the state, downtown Portland.  OAR trumps ORS.  

OAR's do not trump ORS.

OAR's are "Oregon Administrative Rules".  These are rules put in place by agencies and other state groups.

Re-read ORS 166.170 through ORS 166.176 (www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html) - specifically the part about "Except as expressly authorized by state statute,", the ability to regulate just about anything to do with a firearm "is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly."

Your inability to carry at work may be a condition of employment, but regardless of whatever OAR your employer has in effect, they couldn't prevent me from exercising my licensed conceal carry at your place of employment.

I wondered how long that would take

One of Kythri's hot buttons -- he's right, of course.
One day soon, we need to do something about this problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One of Kythri's hot buttons

Ain't that the truth.

The "Oregon Administrative Rules" violations of our state pre-emption law piss me off to no end.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

The "Oregon Administrative Rules" violations of our state pre-emption law piss me off to no end.

Sorry, I've had too much to drink tonight, but if zougou works for a state agency and is located in a "public building", isn't he prohibited from carrying there?

If that's the case, you might want to work out a deal with any door security personnel, to leave your piece at the front door and then pick it up when you leave...?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Sorry, I've had too much to drink tonight, but if zougou works for a state agency and is located in a "public building", isn't he prohibited from carrying there?

If that's the case, you might want to work out a deal with any door security personnel, to leave your piece at the front door and then pick it up when you leave...?

CHL holders are exempt from the "public building" restriction.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
     (2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
     (A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
     (B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
     (b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
    (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
     (d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

Now, he's not just a CHL holder, though - he's also an employee of that agency.

As a condition of employment, he may be restricted from carrying there.

Technically, since it's a public building, the offending agency (or the entire state (and all counties/cities) shouldn't be able to make rules or policy that violate state law.  Any state employee who has a CHL should be allowed to carry if they're licensed.

I don't know if there's a law somewhere that allows the agencies to overrule that.  If there isn't, then said rule would be void, and legally, they couldn't prevent an employee from licensed carry.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I received my copy of the book.  It is fairly short and half of it is a reprint of ORS and some letters clarifying some legal points.  So the actual text is about 23 pages -- I read this in one sitting over one beer.  Mmm, Black Butte Porter, frosty chocolate porter.  

But I digress.  It does indeed explain the laws in plain English.  I wish it had more resources.  For instance, they recommend getting more training than just the CHL class, but don't have a list of places in Oregon to go for more training.  I know of places, but if I were new to this, it would be nice to have a brief list.  Also, they recommend having a good, pro-gun lawyer in case you ever are in the position where you have to defend yourself.  Again, no list is given and I'm not sure how one goes about finding a pro-gun lawyer.

It's not a bad book to add to one's library.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top