Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:57:41 PM EDT
I have a krinker plinker that I would like to put my 10/22 in. However the overall length with the stock folded with a 16 in. barrel is only 24 inches. My understanding of Oregon law is that even though the barrel is not under 16 inches since the overall length is under 26 inches (folded) this would be considered a short barrel rifle.  Am I correct ?  I assume that the minimum overall length is measured with the stock folded.

I am debating if I should send the krinker plinker back or get the stock pinned open permanently.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
OAL is measured w/ stock open.
All underfolder AK would have to be SBR if they were measured closed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. More or less the reasoning is with the stock closed, it's a "pistol". With the stock open, it's a "rifle".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup. More or less the reasoning is with the stock closed, it's a "pistol". With the stock open, it's a "rifle".

Uh, dude... Once a rifle, always a rifle.

I was under the impression that if the thing was functional with an OAL of <26" (folded or not) it's still an SBR...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, dude... Once a rifle, always a rifle.

I was under the impression that if the thing was functional with an OAL of <26" (folded or not) it's still an SBR...

That would be a wrong impression.

CFR Part 179 Sub-Part B - Definitions

...."The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance
between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to
the center line of the bore."

IE: Measure with the stock extended.

But, Oregon 166.210(8) defines a short barreled rifle as:

..."having one or more barrels less than 16" in length and any weapon made from a rifle if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26"."
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
So what is the correct interpretation ? Do I measure the rifle with the stock extended or folded ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So what is the correct interpretation ? Do I measure the rifle with the stock extended or folded ?

I would say extended.

But, this is just some guy on the internet talking, right? If you want a realy CYA answer, contact the ATF NFA branch in writing.

That said, this is 25.5" long when folded and can be fired and is not considered an NFA SBR:

Kel-Tec SU-16C

The basic thought is that a rifle is meant to be fired from the shoulder. If the stock folds, it is not longer considered a "rifle" for SBR purposes. It basically becomes a pistol because you can no longer use your shoulder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top