Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 11:16:53 PM EDT
My little sister goes to College in Oregon and she got her fist ever ticket.  She got written up for going 40 in a 30Mph zone at 6am on her way to her weekend job. She has talked to her friends that are from there and they said there is no Traffic school in Oregon. Is this true? I thought all states has some form of traffic school. Is there any way to dismiss tickets in Oregon or atleast keep them off your driving record?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
i dont know about the dismiss but there is traffic school
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can take the diversion class for speeding.

It would also depend on what court system you are under - where was the ticket written?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
She was on her way from Eugene to Junction City if I can remember corretly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a course for first time offenders.  Depends on the judge though and they reserve it's use for manly younger (under 18) folks.  Make it a point to bring the fact that it's a first ticket and that she is in college and is a student.

I'd claim not quilty though, then supena (spelling?) the radar calibration documents and gun it's self.  Then if the officer doesn't show or doesn't bring the documents it's thrown out (most of the time).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]

For the first ticket there is something called "Deferral" where it can stay off your record if you don't get another ticket for 3 years. You have to call the county where it was issued to apply. Some places will have the application form online.

Search Google for "ticket deferral" to get more info.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I might have a lot of tickets in OR but I am not a expert on the laws. Defferal and or Dismissal can only be decided by the judge in traffic court now as I found out last time in court with a laywer. You used to be able to talk to the LEO that issued the ticket and make an agreement but they stopped that sometime in last couple years. They can suggest to the judge but they don't get to make any desicions anymore. Dismissal for traffic school was a great get out of jail free card for many years. $25-30 bucks and 4 hours and no more ticket. Been there done that but no more in Oregon unless you sweet talk the judge. Chances are better for Deffering the ticket so if you don't get another for a year it drops off your record...

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on the judge and the city, but yes, there is a form of "traffic school", and it can be used for deferral/diversion/dismissal.

I'm 27, and I just got to attend a [sarcasm]fabulous[/sarcasm] "Aggressive Driving" school this past Saturday, courtesy of the Keizer Municipal Courts - I have a lead foot.

Enquire at the court about it...I'm quite honestly surprised I was allowed to take the class, but the officer involved in the citation was cool, and assisted my "Not Guilty" testimony.

Expect to pay for the class, however - I had to pay $95 and spend my Saturday there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget, you can also get a real dumbass judge.

West Linn Municipal Court:

- Police failed to provide anything requested in discovery...Judge still let it go through. Even after the simple "how can I defend myself if I have no information".

- Asked for deferral. Judge response was "That's only for criminal cases."

Needless to say, it was basically rigged. Didn't matter what I said, I was guilty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top