Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2021 2:39:00 PM EDT
Contemplating move away from "Atlanta". Currently in Canton near Waleska. Have children in Savannah (Thunderbolt) and Warner Robins. Tired of slugging through traffic in Atlanta to visit then slugging through traffic on return trip. Area around us is exploding with apartments and large neighborhoods - not the Canton we moved to 10 years ago. Retired, kids grown - can live anywhere.

Looking at the Lake Oconee and Lake Sinclair areas as alternative location. Will buy 5 acres or more (more the better). Goal is to be away from Atlanta congestion and growth. Do not want to live in a city. Thinking we could be away from urban areas and able to access interstate south of Macon to visit Savannah occasionally to see family.

Feedback on this part of Georgia?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saying Lake(s) Oconee & Sinclair area encompasses everything from parts of Hancock, Greene, Putnam, Morgan, and Baldwin Counties and everything from shacks to mansions.  Also, you are wanting actual lake access or simply being near the lakes?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Great point - yes that is a broad area. We do not need to be on either of the lakes as I realize that normally drives up the price ( if we want to boat we will join a marina). Any general feedback on areas (counties?) to focus on would be helpful. Any general feedback on areas (counties?) to avoid also very helpful. I know that I do not want to live in Macon, Warner Robins, or Augusta or similar. Thanks for responding!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your PMs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
born, raised, and currently reside in Milledgeville... I can tell you anything you want to know about the area... DM for my cell..
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
stay out of Hancock county.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a cabin / hunting property in Jasper County outside of Monticello.  It might be a good fit for you.  A big percentage of the county is National Forrest and they will never grow the population.  Access to 75 south is easy and You can also cut all the way down to 16 if you want.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
stay out of Hancock county.
View Quote
Meh, its all in what you want out of the area.  Granted, I wouldn't want to be too close to the city limits of Sparta, but staying near the Baldwin/Putnam/Greene County areas aren't bad at all.

I've lived in Milledgeville since '03.  I'm about 25 mins from Lake Oconee (near the dam), and less than 5 minutes from areas of Sinclair.  Its not a bad area, but certainly has its problems.  It has pretty much everything I need without being overcrowded, and traffic is never an issue.  You're still 45mins-1hr from Macon, less than 2 hrs from Atlanta, and about 1hr 15mins from Warner Robins. Savannah is just under 3 hrs, and is a fairly easy drive (I just did it Tuesday).  Great thing is, you're still under 3hrs to Helen/Dahlonega.

I like the area, school system isn't bad (GMC & JMA), decent food, and you are still reasonably close to everything else in the state.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Spent yesterday in the "Milledgeville area". Looked at three specific properties but in general got overview of the area. Location is appealing plus ability to access lakes. Appreciate the insights. Hate the "Atlanta" traffic and sprawl but will admit the slightly lower temps in the Canton area are appealing - yesterday was hot everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The fall line (gnat line) runs right through Milledgeville.  Best to live a few miles to the North of the fall.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
yesterday was hot everywhere.
View Quote
The appropriate term is "hot as balls".
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a good shooting range in that area:
Cedar Creek
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a good shooting range in that area:
Cedar Creek
View Quote
I'm less than 15 mins form that range, but have never actually been to it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m CFO of a bank in Milledgeville and we have an office at Lake Oconee as well.  If I can help let me know.  There is a private shooting range south of Milledgeville,  300 yard rifle, 50 yd pistol and Skeet field.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy Milledgeville.  Grew up in Greene County and went to college in M'ville in the mid 90's to start and am back there again to finish my degree currently.  While I live in Buford area I do have a house on lake Sinclair that I spend a good bit of time at during the summer and when I don't want to drive home on school days.  

If I had to move down there full time I would probably find a place with lots of property out towards Monticello in Putnam county.  My lake house is in Hancock county and I can tell you they love their property taxes there.  Even though I pay more taxes in Gwinnett county the millage rate is higher, I believe in Hancock.  Hancock also taxes the shit out of improvements to your property and the roads are really crappy once you cross the Hancock border going to that side of the lake.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#17]
We are looking hard at place with newer house plus 22 acres with lake between Milledgeville and Gordon. Land is on the Baldwin and Wilkinson border. Compromises as always but very nice house and we always wanted acreage. Definitely closer to granddaughter and son in WR (my wife's priority) plus daughter in Savannah. Assume shop in Milledgeville and Macon. We lived in WR for about 7 years in the past so have some general knowledge of area. Too close to gnat line but again compromises.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If it is the property I’m thinking, you are 20 minutes from Kroger, Walmart in Milledgeville.  You are 10 minutes from a gun club.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#19]
If it is the property I’m thinking, you are 20 minutes from Kroger, Walmart in Milledgeville.  You are 10 minutes from a gun club.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]
We are 45 minutes from everywhere where we live now west of Canton. Not really, but seems that way with traffic, etc. Only thing we will miss is COSTCO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if PM went twice.  It never looked like it went.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn’t realize that we had so many members from Milledgeville.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn’t realize that we had so many members from Milledgeville.
View Quote

Need a meet and greet at lunch sometime.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Update. Closed on the house/land between Milledgeville and Gordon end of September. 90+% moved in. Need to look at gun range(s) to join in November. Everyone we have met is extremely nice. Even though in rural area, we are only 11 miles from main shopping areas. Will miss COSTCO though!
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats.  You're not too far from the Angry Emu.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Update. Closed on the house/land between Milledgeville and Gordon end of September. 90+% moved in. Need to look at gun range(s) to join in November. Everyone we have met is extremely nice. Even though in rural area, we are only 11 miles from main shopping areas. Will miss COSTCO though!
View Quote

You got 22 acres, why not build your own range?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, I have 22 acres but there are homes 360 degrees around my "island". I think there are multiple established ranges close enough to me to not need to build my own range.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Baynes Army Store has a very nice range not far from you, Old Capitol Gun Range...it's off Benson Adams Rd.  PM me, I can take you over one day to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Are there in any USPSA/IPSC or IDPA clubs around middle Georgia? Looked on the USPA and IDPA web pages and seems like everything is around Atlanta or Savannah. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
There used to be some informal matches at Eagle Gun Range in Macon years ago, but I have no idea if they are still doing them....its been a looong time since I've shot there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow. I used to shoot USPSA matches in Macon at the Sheriff's range off I16. That was 30 years ago? Made the trip up from Savannah to compete
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#34]
The closest matches will probably be Griffin or South River.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I think they still have matches in andersonville but Griffin would probably be closer.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]
How about FFL transfers in Milledgeville area? I was doing my business with Cherokee Gun and Pawn in Canton but that will be too fat now.

Any place to buy rifle reloading components in Milledgeville area? (Yes I know it is hard to find components right now). Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Bass & Antler has a small selection of powders, and maybe a few bullets.  As far as transfers, I *believe* Bayne's Army Store will do them...just ask for Victor or Doug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top