Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 7:12:20 PM EDT
Been doing a few projects on our fiber laser and this little six shooter was the latest. Really impressed with the nice, crisp and deep engraving into steel. Of course stainless and aluminum is a breeze.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Really cool and interesting, so you cerakote it first and then engrave? What kind of engraver do you have? I know nothing about about it, but seeing this makes me want one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really cool and interesting, so you cerakote it first and then engrave? What kind of engraver do you have? I know nothing about about it, but seeing this makes me want one.
View Quote

Just one of the many Chinese fiber lasers on the market. We have a 60w although 30w lasers will do the same thing but takes longer. We have an IS200 rotary engraver that we've used for years doing projects such as custom engraving as well as NFA compliant markings.

Anyway if there is finishing involved, such as Cerakote, we do that last. On this particular project the fit and finish was really poor, but it was an inexpensive gun. We blended the grips, removed surface imperfections and made it look quite a bit better.  

As far as engraving goes, it is not usually necessary to refinish a piece simply because of the engraving.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you provide this cerakote process to the general public's firearms?  I got a friend that wants to refinish his worn out Kimber Solo.  Just plain black, nothing fancy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you provide this cerakote process to the general public's firearms?  I got a friend that wants to refinish his worn out Kimber Solo.  Just plain black, nothing fancy.
View Quote

Yes we do a few each month.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just one of the many Chinese fiber lasers on the market. We have a 60w although 30w lasers will do the same thing but takes longer. We have an IS200 rotary engraver that we've used for years doing projects such as custom engraving as well as NFA compliant markings.
View Quote

Off to find another cool tool I won't have time to use - yet. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty cool!  I love the look of engraved gun but the price is ouch!  Laser may be the answer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's pretty cool!  I love the look of engraved gun but the price is ouch!  Laser may be the answer.
View Quote

It's not as bad as you'd think, just depends on how elaborate you want to go.

If you get a laser, a good ventilation system is a must.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear people talking about regular laser engraving and deep laser engraving, which one do you guys do?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hear people talking about regular laser engraving and deep laser engraving, which one do you guys do?
View Quote

Nearly all fiber lasers, including ours are capable of deep engraving and the wattage will pretty much determine how long it will take to do. The higher the wattage, the faster the work gets done.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes we do a few each month.

View Quote

Thank you.  I will tell him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top