Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:23 AM EDT
Last week a fax came across my machine demanding payment for Online Local Yellowpages. I have never heard of these people nor have I authorized them to provide any services for my business. They have my wife's name and claim she authorized their services. My wife has absolutely nothing to with my business or decision making there.

I Googled this company and they are a complete scam.

A representative from this company has been calling my shop 5 times a day demanding payment. It started out civil but it's went well beyond that. I unplugged my fax machine because they have been burning it up with payment demands

Is there anything I to stop these crooks from harassing me short of driving up to NY and addressing the problem mono el mono..???

I assume they will eventually move on and stop calling when they finally figure out they won't be seeing a single dime but their persistence is surprising.

td

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Drop a message into the NYHTF and ask if anyone wants to pay them a visit.
I have done this for others in GA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the phone company still offer "call block". If they call from the same number every time, that might be a solution.

Accountant
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
touch star service

I wished it were that easy
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does the phone company still offer "call block". If they call from the same number every time, that might be a solution.

Accountant

The calls always show up as "Private Caller".

I guess they'll get the message sooner or later but this is my 1st rodeo with an organization like this.

When they call I have started putting them on hold and forgetting about them until they hang up.

I wonder if local LEO can do anything for me..????

td
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#5]
anonymous call rejection...this feature is just the ticket for this kind of thing
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Report them HERE

Or call their main office and talk to the highest level manager, vice president, whoever that you can get on the phone and tell them you will wear out the redial button on your phone calling them all day long till they stop bugging you.

Post their company name and number on here and let some of the guys that are really bored pull their chain - hell, I'll call and mess with them just for shits and giggles!

ETA: I just saw where they were blocking their number - ask for an address to send the payment and look it up so you know who they are.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Report them HERE

Or call their main office and talk to the highest level manager, vice president, whoever that you can get on the phone and tell them you will wear out the redial button on your phone calling them all day long till they stop bugging you.

Post their company name and number on here and let some of the guys that are really bored pull their chain - hell, I'll call and mess with them just for shits and giggles!

ETA: I just saw where they were blocking their number - ask for an address to send the payment and look it up so you know who they are.

The fellow that is harassing me goes by the name Marco Gatti and his toll free number is 1-800-493-1359 ext 417.

I have already tried the supervisor/manager route to no avail.

I have no idea if they have managers but I do know they ain't about to connect you to their phone.

td
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
When he calls, play "Dixie" on a crow call.  I did that when people were making illegal calls like that to my mother's number.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When he calls, play "Dixie" on a crow call.  I did that when people were making illegal calls like that to my mother's number.

LMAO - good one!

a metal referee's whistle works wonders also - most callers like this use a headset mic and earphone - phones generally carry the higher frequencies very well!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Just use call blocking for blocked numbers.  Then allow your caller ID to show the number of calls coming in from them.  Once you get 10 of them, call the police and let them deal with it.  The company will get severely fined if you ask them not to call you and they continue.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a scam calling me a while back looking for my mother in law. When I asked for a name, one was given, and they said they were with TRS. When I asked what that stood for, they said they couldn't give out that information. I said, "that's a bunch of crap," and hung up. Another time, they tried to tell me that it was about her bank account, and my number was listed as a contact. That is also a load of crap. They wanted a phone number where they could call her. Just fishing for information.

Every time they called, it was a xxx-xx number. No city, no name, nothing. Different number every time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Try one of these TeleZapper
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
i work out of my house and get calls from telemarketers and 'rachel from card services" (who id like to see raped by an enraged hippo).

for those that actually 'talk' (not robots) i often pretend to talk in foreign languages and see how long i can string them along.

other times i simply hit the polycom and put them on mute and let them burn time trying to get me to answer.

worse one i had was a skip tracer trying to find someone who used to live at my address. the guy was pretty antagonistic and threatening. one time i answered and he started with various racial slurs which im pretty sure were attempts to bait me to converse with him. i simply put him on mute and let him roll....

my favorite tactic though is the foreign (fake language) jabbering. its hilarious. they often ask me to repeat stuff and then try talking to me in spanish...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i work out of my house and get calls from telemarketers and 'rachel from card services" (who id like to see raped by an enraged hippo)....

She calls me too. And she is a super fast talker. Hate her.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
My mom got called by someone claiming to be DEA. I thought it odd so I called him back.

The f'er was in the Dominican Republic. He was trying to extort money saying she bought illegal drugs online.

I called the real DEA. The agent said he would call. They only called back once since.

Just say your wife is mentally incapable of making a legal decision. Then hang up.

If that doesn't work ask where to send the check and u will fedex it. No po box :) the rest is easy!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]
for random telemarketers, my three year old loves to talk on the phone––that one solves itself.  For the same person calling over and over, FTC and the steps you have already taken.

If the faxes are coming in from a non blocked number, I have successfully done this once but you have to have the right kind of fax (old) Make 4 copies of black paper, or get 4 sheets of black paper, tape them together into one long page.  fax asshole.  at night.  then, after the first page goes through, tape it to the last page so your fax will continue to feed this loop over and over etc.

You can empty their toner/ink and paper supply pretty before they come in the next day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
for random telemarketers, my three year old loves to talk on the phone––that one solves itself.  For the same person calling over and over, FTC and the steps you have already taken.

If the faxes are coming in from a non blocked number, I have successfully done this once but you have to have the right kind of fax (old) Make 4 copies of black paper, or get 4 sheets of black paper, tape them together into one long page.  fax asshole.  at night.  then, after the first page goes through, tape it to the last page so your fax will continue to feed this loop over and over etc.

You can empty their toner/ink and paper supply pretty before they come in the next day.

I love this!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this!

Sweet!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Report them HERE

The fellow that is harassing me goes by the name Marco Gatti and his toll free number is 1-800-493-1359 ext 417.

I have already tried the supervisor/manager route to no avail.

I have no idea if they have managers but I do know they ain't about to connect you to their phone.

td

Sure, it's a crime called "harassing communication," but it will be difficult for local LE to stop. I suggest sending a message in NYHTF and asking someone to stop by and pay a visit. Also, I recommend every HTF member start calling that number 5x a day to return the favor.......
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#21]
We have actually turned the tables on the clown andI have started looking forward to his daily calls.

Just yesterday when he called Adrian accused him of lowering the amount he was trying to collect. He also asked him if was willing to barter for items in the shop like old tools and the like. We were disappointed when he refused to barter

The day before Adrian asked him if he accept payment from a credit card. Adrian pulled a CC number out of thin air. He called back a few minutes later pissed off about the bogus number. Adrain said he was sorry but the trust between them was broken since he accused him of giving him a bogus number and he went on to accuse him of trying to steal our money to buy new gold clubs.

We now consider it a victory when he hangs up on us.

This really is somewhat entertaining if you don't have a shop full of customers.

Has anyone in the HTF called these clowns and screwed with them..?????

td
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Is this the same guy Adrian was talking Spanish to when I was in their?  Start recording the calls and post it to YouTube!! Then email him the links!! Instant classic!

Quoted:
We have actually turned the tables on the clown andI have started looking forward to his daily calls.

Just yesterday when he called Adrian accused him of lowering the amount he was trying to collect. He also asked him if was willing to barter for items in the shop like old tools and the like. We were disappointed when he refused to barter

The day before Adrian asked him if he accept payment from a credit card. Adrian pulled a CC number out of thin air. He called back a few minutes later pissed off about the bogus number. Adrain said he was sorry but the trust between them was broken since he accused him of giving him a bogus number and he went on to accuse him of trying to steal our money to buy new gold clubs.

This really is somewhat entertaining if you don't have a shop full of customers.

td

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this!

Black paper from kids projects work too, plus I add some of my kids old drawings! Hate fax jerks

Sweet!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is this the same guy Adrian was talking Spanish to when I was in their?  Start recording the calls and post it to YouTube!! Then email him the links!! Instant classic!

Quoted:

td

One and the same but I'm afraid he's about to give up and stop calling

Adrian is much better dealing with the scammer than yours truly.

I tell he will never see a dime from me at advise him to FO and die as I hang up the phone. He calls right back after I hang up but for some reason he never calls back the same day after Adrain gives him the treatment

td
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top