Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:11:13 PM EDT
Can you shoot targets on WMA property that is not a range ? I want to take my wife out for some rifle shooting without the range idiots...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The legal answer is no.  I may have this worded incorrectly, but the gist of what "The Book" says is that target practice can be done only on an area designed to do so.  

Sorry
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The legal answer is no.  I may have this worded incorrectly, but the gist of what "The Book" says is that target practice can be done only on an area designed to do so.  

Sorry

This. and right now is not a good time anyway. give it a couple weeks for deer season to end
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#3]
didn't deer season end on 12/31???
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the laws on a Nat'l forest different?  I want to say you used to be able to do this back in the day (10+ yrs ago).  Definitely check on that though, just trying to throw out another option.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
didn't deer season end on 12/31???

In the northern zone, yes (there are some exceptions for archery in metro counties).  Southern zone firearms typically goes til the middle of the month or end, don't recall.  There are other seasons still open though, albeit usually less hunters.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are the laws on a Nat'l forest different?  I want to say you used to be able to do this back in the day (10+ yrs ago).  Definitely check on that though, just trying to throw out another option.

You can shoot on National Forrest land outside of WMA's. No shooting across rivers or lakes, no shooting across roads. Shooting on power lines and gas easements is good to go.  The USFS Supervisor that I spoke to in the Gainesville office only asked that I make sure to shoot into a berm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can shoot on National Forrest land outside of WMA's. No shooting across rivers or lakes, no shooting across roads. Shooting on power lines and gas easements is good to go.  The USFS Supervisor that I spoke to in the Gainesville office only asked that I make sure to shoot into a berm.

Exact answer I have been given when talking with the blue ridge ranger district.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top