Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:24 AM EDT
I do not know much about it so what would it take to start loading 5.56 and 45 acp ? I want a kit that I can do other calibers later on like .308 .454 50beo 300blk and so on...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I do not know much about it so what would it take to start loading 5.56 and 45 acp ? I want a kit that I can do other calibers later on like .308 .454 50beo 300blk and so on...

My brother gave me a lee 4 turret, and 4 sets of dies for Christmas 2010. I was going to have my Uncle (who was a huge reloader for the last 25 years or so) come and help me get everything setup so I could run and he died unexpectedly 3 days after Christmas. So I still have everything in a box and sitting for the last year until I can get around to doing it by myself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
if you want a progressive, do NOT buy a lee loadmaster.  

so put out with the priming system on that thing right now.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Any of the kits will load most of the cartridge cases. The only "problem is loading the 50bmg and shotgun shells. There are special kits for those.

A set of dies (and components) is the only thing that you need to buy to load each caliber. All the dies (except the Lock-N-Load) use the same thread. So, a RCBS die will work in a Lee press.

Everyone has their preferences, but I got the Rock Chucker single-stage press. I'm not trying to crank out thousands of bullets and it's great for the amount of shooting that I do. I have dies from Lee, Redding, RCBS and Lyman. Some I got new, others I got used from eBay.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
if you want a progressive, do NOT buy a lee loadmaster.  

so put out with the priming system on that thing right now.

Did yours blow up too?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Love my Dillon 550B!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]
no...i have only popped one primer in 15 years of messing with the stupid thing.  i have eaten lots of primer sliders, and screwed up a few trough covers along the way though.  

to top it off, midway is no longer stocking primers sliders.  there is a new replacement part that by all accounts sucks as bad as the original...it just costs 5x more.

i'm going to start looking for a dedicated larger primer machine upgrade.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I ask because some guy on GunDudes Radio popped one...which set off a chain reaction of primers in his garage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Lee classic turret kit from Cabelas last month.  So far I've only loaded 50 rounds of 9, but I have .223, .308, & 30-30 dies set up.  .45, .38, & maybe 7.62x39 is down the road.

I'm treating it as a single stage until I get used to it.  Smaller in size than I thought it wold be which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought a Lee classic turret kit from Cabelas last month.  So far I've only loaded 50 rounds of 9, but I have .223, .308, & 30-30 dies set up.  .45, .38, & maybe 7.62x39 is down the road.

I'm treating it as a single stage until I get used to it.  Smaller in size than I thought it wold be which is a good thing.

This is the way to start, you wont completely break the bank to figure out it's not for you.  There is a reloading forum here on ar15 chock full of information and experience.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't know how much you are looking to dump on your reloading rig, but I use a Dillon RL650 with an electric casefeeder.  I load everything from IPSC handgun loads up through .223 and .308 on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't know how much you are looking to dump on your reloading rig, but I use a Dillon RL650 with an electric casefeeder.  I load everything from IPSC handgun loads up through .223 and .308 on it.

This is what I use, I started with a 550B, but the powder check die is a VERY significant improvement, my only gripes are the primer feed system is more complicated than on a 550B and you pretty much NEED to have the electric casefeed with a 650 due to the way it loads cases on the toolhead.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Iv got two presses, scales, dies, primer feeders, ect that have been sitting in the boxes for two years. Just can't work up the nerve to roll my own. I did tumble all my brass though
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, where were you guys when Doug was teaching a basic reloading class at Kudzu Tactical in Marietta? :-)  Hit them up and they'll schedule another one, with either Doug or myself teaching it :-)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you off Mon.?  I'll be loading some 30-30.  and you can see the setup I have.  PM or email me.

I'll also be sizing bullets tomorrow afternoon and some Sun. afternoon.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Love my Dillon 550B!

Hell yes!

and on a side note about to put mine on the EE to fund an upgrade to a 650
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OK, where were you guys when Doug was teaching a basic reloading class at Kudzu Tactical in Marietta? :-)  Hit them up and they'll schedule another one, with either Doug or myself teaching it :-)

He's teaching another one scheduled for 14th Jan. Filling up fast though....

Great for beginners.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I use, I started with a 550B, but the powder check die is a VERY significant improvement, my only gripes are the primer feed system is more complicated than on a 550B and you pretty much NEED to have the electric casefeed with a 650 due to the way it loads cases on the toolhead.

Thats not true at all...It comes with a case feed tube installed and you just drop them in there. I am not a fan of the 550b. There is no benefit to it not being auto index and its a major shortfall. If anything it increases the likelyhood of a double charge.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's teaching another one scheduled for 14th Jan. Filling up fast though....

Great for beginners.

I was in the December class.  My decision to go for broke was because I want to load subsonic 308.  Just waiting for a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle to come ino my possession, along with the YHM Phantom I just paid for last week and hopefully get the paperwork sent out soon.  (I've had the rifle on order since September!!)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a big fan of the Dillon Square Deal for pistol calibers. I had one in 45, one in 40, and one in 9 when I was an active USPSA shooter. I THOUGHT I wanted to reload 223 so I bought a Dillon 550B and sold two of the Square Deals (the 9 and the 40).

Reloading 223 is a big pain. Preparing rifle cases in a pain. If you really do the math on 223, I do not think it is worth the effort UNLESS you are reloading some type of custom load other then 55FMJ. Otherwise, I would buy the cheapest 223 you can get for practice and buy PMC. Federal, etc. on sale for matches.

I always suggest that new reloaders start with a Dillon Square Deal. If you really get the bug, you can always get most of your money out of the Square Deal if you just have to upgrade to a 550 or 650. There are always Square Deals for sale on Ebay, etc.

I used to reload a lot of shotgun but quit because I can buy basic dove-quail loads for about the same price as reloads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
FFL holders (Including C&R) get a discount on all these loaders through Grafs, Including Dillon

SDB is a great, reliable, fast press, but once again, expensive to change calibers and proprietary dies.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true at all...It comes with a case feed tube installed and you just drop them in there. I am not a fan of the 550b. There is no benefit to it not being auto index and its a major shortfall. If anything it increases the likelyhood of a double charge.

Reaching up to stack more brass in the tube is a hassle, I started off without a casefeeder and quickly decided to get one.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
gibrass.com also has deals on some powders, I've never ordered from them though.  I do have my C&R license and get discounts from Grafs and widners. As already has been said I'd also recommend a C&R license to anyone who is going to do a lot of reloading. If you want to drop by the house and get a tour of my casting and reloading setup, just let me know I'm in Mcdonough.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FFL holders (Including C&R) get a discount on all these loaders through Grafs, Including Dillon

SDB is a great, reliable, fast press, but once again, expensive to change calibers and proprietary dies.

That is why I had three Square Deals - I decided to just leave them set up and not buy the caliber changes. I had a 38 Special caliber change but never used it. I loaded 9x19 and 9x21 on the same SDB.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Love my Dillon 550B!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an RCBS Pro 2000, and really like it.  I'm sure I'm the odd ball here with that.

foreman2000, you can start reloading on a budget with a few hundred bucks, or you can spend thousands.  Most people will recommend that you start with a single stage kit.  Keep in mind that NO kit comes with everything you need.  

Lee is the cheapest way to go.  

Hornady and RCBS make great single stage presses.

If you're like me and think you want to skip the single stage, then the choices get a bit harder.  Everyone will say the press they have is the best.  (like mine), but the truth is they are all good, and all have positives in different areas.  Dillon, Hornady and RCBS are the three I'd look at for progressives.  

Also keep in mind if you start on a single stage, you will not be wasting your money, as it will always be nice having it around, even when you upgrade to the Dillon 1050.

I know there are a bunch of reloaders in Georgia because whenever I go to the range, all the brass has already been picked up.  The point here is that most reloaders are good people (I have found) and love helping new people get started.  It's a great hobby, and almost as fun as shooting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and on a side note about to put mine on the EE to fund an upgrade to a 650

Well there ya go OP...just buy that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top