Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:01:56 PM EDT
What is the procedure for legally registering a SBR?

I have never done anything NFA.  
I am itching to get an SBR with a suppressor.
I am not too worried about the suppressor, as I know the dealer I buy it from will pretty much handle everything, but I want to be in compliance after I purchase the upper.
Would the rifle require 2 NFA stamps? Is it as simple as filing out paperwork and waiting?
What if I want to buy a suppressor from a private individual?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would advise you to buy a factory SBR, if for no other reason than the wait on a Form 1 (if you make it yourself) is nearly twice as long than a form 4 (to outright purchase an NFA item).  A SBR and a suppressor would require 2 stamps. If you buy from an individual your end of the process is the same.  And, yes, if you have the $200 for the stamp, it is nearly as simple as filling out the paperwork and waiting.  You would either need to create a Revocable living trust, or go the CLEO signoff route.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need 2 stamps.  One for the suppressor and one for the SBR.  I would head over to the SBR forum under the Armory section.  There is a wealth of information available.  If not I a, sure Bookhound and his red loc-tite will swing by soon or one of our other resident Class III experts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would advise you to buy a factory SBR, if for no other reason than the wait on a Form 1 (if you make it yourself) is nearly twice as long than a form 4 (to outright purchase an NFA item).  A SBR and a suppressor would require 2 stamps. If you buy from an individual your end of the process is the same.  And, yes, if you have the $200 for the stamp, it is nearly as simple as filling out the paperwork and waiting.  You would either need to create a Revocable living trust, or go the CLEO signoff route.

Oh how true "Form 1 is nearly twice as long than a form 4" and if I had known I would have done same.
Allthough you possibly will save a couple hundred bucks building your own SBR lower.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait times are the same for form 4 or 1.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of manufacturers will work with you to get the factory SBR with specifications you want, even if it's not some front page offering. Just something for people to consider.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the EE. I believe our own WV hillbilly had his lower forsale just a few days ago.  That would be an instate transfer.

Still $200 though
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am not too worried about the suppressor, as I know the dealer I buy it from will pretty much handle everything, but I want to be in compliance after I purchase the upper.
Would the rifle require 2 NFA stamps? Is it as simple as filing out paperwork and waiting?

I have  a noveske factory sbr lower. Drop me a email if you are interested.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My form 1 only took 3 months. My buddies on the other hand is going on 5. If you have patience and aren't obsessive the time should go by fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]
It's about 5-6 months for form 1 and 4 approval.  It was around 90 days but no longer.  Check nfatracker for the stats.  Look at the past 6 month section they added.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have  a noveske factory sbr lower. Drop me a email if you are interested.

this ia that hillbilly I was talking 'bout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top