Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 1:38:01 PM EDT
I'm really really interested in going to the cmp south store

That said its a he'll of a haul for me, so I was wondering if anyone else between savahanna and said destination is interested in going? Maybe tossin a dude a ten spot for gas or something, maybe not.

I'm thinking about going Saturday, I know that's kinda short notice but I Allready have some business about halfway between here and there this weekend, so I figured I'd see if anyone else was interested

I also heard that they just put out a metric shit ton of "new" garands.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to go and buy a Garand but I can't right now. They'll probably run totally out before I can buy one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I probably won't get any more than a sling, I just wanna finger bang those beautiful ladies.

So I'm not gonna pass judgement on any company that wants to tag along and do the same.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm really really interested in going to the cmp south store

That said its a he'll of a haul for me, so I was wondering if anyone else between savahanna and said destination is interested in going? Maybe tossin a dude a ten spot for gas or something, maybe not.

I'm thinking about going Saturday, I know that's kinda short notice but I Allready have some business about halfway between here and there this weekend, so I figured I'd see if anyone else was interested

I also heard that they just put out a metric shit ton of "new" garands.

No "new" Garands.  What they did do is put the Service Grade classification of rifles back in the store.  They pulled all store sales of Service Grades to fufill the mail orders for the last year or so, then they pulled them from mail order.  Basically they ran out of rifles that meet the Service Grade criteria.  They have 2,000 Service Grades to sell, and they won't last long.

Do yourself a favor and

#1 Make sure you have all the requirements in place to purchase before you head to the store. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm  and

#2 Have your paperwork filled out.  http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/pdfs/1orderformfillable.pdf

They have a notary in store so don't worry about that part, and you can join a member affiliated organization (Garand Collectors Association) in store as well.

Trust me once you get there, you're going home with a rifle, that I can guarantee you.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
So since a  G W L , doesn't involve live fire it can't be counted in the marksman  requirement ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
so what is the going rate of one of the "new" ones nowadays?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't think I need marksmanship, I have a mil I'd and my rifle qual card from aug

Not that it matters, I couldn't take one home if I wanted too

And besides I'd rather have a springfield
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I had been considering going sometime soon, but I was just told I need a crown and that my portion = the cost of a service grade so I won't be going after all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
This is almost as bad as when all 6 girls I asked to prom said they couldn't causes their grandfathers had died.

Guess I'll do the same thing this time. Sit at home and look at pictures of guns and self flagellate .
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So since a  G W L , doesn't involve live fire it can't be counted in the marksman  requirement ?

Yes your GWL meets the requirement.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Service Grade "Specials" are as "new" as you'll get.    It's basically a rifle with "collector grade" metal with a new CMP stock that's $950.  Honestly the best deal in the store are the Service Grades for $625.  Go to the store ask for Leon and he'll help you pick out a good one.  Or simply borrow the CMP Muzzle Erosion tools and walk down the line dropping the tool in the muzzle.  Find one with the lowest number and it will be the best shooter.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Service Grade "Specials" are as "new" as you'll get.    It's basically a rifle with "collector grade" metal with a new CMP stock that's $950.  Honestly the best deal in the store are the Service Grades for $625.  Go to the store ask for Leon and he'll help you pick out a good one.  Or simply borrow the CMP Muzzle Erosion tools and walk down the line dropping the tool in the muzzle.  Find one with the lowest number and it will be the best shooter.

I would have to have a shooter, not a collector. So when you wanna go? :-)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Just go! They aint making anymore

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have to have a shooter, not a collector. So when you wanna go? :-)

The only "collector" rifles the CMP sells are the Correct or Collector grades.  Everything else are "mixmasters" meaning although they are all 100% USGI they have been rearsenaled and have a mix of different manufacturer parts from different era's and production dates.  Correct and Collector grades have all the parts made from the same manufacturer from the same time frame that the receiver was made.  The CMP no longer sells WWII Correct or Collector grades just Korean War era ones.  A 100% correct WWII era Garand will run you a minimum of $1,500 and up to $5,000 +

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Man you guys are killing me with all of this Garand pressure. I'm waiting a month or two until I get my tax return, then it's road trip time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Any one else?

I still have to go halfway, just looking for someone to be my excuse to take the trip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top