Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:44 AM EDT
Just found out the double-wide mobile home is getting forclosed/repoed of my brother-in-law who has 4 kids and a wife.  He said he just turned 3 months late and made a Western Union bill pay for the mortgage.  But it wasn't enough, his loan company is going to try and forclose/repo the trailer.  They have had trouble making timely payments for years and fell behind 3 or 4 payments twice in the past.

4 kids and only one bread-winner, but they still have internet, cell phones, directv, and a $75 month gym membership.  His wife can't cook well but no worries because they eat out 3 or 4 times a week.  Food stamps pays for box pizzas, and other easy cook foods but they are always starving and asking for help by the end of the month (he gets paid monthly).

He called me for a loan to pay $900 in lawyer fees and another $600 for a mortgage payment so he is only one month behind.  WTF is wrong with people.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
4 kids and only one bread-winner, but they still have internet, cell phones, directv, and a $75 month gym membership.  His wife can't cook well but no worries because they eat out 3 or 4 times a week.  Food stamps pays for box pizzas, and other easy cook foods but they are always starving and asking for help by the end of the month (he gets paid monthly).

I think you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just found out the double-wide mobile home is getting forclosed/repoed of my brother-in-law who has 4 kids and a wife.  He said he just turned 3 months late and made a Western Union bill pay for the mortgage.  But it wasn't enough, his loan company is going to try and forclose/repo the trailer.  They have had trouble making timely payments for years and fell behind 3 or 4 payments twice in the past.

He called me for a loan to pay $900 in lawyer fees and another $600 for a mortgage payment so he is only one month behind.  WTF is wrong with people.  

What exactly do you mean by "WTF is wrong with people?"  Do you mean:

1. How dare a landlord throw out a family who isn't paying their bills.  The landlord should let the family stay on the property and the landlord should just take the lost.

2. How dare someone make stupid lifestyle decisions and set their priorities all wrong and then suck taxpayers for welfare money.

Exactly with whom are you upset in this situation?

Mark  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. How dare a landlord throw out a family who isn't paying their bills.  The landlord should let the family stay on the property and the landlord should just take the lost.

2. How dare someone make stupid lifestyle decisions and set their priorities all wrong and then suck taxpayers for welfare money.

Mark  

I think he means number 2.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark  

I've got a hunch its #2

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark  

I've got a hunch its #2

I hope it's number 2 or I don't think this is gonna end well for the OP.

It probably will not help but give him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Make Over".  It sure is a eye opener and if you follow it and finally get debt free it sure does make you feel proud as a
father and a husband to know your family is financially secure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i'd hope your response was something along the lines of "FOAD".
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
#2.  They live like they make another $50k and year and ask for handouts all the time.  He was just bragging a month ago when their 4th kid was born it doesn't matter what he spends as long as he pays his bills.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess for some it takes the harshness of reality (getting kicked to the curb) before they change their ways.  Unfortunately some folks never change, instead learning the system and leaching off of taxpayers even more than before.

eta:  I never understand why people will pay all those other bills but will not pay their mtg/ car pmt.  Getting to work and having a place to live is pretty damn important, put those bills first!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
..... as he pays his bills.
I hope you reflected this part back to him.    

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark  

I've got a hunch its #2

It probably will not help but give him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Make Over".  It sure is a eye opener and if you follow it and finally get debt free it sure does make you feel proud as a

father and a husband to know your family is financially secure.

Dave Ramsey's material can really help a person/family out financially and spiritually at the same time....

But the person/family in question has to WANT those changes to really get it going right.

Ramsey's stuff definitely set a few of my friends, mentors, and cousins straight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Dave Ramsey will be in ATL soon. I saw in the church bulletin yesterday. Not sure of date but I'm sure GOOGLE will tell you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

#2.  They live like they make another $50k and year and ask for handouts all the time.  He was just bragging a month ago when their 4th kid was born it doesn't matter what he spends as long as he pays his bills.

Figured that was it but I wanted to make sure.  I sincerely didn't want to offend you with comments like, "Dude, giving them money won't help.  You will be rewarding the bad behavior and they aren't being taught the needed lesson of hitting rock bottom and then having to dig themselves out of the hole by changing their behavior."

I had an uncle (by marriage ) who was always behind on his mortgage.  He played the lottery every week, had all the cable channels, new 4-wheeler, etc.  You know the story.  Well, he finally hit like $4K on some lottery scratch off game.  He was behind like $1500 on the mortgage notes and had like $3K on credit cards.  Guess what he used the money to buy?

NASCAR collectibles!  Yep.  JUNK is more like it.  Oh, and another deer huntin' rifle.  He had to pawn it all a month later for pennies on the dollar and never picked his garbage up from the poor pawn broker who got stuck with it.

Ya just can't help people like that with a loan.

Oh, and if you ever give someone a loan, make sure it is money you give them as a gift.  At least in your mind view it that way so you aren't disappointed when you don't get it back.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But the person/family in question has to WANT those changes to really get it going right.

THIS. So many wonderful things could happen for people if they really wanted it to. Not just "oh that would be nice" but REALLY want it. "Be the change you want" and all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife is on board with me even though it is her brother.  She said it is time for them to learn a life lesson so we are not helping this time.  I worry after moving my sister and her 3 kids in our basement for 8 months after her husband kicked her to the curb, my wife's brother has the same idea.  But that was a total different situation, she couldn't have prevented where she was and she has severe MS.  I told my in-law without a doubt there was no way we could ever have someone move in our basement again, it is emotionally and financially impossible

His theory was he was so upside down on the trailer and because it was so hard to move, that they would never take it.  He has been as much as 4 months behind and they worked with him to get it current.  But since then he filed chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago and kept the trailer out of the bankruptcy.  His mortgage company knows that and know he can't file chapter 7 again for another 5 or 9 years or whatever it is.  So they can take his trailer, sell it and garnish his wages for the rest. He is so screwed if he can't keep this thing out of foreclosure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#15]
What is it they say, "Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."

I am not intending that as an insult to you or your family. It just burns me up to see folks like have been described by you and other posters in this thread.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is let them work it out. We always tell our kid, "Solve your problem.", and she's only 6yo. Some folks need to develop life skills and they won't ever do it if they don't "have" to. Stay strong. Sounds like you are committed. I think I speak for most here when I say we applaud you for it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Some people just can't handle money.  Someone I knew had an ego problem about jobs, he got laid off from LockMart and then let his ego get in the way of taking any "lesser" jobs, but he still wanted to go out to eat regularly.  When he finally DID accept a job at an auto repair chain, he quit the second day because they weren't being nice enough to him - never mind that they were facing eviction from their apartment over unpaid rent.  When his wife finally left him, her teenager daughter wound up living with us for several months, I wound up having to buy a complete wardrobe for her because she had almost no clothing in decent condition (which is why it pisses me off so much that her mother encouraged my ex in the divorce, she never even attempted to reimburse me for any expenses I incurred taking care of her daughter, even after she remarried).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dave Ramsey will be in ATL soon. I saw in the church bulletin yesterday. Not sure of date but I'm sure GOOGLE will tell you.

Most churches in the area are kicking off their Financial Peace University (FPU) programs right about now.  It is a 13 week course that can change the way you think about money, especially if you are the spender. We do one session in the Fall and one in the Winter (about the time the Christmas credit card bills roll in).

I think tuition for a couple is ~ $100. If you think they'd go, you might offer to pay them back the $100 if their facilitator will write you a note and say they successfully participated, but you'll know by the way they behave and the way their language changes. My church sometimes offers scholarships, but the problem with a "free class" is that there is no skin in the game, so the folks don't bother to show up after the 1st or 2nd class.  If you look on the Dave Ramsey website for FPU, you get the e-mail address of the facilitator.

You can find a local class here: http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/

ETA: We've had both my FIL and BIL live with us for 6+ months each, thankfully not at the same time. Don't think you are alone with having relatives who make bad decisions. My BIL has two bachelor's and two master's degrees from Georgia Tech. He's not dumb, he just makes bad decisions. Lots of people out there who want a free ride.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#18]
just looked at it online. I wish i could attend but not with my schedule. I am going to do the "attend online" thing starting next week.

good luck with your bil
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]

father and a husband to know your family is financially secure

Is this book legit or what? I am not hurting or behind on the bills but it would only take a pinkslip and the tailspin would start. I would like to have a peace of mind to know if i lost my job or had to take a paycut i wouldnt sink like a rock from the get go!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is this book legit or what? I am not hurting or behind on the bills but it would only take a pinkslip and the tailspin would start. I would to have a peace of mind to know if i lost my job or had to take a paycut i wouldnt sink like a rock from the get go!!

It's a great book that outlines a simple plan by baby steps .  The book and classes expand on these steps and then some.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#21]
listen to dave on 640 am in the afternoon, there are some real winners out there that really need a wake up. His show is also on TV. Some people come back from disaster and are DEBT FREE. It works, I've been living it for years and have been debt free for a long time. I've been doing it before  he became famous, he's been around the Nashville area for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Been totally debt free 10 months now and never going back. Cash is king. Hearing people on the Ramsey show was inspiring.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is this book legit or what? I am not hurting or behind on the bills but it would only take a pinkslip and the tailspin would start. I would like to have a peace of mind to know if i lost my job or had to take a paycut i wouldnt sink like a rock from the get go!!

No joke. Came home one night with the wife in tears. I had my head in the sand and she was doing the bills. Behind on almost everything. I had been listening to Dave on the radio for the previous few weeks and was going to bring it up anyway.
No time like a crisis. It was a very rough three years, We are currently debt free (except the house) and have more than enough in the bank in case something happens. I recommend it to everyone I meet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If some people read this and just want a taste of some of the Ramsey baby steps and workbooks, I can probably email you some PDF files I have left over from awhile back.

I may  still have electronic access to some of the reading material as well....just to see if it seems like something that may help you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Larue, you have a PM.

FYI trailer mortgage company says any payment will go to the legal fees before they will apply it to their 2 late mortgage payments.  They are not willing to compromise, but I can't blame them.  After talking to BIL this evening, he says he stays a month or two behind all the time and "skips every December payment to buy Christmas with" then asks them at the beginning of the year to tack it onto the end of their loan.  He said he has done this the last 6 years.  WTF over?!?!   Who in their freaking right mind skips a mortgage payment EVERY year to buy Christmas???
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Larue, you have a PM.

FYI trailer mortgage company says any payment will go to the legal fees before they will apply it to their 2 late mortgage payments.  They are not willing to compromise, but I can't blame them.  After talking to BIL this evening, he says he stays a month or two behind all the time and "skips every December payment to buy Christmas with" then asks them at the beginning of the year to tack it onto the end of their loan.  He said he has done this the last 6 years.  WTF over?!?!   Who in their freaking right mind skips a mortgage payment EVERY year to buy Christmas???

I feel the pain.  I have family members who are borrowing their way into a deep, deep hole right now.  $2000 TV, $100+ a month cable, $50,000 truck, $2000 a month apartment, BIG christmas presents, Iphones with the expensive data plan, etc... on an exceedingly modest salary.  Oh, and a wedding too!

Part of me feels bad for them(they are family...) while the other part is just plain fed-up with the BS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Emails sent to those who asked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Larue, you have a PM.

At least he doesn't have to pay those high credit card bills in Jan/Feb. Nothing like financing Christmas over 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Figured that was it but I wanted to make sure.  I sincerely didn't want to offend you with comments like, "Dude, giving them money won't help.  You will be rewarding the bad behavior and they aren't being taught the needed lesson of hitting rock bottom and then having to dig themselves out of the hole by changing their behavior."

I had an uncle (by marriage ) who was always behind on his mortgage.  He played the lottery every week, had all the cable channels, new 4-wheeler, etc.  You know the story.  Well, he finally hit like $4K on some lottery scratch off game.  He was behind like $1500 on the mortgage notes and had like $3K on credit cards.  Guess what he used the money to buy?

NASCAR collectibles!  Yep.  JUNK is more like it.  Oh, and another deer huntin' rifle.  He had to pawn it all a month later for pennies on the dollar and never picked his garbage up from the poor pawn broker who got stuck with it.

Oh, and if you ever give someone a loan, make sure it is money you give them as a gift.  At least in your mind view it that way so you aren't disappointed when you don't get it back.

I haven't read the entire post yet but I trust that everyone here paid attention to this statement!
This is my rule whenever I "loan" something out.  Whatever it may be, if I can not give it away to that person, I do not loan it out.  Period.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh, and to comment on the other comments about having peace of mind.  Got out of debt back in 1998.  Had to get out of the city limits and bought a place out in the country but with a small loan.  You know, after being out of debt and then having a mortage again....

Well we havn't owed a bank anywhere again for the last 2 years.  And we will not have another mortage payment again, even though we are trying to relocate.  

How did we do it?  We understood from early on that you have to live within your means and what the Bible taught about responsibility (stewartship).  Way before we ever heard of Dave.  I am glad that D.R. is reaching so many out there.

Edited to add: And by working my tail off!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#31]
The only one(s) I feel any sympathy for are the kids. They didn't have a choice in who they were born to.

No offense, but your brother-in-law is a dumbass and needs to man up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No offense, but your brother-in-law is a dumbass and needs to man up.

No offense taken, we are actually on the same page.  Hopefully he will get his head out of his tail before they find themselves without a home.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh, and to comment on the other comments about having peace of mind.  Got out of debt back in 1998.  Had to get out of the city limits and bought a place out in the country but with a small loan.  You know, after being out of debt and then having a mortage again....

Well we havn't owed a bank anywhere again for the last 2 years.  And we will not have another mortage payment again, even though we are trying to relocate.  

How did we do it?  We understood from early on that you have to live within your means and what the Bible taught about responsibility (stewartship).  Way before we ever heard of Dave.  I am glad that D.R. is reaching so many out there.

Edited to add: And by working my tail off!!!!!!!!!

Dave does a great job of explaining finances so that they are easy to understand as well as relevant with great examples. He's also a very funny guy. I could never get my wife to understand the time value of money. We never had a ton of debt, but the first session in FPU she finally "got" it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Larue, you have a PM.

His name isn't "Joe" is it?

Sounds exactly like my ex-brother in law!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.gon.com/marketplace/listings/2594/nascar_need_to_sell

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top