Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 12:43:46 PM EDT
Reading another thread got me wondering....

Lets say you live in county X & there is a state/fed rep over in county Y that does crap you don't like.

Apparently the trend is now a "if you're not one of my constituents, F off."

What's the recourse? Appeal to Sonny?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Find some dirt on'em and take them down.  They can tall ya to piss off all day long.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.

Is their county affecting yours (i.e. water rights, land use, burn pits, etc, harassing police, etc...) ? If so then you should go to that county's council first and identify the leaders who are blocking the issue. Then yes, take it to State leadership.

Now if its just a policy or something, then nothing. Donate to their opponent's campaign.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend your time/money to campaign against them in the upcoming election, assuming hey are elected.  If they are not elected find out who they report to and file a complaint.  Find others that have similar experiences as you and have them file a complaint.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I just have to ask, why do we have to wait for the next election cycle to get that elected official OUT of office?

If this official is causing harm, get them out now!

Impeach?

Recall?

Can we get Sonny to fire them?

GA is a right to work state.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just have to ask, why do we have to wait for the next election cycle to get that elected official OUT of office?

Impeach?

Recall?

Sonny cant just "fire" a representative. They are elected. To be impeached there must be a vaild reason.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impeach?

Recall?

Sonny cant just "fire" a representative. They are elected. To be impeached there must be a vaild reason.

Ok.... for the impeachment they have to break the law, right?

So in GA you can impeach, get them to resign on their own,  or recall (very hard). Nothing else right?

From wiki:
Impeachment is the first of two stages in a specific process for a legislative body to consider whether or not to forcibly remove a government official from office. The impeachment itself brings the charges against the official.

Impeachment does not necessarily result in removal from office; it is only a legal statement of charges, parallel to an indictment in criminal law. An official who is impeached faces a second legislative vote (whether by the same body or another), which determines conviction, or failure to convict, on the charges embodied by the impeachment. Most constitutions require a supermajority to convict. Although the subject of the charge is criminal action, it does not constitute a criminal trial; the only question under consideration is the removal of the individual from office, and the possibility of a subsequent vote preventing the removed official from ever again holding political office in the jurisdiction where he was removed.

The process should not be confused with a recall election. A recall election is usually initiated by voters and can be based on "political charges", for example mismanagement, whereas impeachment is initiated by a constitutional body (usually a legislative body) and is usually, but not always, based on an indictable offense. The process of removing the official is also different.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top