Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 4:21:58 PM EDT
With all of the sudden interest in Freemasonry I thought I would try to relay how an important part of my life was assisted by my affiliation with a Lodge.

As  many of you know I made a major move a little more than a year ago.

In October of '06 I moved away from my family and all of my friends to start a new business. My Wife was a school teacher in Gwinnett Co and she was working under contract. She preferd not to break her contract for many reason.

I was basically alone until school was out at the end of May.

When  I arrived in Laurens Co I knew exactly two people. They were both good guys, but little more than acquaintances.

My affiliation with Masons made my transition much easier and gave my life a little much needed stability.

I immediately petitioned the Lode for membership and attended as a visitor until I was approved.

I was welcomed into the Lodge and I was made to feel like family almost immediately. I was eating out most nights, because I hate to cook for one. The meals I ate at the Lodge were something worth looking forward to since it was good home cooking.

Masonry was an important part of my life prior to this somewhat unique experience, but I never appreciated the Brotherhood to this extent.

I would have made it without my Masonic affiliation, but it would have been many times more difficult.

I know few people move to an unknown town and begin a new career in their late 30's, but I've always been a gambler and it's suited me well.

It's difficult for me to put my feelings on paper, but I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say.

TD
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I really hope your thread doesn't get turned into a circus like mine. I agree with you, which is why I am looking to become a member.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If it turns into a "circus" so be it....

You got a couple of smart ass answers in your original post, but I thought most of the responses were relevant to your inquiry.

Are you black or white?????

That will make a huge difference regarding the Lodge you chose to petition.

TD
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Serious question: Does your race play a role within the masons?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Serious answer: Yes

TD
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I learn something new every day. Thanks for the info TD.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I was aware that Prince Hall was for black Masons, but didn't know if the other lodges were strictly white. Asking seriously, what if a guy is hispanic? Can he join?

A good friends dad just passed away. He was a 32 level Mason. He talked about sponsoring us, but we didn't pursue it. I'm curious about it and wonder if there is something I'm missing out on that I'd want to be associated with it for, but I don't want to waste my time or others time by pursuing it to only find out it's not what I thought.

When he passed away he had a Masonic funeral. It was different and ritualistic, but nothing appeared unholy or antichristian.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You got a couple of smart ass answers in your original post, but I thought most of the responses were relevant to your inquiry.

TD

Obligatory smart ass answer... so this thread isn't about free bricks or the stuff that goes in between?

Seriously, glad you had some way of getting established in a new town.  I imagine that the folks there aren't as transient as we Gwinnettians are.  

I guess I'd like to know more about the FMs.  Have to crank up google and check it out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Seriously?  Is it in the books/teaching, or will it die out with the older generation?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Seriously?  Is it in the books/teaching, or will it die out with the older generation?

The separation of the lodges happened around the time of the Revolutionary War. There is no official prohibition which would preclude non whites from joining, admission or rejection is left up to the individual lodge.

And as far a google search on the Fraternity goes, you'll find a lot more bunk and bullshit than actual fact. The interwebz is the ultimate misinformation medium for those who harbor ill will against Freemasonry. You're a lot better off talking to a member of the local lodge in person.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Still want to join now?? (j/k)
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So uh, what do they do? My dads uncle has been a mason for since before I was born.....In fact all of his uncles are masons.

But I mean do they do anything for the communtiy? besides hold most of the top offices that make the decisions that affect our daily lives.

And whats thier ties with the illuminati?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a suspiscion, that while race plays a role, it is not the role that immediately comes to mind.

But they are FREEmasons afterall

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Still want to join now?? (j/k)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Gee, While an openly segregated, entity in the US?!?!?!? I can believe thats allowed, I guess the "reveremds" are members, so that makes it ok.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a uncle that once was a freemason. He is a fine man, with outstanding character. While helping him move one day we ran across some old masonic paraphanalia. He told me that he thought he threw out that old stuff. After disposing of it he started telling me of how much of a cult that the freemason society is. He said that while driving down the road if someone was broke down on the side of the road, he could tell if they were a mason just by how they waved at the passing traffic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Did he show you the secret handshake?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did he show you the secret handshake?

No he didn't, but he also told me that it was a cult.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Now, I am not trying to stir the pot...But, this came from a site about freemasonry.

you should be someone who does, or wants to learn to, enjoy the company of other men from all different social classes, faiths, backgrounds, races, countries, etc. Masonry is universal in its ideals.

Wow thats not something that I want to be part of

And before you call me a liar......
Heres where I quoted it from
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Now, I am not trying to stir the pot...But, this came from a site about freemasonry.

you should be someone who does, or wants to learn to, enjoy the company of other men from all different social classes, faiths, backgrounds, races, countries, etc. Masonry is universal in its ideals.

Wow thats not something that I want to be part of

And before you call me a liar......
Heres where I quoted it from

Doesn't sound like any Lodge I've ever visited, nor one I would consider visiting.

Sounds more like a bunch of dirty hippies.

This afternoon we had a special lunch at the Lodge to honor the widows of Brother Masons. We also presented checks to the local volunteer fire departs for Christmas to show our appreciation for what they do.

There was also a presentation from the Shriner's today regarding their free children's hospitals. Their annual budget is in the 700 million range.

We were also told about a new skin regenerating technique that was perfected at the Shriner's burn hospital. They are treating soldiers that are burn victims from Iraq. They are charging the Government precisely zero for this service. They are doing to show their appreciation to the wounded soldiers.  

I guess that's cult like behavior at it's best.

TD
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I wasnt trying to say that they are a cult or homosexuals in any way. I greatly respect my uncles who are masons.

But when I read that I nearly spit water through my nose.....I felt that it was sooo homoerotic, that everyone would get a laugh out of it....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#22]
i guess you will always get answers all over the place when it comes to secret society kind of organizations, personally i don't care either way, secret hand shakes, winks at each other when they meet in public, really super duper cool licence plates and hats, rings and necklace ornaments what ever floats their boats. my father in law is a freemason, he's a pretty good guy but i never get a straight answer on what it means to be a freemason, i just know that a guy that is a freemason comes into the dealership service dept. and curses at our lady sercive advisor and acts like an asshat on ever trip, our parts manager is a freemason and comes out of the parts dept. and tells him to act right EVER time he comes in, i guess we scratched his license plate back in the day, i also guess we don't give special discounts to him and other companies around town treat him "special"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top