Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:29:41 AM EDT
I have no idea what AR is.  But since I'm joining ROTC, I thought I would familiarize myself with the innerworkings of an AR by getting an AR.

Big EDIT: I've decided to roll my own.

What parts do I need?  I'll be adding "one piece at a time, didn't cost me a dime"

Thank you for steering me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one a couple of years ago.  It was a jam-o-matic.  I ended up selling it at a loss to a friend who likes to tinker with their rifles.  Get a Bushmaster/colt/ or RRA.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a AR kit, put it together, save yourself a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks a lot to Prisonbus and LarryG for pushing me into the Armalite.  I tend to buy what I shoot at Group shoot and what I see in tactical classes.

Buy a Colt. They are much better rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Aaaarrghh.

I'm a complete AR idiot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aaaarrghh.

I'm a complete AR idiot.

Edit: Anyone interested in trading?  Look up my name under EE.  I have a goodie to sell/trade.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Build it. It will save you a few dollars and you will know alot more about your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm a complete AR idiot.

You sound like the perfect candidate to buy one complete unless you have a good friend or too that has built one.  

I take that back.  Buy a complete upper and a complete lower.  Slide the pins on the lower out.  Insert upper and slide the pins back.  You just built your AR.  Check out Eagle Firearms.  I know last year they had some really good prices on stripped and complete lowers.  Also, JKiser sells Stag stuff.  I have no first hand experience with there stuff but from what I hear its good stuff.

If I was going to buy one out of the box I would go with a RRA.  There NM rifles are very good out of the box.  Even there standard A4 would get you going.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Build one.  I had no idea how they worked when I started.  I looked through the DIY section on this board, and learned so much.  After a couple months of shooting and tinkering, I can build them from nothing but a bag of parts.

WARNING -- Building an AR will start you on a downward spiral that you may never recover from.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#9]
ARs are tinker-toys as far as putting them together...go for it.

If you need any help let me know, I have all the necessary tools.

Oh, get a decent lower (I like Rock River) and a decent trigger (I like John Holligers tuned RRA).  Everything else is just parts.  If this is going to be a blaster, look for a used bbl someone is selling, if you're going to use it in highpower (Yes, I am following you), buy once and cry once and get a decent bbl with 1-7 or 1-8 twist and a stock A2 FH.  I have a 1-9 on my HP AR and it does OK at 600yds, but I wish I had a 1-8.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I highly recomend checking out JKiser's STAG stuff.  I just got one and I cant tell the difference between thta and the RRA that I had before.  There pretty much the same parts anyway except for the symbol on the lower.  Great product if you ask my and honestly I wouldnt pay more money for RRA/Colt when your getting the same product with STAG.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]

What are the stags going for?
I usually buy RRA lowers for about $120 out the door at the Eastmans shows.
If the stags are same quality and less I may have to check one out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Stripped lowers or complete?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Sorry, stripped.  Yeah a complete for $120 would be robbery!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you Stimp.  I may have to take up on your favor

BTW, is A2 setup preferred over A4 setup in high power matches?  I just got a crash course on Highpower competition from Prisonbus over the group shoot and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Stimp, could you bring your Highpower rifle to the Action Pistol so I can see and get inspired?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#15]
My highpower setup is an A4.  You just put a carry handle on it.  I actually like that because I can switch between carry handles with NM sights (1/4 MOA) and standard 1/2MOA sights.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I highly recomend checking out JKiser's STAG stuff.  I just got one and I cant tell the difference between thta and the RRA that I had before.  There pretty much the same parts anyway except for the symbol on the lower.  Great product if you ask my and honestly I wouldnt pay more money for RRA/Colt when your getting the same product with STAG.

Just my 2 cents.

+100

Not to mention the fellow you'll be dealing with happens to be an A+ class person
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Yo Phil, did they finally approve removable carry handles for service rifle?  Been a while since I looked at a rulebook.

Graziani, I will try to remember to throw it in the truck.  You'll love my HP AR, it weighs 14 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.

+100

Not to mention the fellow you'll be dealing with happens to be an A+ class person

Actualy, if anyone could be better than A+ it would be JKiser.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Yo Phil, did they finally approve removable carry handles for service rifle? Been a while since I looked at a rulebook.

Hmmm.  Good question.  I dont know.  The club I shoot at has never said anything and I dont believe I recall reading the rules in depth enough to know.  They haven't said anything but I've only been a couple times.  I'm just competing for fun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Kyle.  I'll be back in Athens this Fall.

I got a big surprise coming for you GA gang, I'll reveal it hopefully next week or so

Quoted:
graziani,

If you're still in the Atens area I can help ya out with the build.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
12 pack.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Two FALs = 24 beers

Quoted:
12 pack.  24 bottles

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#24]
i have ar parts for trade on a fal build maybe!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks Kyle.  I'll be back in Athens this Fall.

I got a big surprise coming for you GA gang, I'll reveal it hopefully next week or so

Quoted:
graziani,

If you're still in the Atens area I can help ya out with the build.

You pregnant?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#26]
 Is that why?  I need to have a OBGYN appointment

Quoted:
You pregnant?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top