Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:56 AM EDT
I'm considering applying for an FFL and I have a few questions that I'd like to ask the FFL crowd. I have the regulations and application on it's way to my house but the two main questions I have are not likely to be answered there.

If you have an FFL and you don't mind answering these questions, I'd like to know, in your experience:

1. What's the upside of having an FFL?

2. What's the downside?

I've been researching this for a few days. I've read a lot online about the legalities involved, but I think these questions can only be answered by someone who actually has an FFL.

I appreciate any reply you can give. If you'd rather not post your reply in this thread, you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

- Chuck
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, a friend and I were considering getting into gunsmithing. He's already very good at it and I'm learning. From what I understand, an FFL is required to sell your services as a gunsmith.

My storefront would be my garage/shop for now, possibly something else later. I understand that there's a form that needs to be filled out and approved before that happens though.

I want to learn to build firearms. Not just buying a kit and assembling one... actually building them. I have no interest in selling firearms for a living but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea eventually.

I like learning how things work. I like to tinker. I'd like to build things like a supressor just to see if I could and to see if I could "build a better mouse-trap". From what I understand, that requires a manufacturers (Type 07, I believe) FFL but it still leaves me wondering if I would be able to purchase a rifle from John Doe in Texas and have him send it to me on my FFL. Does the manufacturers FFL allow me to deal in firearms as well or is an additional license required on top of the Type 01? I expect I'll get a lot of those questions answered when the regulations arrive... but the more information I find online, the more questions I seem to have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Whadda ya know, the PDF of the 2005 regulations is available from the ATF right here. Only 243 pages worth? Looks like I got some readin' to do!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The ITAR is the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, correct? What does that have to do with a manufacturers FFL?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Part 122 of the guidelines (pages 451-453) titled REGISTRATION OF MANUFACTURERS AND IMPORTERS states:

Section 122.2
(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Office of Trade Controls. Manufacturers who do not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

Section 122.3
(a) A person who is required to register may do so for a period up to 2 years upon submission of a completed Form DS-2032, transmittal letter, and payment of fee as follows:
1 year................................$1,750.00
2 years...............................$3,500.00

Screw

THAT.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top