Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 6:43:11 PM EDT
Howdy!
I hope y'all had an excellent Thanksgiving!

I'm trying to find out, in the FCC website, what is necessary for the license to use the GMRS radios.  

Apparently, one should use forms 159 and 605.  However, they are not clear and call for other forms and it never ends.

Anybody has gone through this chore?  Hints are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I am waiting(3 weeks and counting)for a Garmin Rhino 120(GPS-FRS-GMRS)to arrive,and after some study,I do not plan to use the GMRS function.$75 for a 5 year lic. aint bad,but the paperwork is a fiasco...A buddy who's into ham radios said there aint many GMRS repeaters around,and in a SHTF situation,a FCC fine is not a tier one worry...Yeah,I'm no help...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The Garmins are nice.  As I already own a Garmin E-Trex Vista I decided to go for the radio only.

I got the Remington in the Thanksgiving promotion at Bass-Pro Shop.  Still could not figure out exactly what/how to submit those forms.  It's almost like the FCC does not want people sending them...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
There are so many of these radios out there that I wouldn't even worry about it. $75 to use the air that we breathe? Give me a break. I did not even know that I needed a license until I opened the radios. The package never even mentioned the fact that they are licensed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the same crap they did when CB radios first were out.  Did you know you were supposed to have a license to use a CB?  I actually got one, 30 bucks and it was good for 4 or 5 years IIRC.

If I were to get something like that today, I might "forget" to send in the paperwork, just don't use it for commercial purposes, and don't use it 24/7.  You never heard that from ol wrench.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top