Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2003 7:13:14 AM EDT
I've had my treestand--a climber that I camoflage very well--hidden in the woods for a a month now.  I hope some azzwhole hasn't found it and cut the lock off it or valdalized it.  My treestand is left in the woods probably 90% of the nights during deer season and I've yet to have it stolen.  But, my paranoia has never went away.  To this day, my heart rate increases as I walk up to where my stand is supposed to be.  I've ruined my morning hunts on several occasions because I couldn't find my stand!

I hate it when I forget which ammo my rifle--usually a 7.62x39 AR--is sighted for.  I thought I had it sighted for GA's 125gr Nosler  Ballistic Tips, but I was making sure my gear is ready last night, during which time I couldn't find any Nos BTs!  Dammit I hate that!  So, I'll be leaving work this afternoon in a panic to get to the hunt-club before dark so that I can verify or re-sight my rifle for 125gr Remington SP in the green-and-yellow box.  I hope there's nobody there where I do my sighting-in.  

I've decided to change my strategy this year; something I should have done long ago...a change in strategy is what I should have already done, not necessarily a change to what I've decided to do.  I've almost always hunted in areas with a long and wide field of view.  It’s a lot less boring that way.  I see a great many does, but with the exception of two years ago when I saw a monster during bow season, I never see mature bucks.  I don’t want to shoot a doe, and I don’t want a puny buck, so, if I don’t change my tactics, I don’t really have a reason to go hunting except to be outside…I know, that’s enough, but…

I now believe the mature bucks--at least at the club--very rarely venture into the open during the day, and I’m nearly positive that they do this when the high-pressure of gun season arrives.  I hunted the power line last season, some days for every daylight hour but 2-3 around lunchtime and I never saw a buck at all.  However, the sumac trees at the foot of the very tree I occupied would be rubbed during the night!  Encouraged by the sign of buck activity, I vainly stayed in that spot.

For a change, I was scouting the very thick pine and blackberry thickets this fall when I found a place that was a little more open than the rest of the thicket; I can see about 50 yards in most any direction after I improved the area by pulling the dead limbs off the bottom of the trees’ canopy--you know, how a pine tree will have several dead limbs near the bottom.  I took a piece of rope with me, tied a stick on one end, threw it up over the dead limbs, and then used the rope to pull them down.  I must say the technique worked like a charm.  I plan to use the technique to gather drier-than-on-the-ground firewood on my next camping excursion.  

Where was I?...Oh yea...During this year’s bow season, I only saw one deer while in this thicket, but it was a bigger-than-average deer of undetermined sex--it was very late in the day, but the size suggests strongly it was a buck.  It was at the very edge of my visibility and of course, I took no shot.  Seeing a big deer is always exciting, but the rest of the time was intensely boring.  I already trying to talk myself out of this new strategy and move my tree stand to a more open area.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT? I thought NEXT saturday was the opener...NOW I'M PISSED!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Let Jerry Peterson help you out on the calling part of the adventure.

www.woodswise.com/

Dave S

I use the WW155 call without the doe cartridge in the opposite end for grunts.  I took another WW155 and removed the buck cartridge and cut the tube 1/2" up from the buck end for my doe bleat call.  sswwweeeeeeeeeeet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well dang, welcome new guys, pull up the ottoman, listen to the_reject and s0ulze0, they are extremely respected for their knowledge and wisdom and make yourself comfortable.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...listen to the_reject and s0ulze0, they are extremely respected for their knowledge and wisdom...

Might wanna wipe off that nose, boy.  Got a little sumpin' on it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have the space, try stalking. I used to stay in the stand till I got tired of it then get down and stalk. Got good at sneaking up on them. Shot the last one (heart shot) on the run with a Browning A-bolt. I then cut the liver out and ate it there in the feild raw. Then howled at the moon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
well if that was your first your to drink the blood and become one with the animal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
You are correct about the bigger bucks already being nocturnal.  I’ve seen lots of evidence of this.  Your best chance at seeing one of these more mature bucks is during the rut.  Find the rubs and scrapes, set up just off a rub line and scent the area with estrus urine.  Learn how to produce a good doe bleat.  This usually brings some success.

I’m not a trophy hunter though.  I actually prefer taking 2-3 year old does.  Right at daybreak hit a fawn distress call.  Usually this will bring a doe or two.  This strategy also works during pre-rut.  And when the doe answers the call, often you’ll find a buck not too far behind.

Good luck this season.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By injun-ear
I now believe the mature bucks--at least at the club--very rarely venture into the open during the day, and I’m nearly positive that they do this when the high-pressure of gun season arrives.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

We've got a winner.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Who killed what this weekend? Any bigguns?
Remember, these posts will be useless without pics!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife's uncle killed a 7-pointer Thursday.  We didn't see anything else.  I've got a picture at home and will see about getting it posted later.

Three of us hunted Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning.  They stayed through the weekend and still didn't see anything else.

Two years ago on opening (rifle) day, 5 of us killed 7 deer before noon.  Last year three of us killed 4 deer before noon.  Maybe we should have left a few for this year.      

We're seeing all kinds of sign and tracks, but no deer.  It rained Friday afternoon.  After the rain, we checked some fields - the rain washed all the tracks.  Saturday morning, the fields were covered with tracks.  Those deer tore up the fields at night.  It was a little frustrating.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Went and checked the zero on my AR-10 on saturday(John's Mountain range was packed).Going to hunt a postage stamp in Floyd county on sat...Saw a itty-bitty doe today at work,would ALMOST be ashamed to shoot her,the little ones are so stupid,but TENDER!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know where I can find an educated guess on when the rut will start in NW Ga.?Oh, I'm still pissed about being a DUMBASS and not knowing when opening day was...head.gif
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Southwest GA (in Taylor county at least) can usually expect the rut right around Thanksgiving.  We've actually seen a LOT of activity about the end of the second week AND right after Thanksgiving.  A lot of guys were thinking the deer were rutting twice due to the ratio of does to bucks.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
BookHound,Thanks for the info.I'll figure a week or two earlier for up here,unless I get somemore info.Floyd Co. has doe days from Nov.15 till Dec.7,so I hope to spend a lot of that time in the woods.I'll be praying for rain-If it rains I dont work,and I'd rather hunt.SCREW the car payment!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I killed 2 does so far here in coweta county:)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice goin' whiskerz.

My wife's uncle works at a deer processor in Buford.  One of his customers was hunting a field opening weekend of rifle season in Suwanee.  This large 8-pointer stands up in the field and promptly was shot.  The deer feel straight to the ground.  After only a few seconds the deer stood back up.  So, the guy shot the deer again and it again fell.  After 20 minutes or so the hunter walks over to the deer only to find the eight pointer AND a FIFTEEN pointer!  The deer he thought stood back up was a 15-pointer.  Both deer lay not 10-feet apart.  What are the odds?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who killed what this weekend? Any bigguns?
Remember, these posts will be useless without pics!!

I killed only time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine, 1st with the AR, in Wilkinson County.  This is an 8 point, thin rack, body weighed over 200lbs.  Single shot to base of neck at 45yards, using 60gr Black Hills V-Max, out of RRA 16" stainless.  Deer ran 40 yards and expired.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice pic,nice deer.I got my first two does, in 2000,with a M-4gery,14.5bbl.Georgia Arms 69gn.BTHP-M.The first was at 40yds.she just dropped, second was at 11yds.she didnt go anywhere either, but the round was a squib.Did not cycle the action.I'm not using their ammo for hunting anymore.Gonna try Hornady 75gn.TAP,if I take the -15 out this year.After toting the -10 around this morning, and not seeing a damn thing, the 15 looks better and better,but the new aint worn off the 10 yet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top