Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2003 6:05:15 AM EDT
Has anyone ever looked into this?  I was reading up a few pages after seeing a post about the Alabama SDF.  I'm not going to knock it, but the gist of what I read was that you wear the Army uniform, and go to Downtown Atlanta whenever they need crowd control, or go to disaster areas within the State of GA.  To me it sounded like a shined up version of Civil Air Patrol.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you get to bring your own " hardware "?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope it expressley states that you will not be armed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard about it just recently on WSB 750 - Clark Howard show. If anyone is interested you can go to his site and he has an overview.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
nah, thanks anyhow... if the doo-doo is going down, I'll be home protecting me and mine.

Let me get this right, the Falcons actually win a game and the 'fans' go nuts and start an insurgence. These good people start looting and rioting and they want ME (us, you) to go downtown and ask them to quit?

I think I'll pass. On the other hand, if they let me bring my iron, that is a different story completely!

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Well lets start off by saying the falcons will never win.  That is all there is to it.  But if they did the only way I would go is with my AR.  That is the best way to control any situation.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The GaSDF is more of a "Force Multiplier" than a "First Responder" in the sense that they look like the Army or National Guard and at a distance, you (or Abdual or Achmed or whoever)can't tell the difference.  In the aftermath of 9/11, SDF's in the northeast responded along with the active duty guys and N/G at GroundZero, FreshKills Landfill, various military bases and powerplants.  While they where there, they acted as extra eyes and ears and where avaluable resource.  

Scoff if you will but it is a proven concept that is very cost effective.  Wouldn't it be nice if there where more programs like this.

ka
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top