Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 11:24:38 AM EDT
My cousin Paul died today of a heart attack.  He was 36 years old.  He leaves behind him a wife and two small children.

Paul was closer to me than most of my relatives, including my brother.  

Another friend of mine, Brian is 45 years old and is dying in a Hospice.  He had a terrible night last night and isn’t expected to live through the weekend.  Brian was diagnosed with colon cancer last September.  He was treated with chemo, but the cancer got into his liver early this spring.  He also will leave behind a wife and two kids.  

Maybe I’m posting this because it’s a wake up call.  It’s like cold water hitting me in the face.  I’m 35 and do exercise.  But I don’t eat as well as I should.  I could also stand to loose a few pounds (well more like 20-30).  I haven’t had a physical check up since I was 16 (yeah, how stupid is that?).  I don’t smoke but I do drink.  

Neither Brian nor Paul went to the doctor for regular check ups.  Neither exercised like they should.  Paul smoked like a chimney and drank a little more than he should have.  Paul (like me) had a family history of heart disease.  

Yes, this is in deed a wake up call.  It’s up to me to answer it.

BTW, I posted this in the GA forum because I feel like you guys are family.  Most of the friends I’ve made from here are in roughly in the same age group and in roughly the same shape as me.  If I’m too damn stubborn (or stupid) to learn from this, maybe at least one of you will take something positive away from it.  If you’re not happy about something in your life, do something about it while you have the chance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that, Book.  My condolences.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear it Mark. Lemme know if I can do anything. My Dad continues to lecture me to go get annual physicals and all that. I just don't really go to the doctor. Last physical I had was 5 years ago for my job. I need to get back into mountain biking or something.

Again, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Donny (-:
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate it guys.  I just don't think it's sunk in yet about Paul.  My Mom called me about an hour ago to tell me and I still just in disbelief.  He looked like he was in great shape last I saw him, which was several months ago (he lives out of state).

I'm going to try shedding a few pounds.  I do okay with the aerobic exercise, but I'll never lose weight without also changing the diet.  The hard thing will be to schedule a physical.  Man, I HATE needles.  Plus I'm not so keen on that whole ball grabing and ass probing thing either.    
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn BookHound that really sucks!
My condolences on the loss of your cousin.
I think if you go get a physical you might feel some relief.
Go get a clean bill of health and then work on what you need to.
You have my number.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Condolences Book.  Let us know if the family needs anything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Ross.  Remember this stuff was even on my mind last week when we ate lunch.  Another buddy of mine at work is 44.  He seemed to be in perfect health.  He is in great shape, runs several miles a day, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, is never stressed out and eat well.  He spent a week in the hospital for some type of heart problem (something with an enlarged valve).

I do need to have a physical.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks, Ross.  Remember this stuff was even on my mind last week when we ate lunch.  Another buddy of mine at work is 44.  He seemed to be in perfect health.  He is in great shape, runs several miles a day, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, is never stressed out and eat well.  He spent a week in the hospital for some type of heart problem (something with an enlarged valve).

I do need to have a physical.

I remeber talking about that at lunch.
I am setting a target date of 7/14 to start a healthier lifestyle. I know I am going to eat crap all weekend and then at the funshow the week after that. I can't just do the Bowflex, eat crap, and do virtually no cardio and expect to be very healthy. If you want a "diet buddy" just let me know. A friend of mine is a cerified trainor and said he would gladly help out with advice on exercise and diet.
Take care.
Ross
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bookhound, I am sorry to hear of your loss and pending loss.

We all take our health for granted until we don't have it anymore. I think it's human nature.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My condolences, buddy.  Thanks for sharing.  It's really admirable of you to put something personal and uncomfortable on the table with the hope of benefitting others.  We're definitely here for ya, pal.  I, too, have been "thinking" about my lifestyle.  I've found that I need to attack one segment at a time.  Once that segment becomes a habit, I move to the next one.  I gave up regular sodas a couple of years ago (trying to move to water only) and I rarely drink alcohol.  I've been working on my diet for a year or two.  I lost 40 pounds last year following the Slim-fast plan.  I didn't maintain it, though, and gained quite a bit back.  I just turned 35 this year and think that's the age to start getting yearly check-ups.  I'd be up for some mountain biking or whatever.  Maybe our group can carry over into things besides shooting.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, Mark. Let me know if you need anything.

Last year, my blood pressure went through the roof. I had my blood pressure taken on Wednesday and it was fine. By Friday, I wasn't feeling well and decided to get it checked again. It was 130/100. It stayed that way for a week and I have been on Altace ever since. My mother's father died of a heart attack at 42 and the doctors say that I inherited his blood pressure. I am only 32 and I can't stand the thought of not being around for my girls and my wife.

Thanks for smacking us all around and waking some people up. It could happen to any of us.

Again, sorry about your loss.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear about your family and friends, Book. Unforseeable loss can be hard to deal with.
Let me know if there's anything I can do for you-
I'm in my late 20's now. A few years ago, something similar happened to me and made me appreciate all I've got going for me. Some positive things happened in my life afterward as a result. I hope that that the same will be true for you.
Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Very sorry to hear of your loss Book, it's a tough thing to lose a relative no matter what age. A few years ago I went through something similar to what you are going through now and I did take advantage of that slap to the face.
BenDover got it right, if it aint broke...?
I decided then to get a full physical every year and I have maintained that so far.
We are also at the age to begin considering those 'terrifying' colonoscopies, actually there's nothing to it, I don't hardly remember the one I had, I got the hook up from the doc, not quit out but definately not quite in. If you have a family history of cancer at all, it's a good thing to check, luckily I got a clean bill of health except of course for losing some weight. I'm in on that too with good results, basically just watching what I eat and jumping on the treadmill.

Good luck to you and to Brian, My thoughts are with you both.

gilfrd
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, I really appreciate you.  It’s just now starting to really hit me, so I think I’ll just say goodnight.  Talk to ya’ll tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear that Mark.  Please accept my condolences.  Please let me know if I can be of any help.

It's always good to take care of our health, however, we never know when it's our turn.

Just for example, one guy who used to bike regularly just passed away of heart attack during the last BRAG.  People who saw said he simply shut down.  He was 65, his wife a nurse, and he took good care of his health.

And I'll tell you my latest personal experience later.

I can also lose around 20 pounds.  My wife tries to control my diet but it simply does not work out.   Last April I rode 150 miles for the BRAG tune-up and only lost one pound.  Got back home and gained three pounds in a single dinner.

I guess the best thing to do it control health as much as possible but do not get paranoid about it.  Just enjoy life the best way we can.  We never know the next minute.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Good advice, Rossi.  Thank you, my friend.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Book, very sorry to hear this news.  'Being there' for the folks who matter is just about the most important thing in life.  Keeping sight of that is the tricky part.

The fitness and diet thing is something I know a bit about.  Some advice is here (my alter ego):
www.georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3108

Feel free to email me any questions, I ain't an expert but I know what works.  Call if you need anything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, some good advice there zzxx99.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]
That sucks Mark. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Go get your check-up, it may make you feel better.
Well....after the fingers are removed.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep.  Gonna find me the doctor with the smallest fingers possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#20]
My heart and prayer go out to your cousin's and friend's families.  

Be sure to get the physical.  Contrary to liberals, men, not women, are the most vulnerable to diseases.  Testicular Cancer is a serious threat for well endowed studs like us.  Thus, it important to check your bal .... er' .... jewels often.  

Quick hint about the 'finger', make sure they use
KY jelly.  Its much more fun. ;)  Just kiddin, even though I wear PINK.  

Oh, one more thing.   After the "finger", go home and take a shower and if possible, a poopie.   I made the mistake of going to work after the "finger".  All day when I walked around, my butt made wierd squishy sounds all day.    Very gross and probally more info than you want to read.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Very gross and probally more info than you want to read.

GAH.  WHY DID YOU FEEL THE NEED TO SHARE WITH THE CLASS?  NEED BLEACH.  MUST RINSE EYES.  THEN NEED SANDPAPER TO DRY THEM OFF.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I appreciate it guys.  I just don't think it's sunk in yet about Paul.  My Mom called me about an hour ago to tell me and I still just in disbelief.  He looked like he was in great shape last I saw him, which was several months ago (he lives out of state).

I'm going to try shedding a few pounds.  I do okay with the aerobic exercise, but I'll never lose weight without also changing the diet.  The hard thing will be to schedule a physical.  Man, I HATE needles.  Plus I'm not so keen on that whole ball grabing and ass probing thing either.    

book-
let me step in here and give you a bit of friendly advice.  you have a luxury that it seems our couusin and freind did not have, and that is time... you have the time now to get into shape and to keep track of your health.  live on for the days that they have lost and learn from their loss that each moment on this earth is not only to be treasured but guarded.  checkups may be a pain in the ass (literally) but the time you seem reluctant to spend, and the pain that you ultimately fear puts you in a predicament where you may ultimately loose even more time (off of your life) and expereince even more pain (of suffering the ravages of disease). please for the sake of your friends that you have spoken so highly of, for your family (who no doubt cares about you staying around) and for us here at the drama series that is afrcom, get your health in check!

btw- you will be amazed how regular exercise and a good diet can change your outlook on life, the way you feel and certianly your health. time for me myself to practice what i preach!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
oh, please forgive me for not first extending my condolences at your loss...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh, one more thing.   After the "finger", go home and take a shower and if possible, a poopie.   I made the mistake of going to work after the "finger".  All day when I walked around, my butt made wierd squishy sounds all day.    Very gross and probally more info than you want to read.

Good luck,

Mike

Geezy Petes! WTF? TMI!!!!!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess I should not share my experience at the infertility clinic.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I guess I should not share my experience at the infertility clinic.  

If it involves squishy-noises eminating from your asscheeks, no, probably not.

Otherwise, proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]
colinjay, good advice.  I appreciate it and you're absolutely correct.  My wife was glad I promised to get a physical.

mike, I appreciate you sharing your experiences.  Don't fear the monkeys around here when they start throwing the shit.

As for you other monkeys, I sometimes wonder why I like you so much.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
It's gotta be the size of our bananas...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
And some of you guys say you are "scared" of other threads in this forum?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey mark,

Sorry to hear about your loss, and I also hope things start looking up for you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
And some of you guys say you are "scared" of other threads in this forum?  

Scared doesn't cover it.  When I even think about the general boards, I go catatonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top