Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 10:26:14 AM EDT
So last month my wife and I bought a second home, located in the Northwest area of Greensboro, to be closer to her work. We are here during the week for the most part and while she is at work I'm out walking the dog, renovating the house, running errands, etc. We are from a more rural county where everyone is generally friendly. Most of the people I encounter are noticeably standoffish or indifferent. When I'm out and about in the neighborhood and I wave or say "good morning" rarely does anyone acknowledge or if they do it is half-hearted. A grand total of zero neighbors have attempted to acknowledge that we are here.

Is this a Greensboro thing? Are people so cowed by Covid they are afraid to interact with other people? Is it a city vs. country thing? I know the city is pretty blue and there are still BLM and Biden-Harris yard signs around, so is this a symptom of their politics or something? Our home county is very, very red and we really don't feel like we fit in here at all.

I realize this is a generalization and not everyone here is like this, but the negative vibe is noticeably different here than anywhere else in the state I have lived or visited...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it’s a little bit of all of that. I’ve seen the same thing in more urban areas around here.
If you think that’s bad try going to Vermont or New Hampshire. If you wave at people there you get dirty looks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You got that right. I lived in Vermont for 20 years . Tough transition for this southern boy. Talk about a bunch of surly, miserable people there. After 20 years of dealing with winter weather I finally understood...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We’re here in GSO for the holidays from CO.  Western (conservative) CO.  In addition to the overall shitty weather in the city - we're near UNCG - it feels like the covids are in full effect.  People of all ages crossing the street to avoid a grown man and child, out hiking and getting the Karen Mask Staredown.  Yesterday on the Bog trail a lady visibly held her breath and pinched her nose when we walked past.  Whatever.  

Also seems to be lots and lots of out of staters in town.  Met a nice couple the other day at the park and we let our dogs play together.  They were from RI and staying 2 or 3 months to avoid the NE flu/covid season.  You could film Invasion of the Body Snatchers herewith how strange it’s been.

ETA ref a dismal post.  Welcome to NC. I grew up on the coast but have lived all over.  It’s a beautiful place with lots to pretty country to enjoy.  Politically, it’s just a barometer for how the rest of the country is or is going.  The nice part is that there’s just enough room out in the sticks to feel like you can escape and ignore the cities BS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Greensboro hasn't been a Southern city in many years. The kids raised there have a neutral or Northern accent. NW Greensboro is Yankee land.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greensboro hasn't been a Southern city in many years. The kids raised there have a neutral or Northern accent. NW Greensboro is Yankee land.
View Quote

Good to know.

I'm glad this is a convenience/investment situation instead of trying to make it our new hometown.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably just covid related

Ive lived in greensboro on and off for a long time and ive found most people were friendly enough.

Going to gas stations once the sun goes down is a different story.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to lock-up at night.  HAHA
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
NW Guilford County has exploded in growth the past 10 years or so.
Most people there are not native to the area.

Greensboro has devolved into a wannabe Charlotte.
As the previous poster said it hasn’t been a southern town for many years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
you have to tell the dam yankees to move to Cary...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you have to tell the dam yankees to move to Cary...
View Quote

Lmao

It’s funny, I work in Cary and sometimes when I talk to people on phone they ask where I’m from cause of my accent. Their reaction when I tell them I was born and raised in NC is always amusing
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome!

I live in Guilford county now but used to live in the city.  
It reminds me of metro Atlanta in many ways.  I fled there due to spending my life in traffic.
Depending on who you are involved with it doesn't seem like a southern area at all.
My church is in town so that is our only reason to go there.  Don't let other people change your values and snuff out your light.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I was born and raised mostly in Greensboro and it's def changed in the last 40+ years but it's essentially the same. I'm a musician so my perspective is a little different. I was playing rockabilly so I saw the right and left at our shows. Most all of my fellow musicians lean left so that was expected but the people who used to be indifferent have def chosen sides and it's mostly left.

Greensboro has def become way more liberal than it was 10 years ago but there's still plenty of us who are fighting the good fight and keeping hope alive!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was born and raised mostly in Greensboro and it's def changed in the last 40+ years but it's essentially the same. I'm a musician so my perspective is a little different. I was playing rockabilly so I saw the right and left at our shows. Most all of my fellow musicians lean left so that was expected but the people who used to be indifferent have def chosen sides and it's mostly left.

Greensboro has def become way more liberal than it was 10 years ago but there's still plenty of us who are fighting the good fight and keeping hope alive!
View Quote

Reid?

I do not miss living off the top end of Battleground Avenue one bit!! Browns Summit was still a good enough get away for work but I haven’t been back in YEARS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in the next county north but have to go to greensboro frequently enough...and i hate it....but i hate going anywhere within town limits in NC lately
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NW Guilford County has exploded in growth the past 10 years or so.
Most people there are not native to the area.

Greensboro has devolved into a wannabe Charlotte.
As the previous poster said it hasn't been a southern town for many years.
View Quote
Close, but no cigar. Greensboro is Cary Lite. Complete with the same politics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
NW Guilford County.........the place is full of the not from here crowd. The city itself has pockets of freindly people and people trying to keep there northern BS under wraps.  Love it when they say I'm from the South after living here a year or so. It will never happen bud.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Oak Ridge/Summerfield is full of transplants. Go on up to Stokesdale if youd rather hang around the good 'ol boys from NC.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d be pretty miserable if I had to live in Greensboro.

(I’m from Wilmington)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Having lived in Wilmington, I completely agree.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah I live in Davidson County and work in Greensboro and Charlotte, but I’ll not be moving for convenience. The drive is completely worth it not to deal with that!  Miserable bunch of people for sure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Moved from the country into NW GBO last year. In a nice area, but yes, the city has become much less friendly. I have to drive to the mountains at least once a month to get the city stench off me and see normal people. NC is in trouble, but plenty of "us" still around.

Honestly, I can't think of a single large NC city that has redeeming qualities. Probably just me getting old.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Just saying Hi. Born in Chatham County and as a child in the 60-70's, Greensboro was our shopping location. Loved downtown back then.

I grew up, got married to military and lived all over. After divorcing, I came back to Chatham County. I've since worked in Charlotte, G'boro, High Point, Winston Salem, Asheville,0Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Wilmington (actually all over the state as a nurse consultant). Every single one of them has changed dramatically since I was a young person, both residents and atmosphere. I try to stay home on the farm now and avoid all the towns/city areas. Made easier since, like many, I'm a bit of a loner. LOL
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Moved from the country into NW GBO last year. In a nice area, but yes, the city has become much less friendly. I have to drive to the mountains at least once a month to get the city stench off me and see normal people. NC is in trouble, but plenty of "us" still around.

Honestly, I can't think of a single large NC city that has redeeming qualities. Probably just me getting old.
View Quote
I don't think so. I'm 30 and you're not wrong. I just moved out of Wake and into Chatham County to get away from the bs in Raleigh. My family roots are in Chatham and I've been hunting there on family land for 15 years. Happy to be calling it home now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top