Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2011 5:31:03 AM EDT
I'm looking to pick up a couple stripped lowers to throw in the safe for a rainy day.  I live in NC and am thinking about heading to Palmetto State in SC and picking a couple of theirs up.  Is this as simple as just going out there and buying them or is it more involved since they are stripped and could potentially be made into pistols?  I don't think it's relevant since this is out of state but I do have my NC CHP.  If all else fails I'll just find something closer or transfer them in to a nearby shop.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Your NC CHP should be negligible.  Also, if they are for long guns, then that fact should also help out.

I did read a thread in GD that the ATF is now tracking multiple long gun purchases within 5 days (like they did with handguns) but I have yet to confirm this.  Keep that in mind before you buy more than 1 lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your NC CHP should be negligible.  Also, if they are for long guns, then that fact should also help out.

I did read a thread in GD that the ATF is now tracking multiple long gun purchases within 5 days (like they did with handguns) but I have yet to confirm this.  Keep that in mind before you buy more than 1 lower.

Is this related to the ATF's attempt to require FFLs along the Mexico border to report multiple long gun purchases? This was blocked, from the last I heard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You can buy them from Palmetto State, but you will need to have them transfer to a local FFL.
The ATF classified striped lower as a "other" firearm that can only be bought in the state of residence by someone 21 years of age or older.
In NC you will need Pistol purchase permit or a CHP (which you have).
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can buy them from Palmetto State, but you will need to have them transfer to a local FFL.
The ATF classified striped lower as a "other" firearm that can only be bought in the state of residence by someone 21 years of age or older.

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling this was the case.  I was kind of getting pumped to take a motorcycle ride down there to pick up a back pack load of lowers this spring.  Oh well,  I may pick a couple up at the Greensboro gun show next weekend if I can find a couple cheap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you close to Statesville NC?
If so check out USA Tactical Firearms
You can even get custom engraving from them.
In house manufacturing, home town NC pride.
www.usatf.us
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can even get custom engraving from them.
In house manufacturing, home town NC pride.
www.usatf.us

I'm just south of Greensboro. I saw the USATF guys at the Asheboro show last month. They are pretty nice but they are pricey, you can get two for the price of those.  If I was looking for just one to do a build I would consider them.  I really want to pick up 3-4 relatively inexpensive decent quality local lowers just to stash away.  The PSA seamed like a good balance of my criteria.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can even get custom engraving from them.In house manufacturing, home town NC pride.
www.usatf.us

nice lowers, a bit spendy although.

edited for content

so I don't believe I'll be buying one anytime soon, if I want another NC marked lower I think I'll just hit up Carolina mountain tactical instead.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

False.  I have never needed a pistol permit or shown my CCW to buy a lower in NC.  A lower is not classified as a Pistol in NC for this reason, and thus is subject to long arm purchasing requirements...depending on the markings on the lower (Caliber, etc...)
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

False.  I have never needed a pistol permit or shown my CCW to buy a lower in NC.  A lower is not classified as a Pistol in NC for this reason, and thus is subject to long arm purchasing requirements...depending on the markings on the lower (Caliber, etc...)

The local ATF agent for my area said a Pistol Permit or CHP is needed. This came about right after the change on the 4473.

And yes I worked for a Dealer(FFL) and still help another local Dealer from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If you buy a complete lower,  it's just as buying a long gun.  Stripped is classified as a hand-gun.  I wanted to pick up a couple of stripped lowers at Palmetto when they were $69 and learned this at the time.  I too had no idea about that before that.  Good thing I was in Columbia already and didn't make a special trip at the time;  had to settle for 1000 rds. of ammo on that trip.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The local ATF agent for my area said a Pistol Permit or CHP is needed. This came about right after the change on the 4473.

And yes I worked for a Dealer(FFL) and still help another local Dealer from time to time.

I just picked up a lower from my dealer and he told me the same thing.   Scratch that.... he actually SHOWED ME the new statute!  It was a non-issue for me (I have a CCW), but "technically", all "stripped lowers" are now supposed to be sold just like a pistol here in NC.  Meaning.... CCW or purchase permit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just picked up a lower from my dealer and he told me the same thing.   Scratch that.... he actually SHOWED ME the new statute!  It was a non-issue for me (I have a CCW), but "technically", all "stripped lowers" are now supposed to be sold just like a pistol here in NC.  Meaning.... CCW or purchase permit.

When did that statute take effect? Last time I picked up 3 stripped lowers my dealer marked them as other on the 4473 and called it in just like a long gun

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did that statute take effect? Last time I picked up 3 stripped lowers my dealer marked them as other on the 4473 and called it in just like a long gun

I didn't catch the date it was implimented..... but I'm guessing within the last year.   The "new" 4473's now have THREE options to check,   "Rifle", "Pistol" and "Other (frames, receivers, etc)"

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't catch the date it was implimented..... but I'm guessing within the last year.   The "new" 4473's now have THREE options to check,   "Rifle", "Pistol" and "Other (frames, receivers, etc)"

Early 2009

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm... yup the ffl checked other, I specifically made sure because I wanted to use one for a pistol build and was caught up on the virgin reciever stuff floating around.
Called in the background check and I walked out less than 10min later with them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Beeragent,Galaxy Sporting Goods(Gun Store) in Goldston has R-guns stripped receivers for $59.99,at least the last time he posted on CSF.Call him first,its down 421 from Greensboro below Siler City.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Beeragent,Galaxy Sporting Goods(Gun Store) in Goldston has R-guns stripped receivers for $59.99,at least the last time he posted on CSF.Call him first,its down 421 from Greensboro below Siler City.

Awesome! That sounds like what I am looking for.  I've heard of R-guns before but never seen one of their lowers.  Can anyone tell me if they are decent?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just picked up a lower from my dealer and he told me the same thing. Scratch that.... he actually SHOWED ME the new statute! It was a non-issue for me (I have a CCW), but "technically", all "stripped lowers" are now supposed to be sold just like a pistol here in NC. Meaning.... CCW or purchase permit.

I didn't catch the date it was implimented..... but I'm guessing within the last year. The "new" 4473's now have THREE options to check, "Rifle", "Pistol" and "Other (frames, receivers, etc)"

1.  There is no "statute" (law) in NC that now requires AR-15 receivers to be sold as a "pistol".  Some FFL s did / do sell them as though they are "pistols" in order to CYA.  If there is an NC statute (law), please cite the actual statute (as in NCGS § 14.____).

2.  The BATFE, as a "rules" change, changed the 4473 to add the 'other' block for incomplete receivers.  No Federal law was passed by Congress and sent to the President to sign into law tho create this "rule" - it is purely an BATFE regulation issued by the BATFE under its regulatory authority estabished under the actual law, the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top