Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:57:35 PM EDT
Had to go repair some construction equipment near the nuclear plant in SC.  Fairly tight security, I've had to go thru worse to get to some jobsites.  I go thru one checkpoint and get a pass, then go thru another and sign a waiver stating that I may be exposed to 'X' ammount of radiation, but not more than 'Y' ammount then I get this little metal cylinder I have to carry with me.
On the way out one of the guys went thru first to show me what to do, pick up the geiger counter and scan in order hands, feet, butt, arms, chest, face.  When nobody was looking I scanned my nuts too (ya can't be too careful).  Next, you stand in this thing that looks like a metal detector and the machine counts down from twenty in a female voice, when it's finished it says "clean".  Here's what happened when I went thru.

machine: three, two, one, contaminated
me: thats not really what i wanted to hear
security guard and workers: bwahahahaha!
security guard: step back for a second
worker: we're gonna have to put you in that shower and scrub you down with bleach

me:
security guard and workers: bwahahaha!
me: you guys are f***ing with me!
security guard: yeah, that was fun wasn't it
me:

ETA: what did i do to deserve stuff like this
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL!!

CXS
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ETA: what did i do to deserve stuff like this

You scanned yer nuts.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I work at the nuclear fuel plant in Castle Hayne, I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
it's much more fun when it's happening to someone else...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine works down at Catawba nuclear and says he gets scannned all the time for that. I would hate to be around it everyday at higher levels. He says it's nothing dangerous but I am kind of weird about stuff like that.
Ohhh BTW he called me the other day says down at catawba on the board there is a AR10 for sale.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hehehehe, its even more fun when you're teaching hazmat team newbies and they don't know that you AREN'T XRAYing them with the paddle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Remember those badges that turn red when you've had your limit?  Color them red with a marker and enjoy the fun!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a young tech with me onsite at one of the nuke facilities in SC. I had him so afraid his babies would be born nekkid .

BK
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]
pwnt
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Had to go repair some construction equipment near the nuclear plant in SC.  

I've been working nukes for 20+ years.

Shearon-Harris
Surry
Brunswick
McGuire
Catawba
Fermi
Oconee
DC Cook
Brown's Ferry
Turkey Point
St. Lucie

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
That wasn't a  geiger counter, that was the tube out of the lunchroom microwave.  Wait till your junk starts smelling like week old ramen noodles and burritos.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
seems like quite a few people here work around nukes.  i will probably have to go back to that job site next week, we'll see what kind of hilarity ensues next!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top