Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2007 3:20:42 AM EDT
I was in ATP yesterday and they had signs up saying they now rent full auto.  The cost is $35 + ammo (have to buy the ammo there).

According to the sign, they have MP-5, Uzi, and M-16 available.

I told my daughter I want her to meet me there one day after school this week.  I'm thinking an MP-5 and about 200 rounds.  I haven't told her what I have in mind - just that I want her to meet me.

She will have the BIGGEST grin when we get done, plus bragging rights with her friends!

Oh yeah, I'll also pick up a couple Cool Dad points.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
good luck there.  I've never been to a store that was more unorganized.  Have fun with the slack jawed idiots behind the rental counter.  It seems like the owner of the place is the only one with any idea of whats going on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
good luck there.  I've never been to a store that was more unorganized.  Have fun with the slack jawed idiots behind the rental counter.  It seems like the owner of the place is the only one with any idea of whats going on.

Yeah, I've heard some stupid comments come from behind the counter.

When shopping for a defensive handgun for the wife, one employee advised against getting too big a gun, or she could be prosecuted for excessive force if she had to defend herself.

Another called .50BMG rifles "weapons of mass destruction" and said civilians had no business owning them.

I've learned enough to know what & who to ignore.  I don't go there for advice on guns or relationships.

In fairness, Arlen has always treated me decent.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I think ATP has been responsible for more C3 sales than any other shop or dealer in Chas. I've talked to alot of guys at the range with SBR's & cans who claimed to have purchased them from ATP. Good job!
Now on the other hand I can't figure out how they have done this since everything is priced higher than MSRP. The internet has put info at ones finger tips and yet people seem to be willing to pay way more than retail for these items at Arlen's shop.
For example a Bowers CAC9 suppressor lists for $320.00 yet ATP lists it for $429.00!?!?
The threaded Lone Wolf conversion barrels for Glocks marked $199.00 when I see them elsewhere for $119.00 to $129.00 - WTF?
Either people don't know or they don't care if they spend too much money for their next toy. I want a shop to make a dollar I just don't want them to rob the customer on each sale.
ATP has alot going for them with a large sales floor, plenty of parking, gun & archery ranges, broad product selection of accessories and a good mix of firearms both pistols and long guns. However the staff needs some training in both customer service and product knowledge, this is not limited to ATP, it's a common problem in alot of shops.
OK I'll get off the soap box now so you can go enjoy that MP5 - it's a blast to shoot - your friends will ask why you have that stupid grin on your face for days afterwards!
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I concur about prices.  Even old Russkie hardware like M91s and M44s are way up there.

However, I've bought several guns there and never paid the price on the tag.  I've done homework, decided what a fair price would be to me (Fair= it doesn't rape my wallet and he makes a reasonable profit), and made my offer.  They will deal.  

I'm a supporter of capitalism, and I'm not trying to take bread off his table by going for a cutthroat price.  Fair is fair for both sides.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand retail, spent 20 years in it. I agree with what your saying for the most part. I just don't get their strategy with prices so far out of line that it you have to play Monty Hall to buy a gun. My feeling is that some people don't like to haggle and simply walk in suffer sticker shock and walk out never to return. That's a loss for the customer and store owner both. The other side of this approach is the guy who is not web savy or just new to firearms and walks in buys the gun only to discover later he's been screwed price wise. Another customer that may never return.
Don't get me wrong I shop at ATP but they are not my first choice when looking for a new gun. However I can walk into ATP and buy NIW M3 grease gun mags for $25.99 thats a great price!!! I need some FCG parts for the M16 he has them in stock and the price is more than fair.
Arlen has impressed me with his willingness to help me trouble shoot a problem or discuss something which is why I'm so perplexed about the pricing it seems such a contradiction to his low key laid back style.
Sorry for taking your post off on this tangent.
I'm looking forward to a post about you shooting the FA stuff.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
ATP? No thanks.

Have fun, and good luck.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
We went this afternoon.  It was indeed fun.  With the rental fee, it's not something I would do every week, but I enjoyed it.

Better than that, my daughter had a ball.  

Too bad prices will stay out of reach as long as the '86 ban is in place.

ETA: For liability reasons, an employee accompanies you on the range.  The guy who came back with us was good.  He made sure we understood the operation of the MP5, then he stayed out of the way.  Had one FTF that he cleared.  Oh yeah - he loaded the mags for us, too!
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow they even loaded mags for ya, now that is a plus. I guess it makes you shoot up your ammo supply that much faster.
The MP5 is a sweet ride, smooth & steady. I reload for my C3 guns as that's the only way I can justify the high volume shooting that takes place. That's why I love the Ciener kit in FA it really is "too much fun".
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. Of course I never had any doubt you wouldn't!
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I went into ATP once looking to buy a CCW for my wife, after walking up and down the counter for 30 minutes, while several employees sat behind the counter shooting the shit, I walked out, came home and bought a weapon on the EE.
I will never set foot back in ATP.

Rant off...
Sounds like you and your daughter had a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 2:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I went into ATP once looking to buy a CCW for my wife, after walking up and down the counter for 30 minutes, while several employees sat behind the counter shooting the shit, I walked out, came home and bought a weapon on the EE.
I will never set foot back in ATP.

Rant off...
Sounds like you and your daughter had a lot of fun.

Yeah, my daughter noticed there are some employees who are... less than productive.

The first guy who came to the rental counter hasn't seen the ball since the kickoff.  I said, "I'd like to get some time with your MP5 and two boxes of ammo."

He asked, "9mm?"

I said, "I guess so."

He replied, "Well, they come in three calibers."

I said, "How should I know?  It's your gun!"

Fortunately, somebody who knew what he was doing came along and the first guy retreated to his comfort zone somewhere else.

They have a couple good employees, and several whose ball is lost in the high weeds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Many moons ago, before I knew any better, ATP charged me $65 to put a NY-1 trigger in a Glock 30. Took gun, walked in back, came back 5 minutes later, charged $65.

Anybody want to take a guess how much money I have spent there since?
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Many moons ago, before I knew any better, ATP charged me $65 to put a NY-1 trigger in a Glock 30. Took gun, walked in back, came back 5 minutes later, charged $65.

Please accept my apology for bringing up unpleasant memories for you.

My intent was to post about having fun on the range with my daughter.  That was selfish of me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My intent was to post about having fun on the range with my daughter.  That was selfish of me.

...and equally selfish of me. Humble apologies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Bring your own jug of CLP to reduce FTF.  Good times.  Id' rather rent the .460 Ruger they have, the gun is $5 but the ammo is $27.99 for 20 rounds.  

Bring the camera and have fun.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey man - I overreacted.  I was in a pissy mood at the time.  Fuggidaboudit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey man - I overreacted.  I was in a pissy mood at the time.  Fuggidaboudit.

that happens when you get old
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

that happens when you get old

Yeah, you say that now, but some day you'll learn to appreciate fiber and miss it when you don't get enough.  You'd be grumpy too!

Hey man - you keeping your head down over there?  Stay safe!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]
im having a good old time listin to the fireworks
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
ATP?  NO Way

They wanted to charge me $200 to transfer a .22lr suppressor that would have transferred tax free dealer to dealer.  

rip off artists

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Anybody else want to crap in my thread?

Seems to be open season.

Come on, add your own steaming pile.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Inappropriate image removed, IM sent-u352
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Brohawk when i get back next year we will have to go put a couple hunderd rounds down range with that mp5 i have always wanted to shoot one and i am think of geting one of the clones
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
And here I was thinking the only time I get to shoot FA is in Fl. The wife loves Disney, and I head over to The Shooting Gallery. I'm only a few hours out of Charleston, sounds like a nice weekend get away. Any one know their store hours? We're heading to Fl next weekend for a week at Disney. Camping the whole time at Ft. Wilderness. The last time we were there I rented the MP5. It was nice, but I liked the 10.5 in. CAR in 9mm. I'm pickin the Tommy Gun next time. Does ATP have one also, just in case the other range doesn't have theirs anymore?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And here I was thinking the only time I get to shoot FA is in Fl. The wife loves Disney, and I head over to The Shooting Gallery. I'm only a few hours out of Charleston, sounds like a nice weekend get away. Any one know their store hours? We're heading to Fl next weekend for a week at Disney. Camping the whole time at Ft. Wilderness. The last time we were there I rented the MP5. It was nice, but I liked the 10.5 in. CAR in 9mm. I'm pickin the Tommy Gun next time. Does ATP have one also, just in case the other range doesn't have theirs anymore?

They have the MP5, an Uzi, and an M-16 for rent.

Cost is $35 + $10 range fee if you're not a member.  With rental guns you have to buy ammo from them, and of course bullets in a gun shop cost more than at Walmart.

It wasn't cheap, but it's not something I'd do every week.

They are open Mon-Sat, I'm not sure of their hours.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info, May have to take a day off mid week and head up there. I work at one of the local shops here in the Myrtle Beach area, so I understand the cost of ammo crisis   wally world gets the break since they order in MASS QUANTITIES.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top