Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
Seriously contemplating a move to nc. (greensboro area)..I need to know if I have to register my pistols or rifles when I enter the state. What are the rules for transporting in your vehicle? Is it legal? do you have to have the firearm in the trunk or glovebox? Do you have to be traveling to and from the range? Does the state issue ccw's and if so how hard are they to obtain..What are the general rules for protecting life and property? What is the general gun atmosphere like in the state?. Are the politicos cool or are thay trying to chip away at your rights? I know i can probably find this info on the internet but i needed answers from people who are living it...thanks  jack
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Jack,
I defected with my wife about 5 years ago (Ventura). I work in Greensboro and live in Forsyth county. The state of NC is beautiful. Taxes are OK, gun laws are good, housing is affordable, and people are very nice.

My dislikes are; National Parks are a whole lot different (small). I guess I was spoiled growing up in the San Gabriel Mountains. Truck drivers are insane. To purchase a pistol, you must get a "Pistol Purchase Permit". This "Permit" is issued by the sheriff in the county you live in.

Where you coming from?

Samuel
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice!  There's a tacked thread at the very top of the Carolina forum that has some great links. For one try Packing.org for info on CCW and general gun info.  One other thing, a CCW licence in NC takes the place of the pistol purchase permit that you need to get from the sheriff. Keep us posted on your trek.

F3
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm from the Huntington Beach area and looking at a couple places in Davidson county (Thomasville) and a log home on 10 acres outside of Asheboro...I know what you mean about the Ca.parks they are huge and beautiful like a lot of Ca. but I can't deal with the politics and congestion, and illegal immigration anymore. I lived in Rhode Island for 24years and Ca. for 26 years and am hoping NC. is my last stop..I ride and repair Harley's, do a little four wheeling (jeep) and shoot as much as possible and am looking for a place to do that without being screwed with...I have a friend who lives in the Raleigh area (20+ years) and he loves NC. The people I have spoke with on the phone about real estate seem real nice and I'm getting real excited about living in the woods again..I hope this all works out ..Thanks for the input...jack
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Asheboro, live in Forsyth county now.  Randolph is a very gun friendly county, though I hear the current sheriff is about to retire.  C'mon down and join the fun
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm from the Huntington Beach area and looking at a couple places in Davidson county (Thomasville) and a log home on 10 acres outside of Asheboro...I know what you mean about the Ca.parks they are huge and beautiful like a lot of Ca. but I can't deal with the politics and congestion, and illegal immigration anymore. I lived in Rhode Island for 24years and Ca. for 26 years and am hoping NC. is my last stop..I ride and repair Harley's, do a little four wheeling (jeep) and shoot as much as possible and am looking for a place to do that without being screwed with...I have a friend who lives in the Raleigh area (20+ years) and he loves NC. The people I have spoke with on the phone about real estate seem real nice and I'm getting real excited about living in the woods again..I hope this all works out ..Thanks for the input...jack

Cool. One of my brothers lives and works in HB (machinist). Come on out.

Samuel
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Just to make sure its clear; you don't have to register your weapons (aside from NFA items) when you move to NC.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just to make sure its clear; you don't have to register your weapons (aside from NFA items) when you move to NC.  

thanks for the clarification..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top