Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:15:22 PM EDT
Well, I finally took the course, and applied for my North Carolina concealed carry permit for the first time. I didn't enjoy the fingerprinting at the county jail very much, but I guess it's necessary. I don't thing there's any reason at all I'd be refused a permit, but you never know for sure where government red tape abounds! Keep yer fingers crossed for a fellow Carolinian!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
. Im going to get mine in the near future. Tell me the steps and cost if you don't mind. Thank you WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem! First are the costs. These tend to vary a little, depending on the instructor. I've heard of as high as $100.00 and mine was $60.00 for the class. You need to find a instructor in your particular area first. The state mandates that the course must consist of 8 hours of instruction. After successfully completing the training class you will be issued a certificate of completion which will be given to the Sherriff's office in your county of residence upon applying for the CCW permit. The cost will be a non-refundable $90.00 for applying. You will fill out the appropriate forms and submit to extensive fingerprinting. I am told that Crossroads Mental Health Inc. does background research (in my county of residence) to ensure the applicant isn't a mental case. I will be billed $20.00 for this service via mail after completion. I was told by my instructor that it usually takes 4-5 weeks for the permit to be issued and I must pick it up in person at the sherriff's office when it is made available. I hope this helps! Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
How long does the certificate last I took a class back in 98 but never filed for my ccw was always too busy working weird hours and never followed through. I also had a class thought the company I used to work for but I never got my certificat from them they still have it on file that I took the class I just never asked for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I took a class in 2003. I asked the same question to the owner of a local gun shop and he said that once you take the class and have the paper work you can anytime. You might check with your local Sheriff's office about that and the exact costs of filing fees and fingerprinting. I was told our local office only takes cash and that there is a charge for the fingerprinting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My CCW permit is at the sheriffs office waiting for me to pick it up. I gotta get some time off during the week. Regarding the certificate....be advised that they take the original. That leaves you with no proof of taking the class unless you go to your instructor for a duplicate.
If your CCW permit expires, then the whole process has to be repeated....but it can't without the original saftey class certificate. PITA. Moral of the story, don't let your CCW permit expire.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you... WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
My permit is good till 2010
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cheesy One,

My bride and took the class together.  We both passed with flying brass colors.  

I applied within a couple of days.  It took almost the max of 90 days to get mine. My bride's notification arrived a day before mine, and she's a (insert Our County here) Native.  We both had to pay Crossroads for a "Mental Check".

Slacker gave good advice.  Don't let your CHL lapse.

Day-um! Almost 3 Months!?! That gnaws a big-un! Hope I'm not kept waiting that long!! The nice lady at the sherrif's dept. made a copy of my training certificate for me. I know it'll probably not be valid in the case of a lapse in licensing though. I imagine a person would have to start all over at the beginning if he/she lets the CCW lapse. I guess I shouldn't be in too big if a rush anyhow. I had an accident at work today. I sawed through the top of my fingernail on a vertical bandsaw. It's the middle finger on my "DRAW-DOWN" hand. Typing's a bit of a challenge now!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
YEEEE-HAAAAAAAAA! There was a message on my answering machine from the Sheriff's Dept. telling my to come pick up my permit!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Must be because "I'm SPESCHUL!"
Oh! And Thanks! Maybe you got some good tips for hiding a Government .45 effectively?I don't know how I'm gonna  keep that baby from "printing" a little!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top