Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:29:59 AM EDT
I'm still seriously considering a move to one of these areas next year...so I'm wondering what kind of ranges are in that neck of the woods.  

I will probably have some private property available in the Smithfield area, for plinking at least.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Old Hickory Gun Club in Rocky Mount.  Mostly skeet and trap shooters, but has a nice pistol and rifle range, up to 200 yards.

There's an indoor pistol range in Rocky Mount called Shooter's.

I also shoot at my hunting club near Nashville, NC.

Give me a shout before you come for a visit.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
entropy, thanks for the reply.  

I'm torn between staying in VA, and knowing I can get more house for my $$ in NC.  Plus, I have the option of using a friends beach house in Atlantic Beach, and the family farm in Smithfield, NC, for plinking, should I decide to make the move.  

I've been checking out the housing market and in Kinston, I could duplicate my house here in DC that I can sell for around $800k, for about $150K.  That shows the lunacy of the DC housing market.  Rocky Mount is almost as good, but the prices are a tad more expensive.  

The impetus I have for moving is the fact that I won't be able to make the '06 tax bill payment in June of next year hehe...so the time for getting out is April/May.  

What I plan on doing is selling the house, selling as much as I can, and moving the rest into storage...then heading to Cackalacky for a month or so to check out/buy a house.  That's the plan, anyways.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...I could duplicate my house here in DC that I can sell for around $800k, for about $150K.  

Geez, with that much profit you can  buy a place in NC with a few acres and build your own range!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I could duplicate my house here in DC that I can sell for around $800k, for about $150K.  

Geez, with that much profit you can  buy a place in NC with a few acres and build your own range!

the thought had crossed my mind, but to tell you the truth, I am woefully inept at anything remotely resembling home improvement, building/construction, and wouldn't even know how to begin.  Plus, the less I spend on housing, the more I can put in the bank and earn a pitiful 3% interest on.  I'll be using this as my retirement, more or less, so the cheaper I can find a reasonably nice place, the better.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'd skip looking in the Rocky Mount area.  Many of my customers (from Rocky Mt) complain of having some of the highest utility bills anywhere near that side of Eastern NC.

NC is nice.  Plenty of places to check out.

Lex in NC
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Lex, my utilities here run me about $375/mo...and on top of that I get to pay about $5500 a year in real estate taxes, AND personal property taxes on top of that.  How much worse could it be there?

I get a break in the spring and fall, when I don't have to run the AC or the heat.  And to put things into perspective, my $300+ monthly gas bill is with the thermostat set to 58 in the day, and between 1 and 7am.    Yep...58.  I run the heat for an hour in the morning to warm up my bathroom, and so I can get outa bed lol.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top