Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2021 9:43:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No issues with braced pistols.

You picked the correct end of the Lake area IMHO. FYI: folks this way pronounce it Ver-sales. Not the way the rest of the world says it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your land happen to be 200' wide by 600' long?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If you end up wanting to deer hunt with it, there are OAL rules now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I think he is referring to pistol length, mdc made some jackassed rule change.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
on the AR pistol length is 26 inches from end of barrel to end of the buffer tube . i use the law folder on my pistol this last year i had to take it off as it made my aol 26.5 inches . the last couple of years the only deer hunting i could get in the was the late season , which i prefer hardly no road hunters or dingbats out at this time , i run a 10.5 barrel

enjoy your time in mighty Mo .

TS2
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]

It only applies during the Alternative Season, but it's worth noting.

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-updates-definition-handguns-used-deer-hunting

"The updated regulation clarifies what a handgun is for deer hunting during the alternative-methods portion," Doman explained. "We want hunters to be able to confidently identify what handgun configurations, with or without the addition of braces or other accessories, are legal to use during this portion of the deer hunting season. The essential distinguishing characteristic of a handgun is its ability to be operated with one hand, although a second hand can be used as a brace. Any firearm with a total length of over 26 inches is considered a rifle."

The Commission considered and adjusted the definition based on public input received during a formal comment period in April.

The updated MDC definition of a handgun is, "Any firearm originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one (1) or more barrels when held in one (1) hand, and having a short stock designed to be gripped by one (1) hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s), with a barrel less than sixteen inches (16") in length, measured from the face of the bolt or standing breech (excluding any muzzle device not permanently attached to the barrel), and an overall length less than twenty-six inches (26") as measured between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the firearm (excluding any pistol brace, muzzle device, or other firearm accessory not permanently attached to the firearm). The use of a pistol brace is specifically authorized, and a second hand may be used for support when firing."
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice. Missouri has some great fishing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the correct pronunciation

My wife is from Reno, NV and she cringes every time someone says Nevada, MO lol

I lived in Florissant for a couple of years and never heard of Versailles, but heard a lot about the lake.

Not sure if we will make a home in MO or just a get away for now
View Quote

I get to learn place name pronunciation myself...I'm moving from NH where there are plenty of place name pronunciations here that separate the locals from those that aren't. My wife who is originally from California was a laugh a minute when we first moved here in 1981. She learned pretty quickly.

We will be moving to our new place just south of Mt. View, northeast Howell County this summer. Fortunately, there's really no way to screw that that name up.

My wife has family that lives in Mt. View and the local area so I will definitely be picking their brains as to how to pronounce these towns (cities?) correctly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Given where your land is located you'll probably be fishing below Bagnell Dam and not Truman if bank fishing. If boat fishing you'll wind-up on the upper Lake OZ/Truman waters once tourist season gets here. The lower end of Lake Oz gets crazy with boat traffic.... both in numbers and in size.  The big Miami Vice type speedboats are a dime a dozen. From daylight to dark the lower end of the lake is rough. There's a joint named Big Dick's Half-Way Inn... go there and sit out on the deck and you'll get a good idea of the boat traffic.

There are loads of catfish in Truman and Lake Oz... mostly bluecats but flatheads and channels also. The hands down bait of choice for most folks is shad. You'll be able to buy frozen shad at bait shops but fresh is better. Buy a throw-net, learn to use it and you will how and where to get your own shad free and fresh.

Bank fishing you'll want surf-rods... spinning or bait-casting. Make sure you're rods are rated for at least 5oz of weight... 8-10 even better. When they are dumping water through the dams it is prime cat-fishing but the current is fierce.
There is a tackle shop a couple of miles west of Versailles named Edgar's. A good one to get outfitted at would be Cody's at Warsaw... Cody is a very well respected guide especially for catfish and spoonbill and his shop carries tackle that is appropriate for catfishing in our area. He also has bait and is less that 1/2 mile from the dam.
In Clinton there is Everhart's, In Lincoln there's Baker's and beween Lincoln and Warsaw there's Hook Solutions.... all good shops.

Paddlefish snagging season opened a few days ago and there has been alot of boats with snagging rods showing being pulled up and down highway 65... if you want to catch a big fish you might want to reserve a guided trip for next year. I've seen photos of a 91lb and an 88lb already. Most of the top guides will be booked up months in advance.

The walleye spawning run is going on now for the next 2-3 weeks. I went Friday and caught 2, saw 30 or so others caught but a lot of under-size.  I kept 6 incidental crappie and a nice hybrid, released 5-6 short crappie, saw no one catfishing.

Truman Lake is currently over 12' high and the Corps are expecting 21' high... that's a lot of water. Pomme and Stockton are both way high and both drain into Truman as well as 2-3 lakes out in Kansas. Once the MO. River level comes down they will start running a lot of water through Truman and Bagnell and for weeks fishing is going to be GOOD!

Once you get here to MO., PM me and maybe I can meet you at Warsaw and give you some pointers for the Warsaw area.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty close

And actually a better location description would be in Morgan County, it is SW of Versailles and NW of Gravois Mills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does your land happen to be 200' wide by 600' long?

Pretty close

And actually a better location description would be in Morgan County, it is SW of Versailles and NW of Gravois Mills.

We looked at that too lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I leased about 500 acres in that area for hunting a few years back.  I have no idea how there are so many deer in those rocky hills, but they are thicker than bugs on a bumper.  No monsters, but we killed a lot of deer.

I assume you are somewhat familiar with the area already, but the closer you get to the Gravois Mills and Ivy Bend area, the more rural it gets.  It is a beautiful area, but if you listen close, you might hear banjos!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
A short distance from Gravois Mills is Jacobs Cave. I've never seen the cave, but that's where they hold animal swaps every year. If you decide to get chickens, it's a great place to start.

http://www.jacobscave.com/jacobscaveanimalswap.htm

I would load up;

Stop by a couple friends tents first;

Then cruise around and see what else was there. Assortment of everything, including guns, knives, farmyard antiques, etc.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#19]
^^^ I'll have to check that out. About 3 hour drive for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I get to learn place name pronunciation myself...I'm moving from NH where there are plenty of place name pronunciations here that separate the locals from those that aren't. My wife who is originally from California was a laugh a minute when we first moved here in 1981. She learned pretty quickly.

We will be moving to our new place just south of Mt. View, northeast Howell County this summer. Fortunately, there's really no way to screw that that name up.

My wife has family that lives in Mt. View and the local area so I will definitely be picking their brains as to how to pronounce these towns (cities?) correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the correct pronunciation

My wife is from Reno, NV and she cringes every time someone says Nevada, MO lol

I lived in Florissant for a couple of years and never heard of Versailles, but heard a lot about the lake.

Not sure if we will make a home in MO or just a get away for now

We bought a place near Stockton. We're right in the middle of Bolivar, El Dorado Springs and Nevada. None of them are pronounced the way I thought they should be. Just Missouri, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, make sure you get up to Tipton to the Mennonite store for lots of goodies and giant yummy sandwiches.  Go a little further east to California and then south a couple of miles to Burger's Smokehouse for seconds on spiral cut hams and snacksticks and more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top