Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 7:32:52 PM EDT
The Second Amendment Preservation Act (SAPA) is on the fastest track ever!

Last week the Senate version of SAPA had a great hearing with no one testifying against it.

Now the House General Laws Committee has scheduled a hearing for the House version, HB 85, for Tuesday, January 26th at 12:30.

This is the strongest pro-gun bill in the U.S. and many other states are following Missouri's lead.

Please do these two things RIGHT NOW....

1) If you haven't already, fill out the online witness form for HB 85 so we can present it at Tuesday's hearing. See below.

We need a new witness forms for this bill even if you filled one out for SB 39.

2) Call your State Representative and ask him or her if they have co-sponsored the House version of SAPA, HB 85. Click HERE to see who has co-sponsored so far. Look up your state rep here: https://www.house.mo.gov/MemberRoster.aspx

http://www.libertytools.org/LibertyTools/witness/witness2.php?template=114

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the reminder. I got an email update the other day and forgot about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I filled out all witness slips. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not my intention to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but you should know what stands between this bill and the governor's desk.

It has to pass the Senate. In order to pass the Senate, that means the Democrats have to stand down and let it pass. If the Democrats are committed to stopping a bill, they will filibuster. They will talk and talk and talk until the Republicans decide it's just not worth it. At that point, they table the bill and move onto more pressing matters. (BTW, senators of the same party have been known to filibuster each other, too.)

Stopping a filibuster in the Senate requires a procedural maneuver: "calling the previous question." They PQ bills in the House all the time, but it rarely happens in the Senate -- like once a year, if that -- The Senate prides itself on debate, discussion, etc. and the culture is to allow senators to talk as long as they want to. Calling a PQ is thought of as a session-ending event. Typically it's only used in the final week (last day) of session. The belief is that once they PQ a bill, everybody is so pissed that nothing else gets done.

So, the challenge is this: Is a gun bill worth a PQ? It's possible, but there's a bunch of other contentious issues this year. If they get all those done, and there's nothing else to fight for then maybe. Or maybe the Democrats won't care about passing this bill and they'll let it slide. You can expect the Democrats to hold it up for as long as they can. It remains to be seen whether Republicans are willing to go all the way to defend the bill

Anyway, this is what the bill faces.  If nothing else, don't be surprised if this bill stalls until the end of the session.

For background on the PQ, read this:

https://themissouritimes.com/what-is-the-pq-a-look-at-the-nuclear-option-procedural-move/

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Done, thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, the challenge is this: Is a gun bill worth a PQ? It's possible, but there's a bunch of other contentious issues this year

View Quote

There's going to be a whole lot of elected members needing new jobs if Missourians lose gun rights because of their inaction.

There are ALWAYS other contentious issues... that's why this has never got to the floor for a vote despite being passed out of committee  "do pass"

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are ALWAYS other contentious issues... that's why this has never got to the floor for a vote despite being passed out of committee  "do pass"

View Quote

I could be mistaken, but i thought a similar bill actually crossed the finish line once (2014?) but got vetoed by the governor (Nixon?).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could be mistaken, but i thought a similar bill actually crossed the finish line once (2014?) but got vetoed by the governor (Nixon?).
View Quote

Fell short in the veto override by 1 vote... 2013? Might have been 2014 as you say... of course that was a democrat governor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Apparently just voted as "do pass"
Next stop rules committee and hopefully on the calendar for a floor vote.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Apparently just voted as "do pass"
Next stop rules committee and hopefully on the calendar for a floor vote.
View Quote

SAPA passed out of rules committee this morning... party line vote. Next step house floor vote and amendments

Greene County Sherriff apparently doesnt approve... no doubt he's one of those "I support the second amendment, but.. " folks.

https://www.ktts.com/2021/01/31/greene-county-sheriff-calls-two-proposed-missouri-bills-misguided-says-they-could-hamstring-law-enforcement/
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The full Missouri House of Representatives will be voting on HB 85, the 2nd Amendment Preservation Act tomorrow (Wednesday). This is the first of two votes that will pass the bill out of the House and send it to the Senate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Greene County Sherriff apparently doesnt approve... no doubt he's one of those "I support the second amendment, but.. " folks.

https://www.ktts.com/2021/01/31/greene-county-sheriff-calls-two-proposed-missouri-bills-misguided-says-they-could-hamstring-law-enforcement/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Man, this Jered Taylor fellow seems alright.  It's refreshing to see people in positions of authority take a firm stance on state's rights.

HB 85 simply says that law enforcement in this state cannot enforce federal gun laws, but they can and will enforce state gun laws. This law does not stop Sheriffs or law enforcement from participating in any federal task force or sharing information, as long as gun related charges are charged on a state level. If our prison sentences need to be stricter, we as Missourians should make that decision, not Washington DC, we know what works for Missouri. SAPA is just as much about protecting your second amendment rights as it is about protecting Law Enforcement Officers.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Hit and a bump!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys are kicking ass and taking names.

https://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills211/sumpdf/HB0085P.pdf

https://www.house.mo.gov/committees.aspx?category=all&committee=2506&year=2021&code=R%20&cluster=true
Will be heard tomorrow by the Fiscal Review committee
Thursday, 02/04/2021
9:50 AM
House Hearing R
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
OP...can you either update your OP or make a new thread for tomorrow's hearing?  We need to email these committee members tonight!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP...can you ... update your OP ... for tomorrow's hearing?  We need to email these committee members tonight!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP...can you either update your OP or make a new thread for tomorrow's hearing?  We need to email these committee members tonight!
View Quote

I believe it was perfected and passed to the senate, so contact your senators about sb39

Third Read and Passed with Amendments (H) - HPA 1 Adopted AYES: 103 NOES: 43 PRESENT: 0
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
i wonder what the chances are of this passing the senate, then getting signed into law?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe it will get a go in the Senate but I wonder if Parsons will sign it or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top