User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Good going 67firebird.

I got my UV9R(Mirkit edition, waterproof version) a couple weeks ago. I only have it set up on a couple local frequencies I programmed in, as the program cable it came with didn't seem to work on the CHIRP site and this model radio takes a special cable due to being waterproof. It could be cable, but unsure, without a known good cable to compare. If anybody near me could help I'd appreciate it. I'm southeast of KC area.

Been studying up on the tests from a site, and can't seem to get past 22-27 correct answers out of 35. I know 27 is passing, but those pesky electrical voltage to watts/amp or how much wattage is needed for 2 amps, type questions keep throwing me off and I want to get more than just barely passing to know I can guarantee myself that I'll pass when I go in to take a test.

I know there's a formula for converting wattage to amps and amps to voltage or some such, but don't remember that formula.

I think I need a book. Anybody got a HAM TECH book they can pass along on a pay it forward. Maybe by reading, instead of going blindly along, I can get a better score and get at least my Tech. I don't plan on doing any home setups. Just keeping with handheld.
View Quote

Im south and east of kc. Got my radio on the air this week. Repeater went down so now im trying to reach a repeater 70 miles away with 8 watts.

This is how I remebered the formulas when I was younger.

EAR. (I know current is supposed to be I, but as a kid i called it amps, so I memorized it as A) E=A*R. Since E is the first letter in EAR, E is always on top (or first in division). A=E/R, R=E/A.

Power is the same, Its PIE. We all like PIE. The formula works the same the value that you solve for changes.
P=I*E, E=P/I, I=P/E
E=A*R, A=E/R, R=E/A

Its all ears and pies man!
There are other formulas, but those should help you out on the tech test
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Shooter.

Now, I more confused.

I'm a visual person on some things and this is one of them.

It's when the test question might ask for: How much wattage is used with a .05 resistor to give you 3 amps with 120 volts? You know, these kind of questions that I'll never use with a handy-talkie, but are answers needed to pass the test. Then later on they might have same question on test, but 120 volts is changed around to 30 watts, how much current is needed to give you 10 amps. These are not the actual questions on test.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Shooter.

Now, I more confused.

It's when the test question might ask for: How much wattage is used with a .05 resistor to give you 3 amps with 120 volts? You know, these kind of questions that I'll never use with a handy-talkie, but are answers needed to pass the test. Then later on they might have same question on test, but 120 volts is changed around to 30 watts, how much current is needed to give you 10 amps. These are not the actual questions on test.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks Shooter.

Now, I more confused.

Well tech test wont mix the 2 formulas together. It will ask questions that each formula independently can answer. For example:

T5D01 (B)

What formula is used to calculate current in a circuit?

A. Current (I) equals voltage (E) multiplied by resistance (R)
B. Current (I) equals voltage (E) divided by resistance (R)
C. Current (I) equals voltage (E) added to resistance (R)
D. Current (I) equals voltage (E) minus resistance (R)

Remeber EARs, and E is first in division..
amps or current=voltage/resistance.

T5D02 (A)

What formula is used to calculate voltage in a circuit?

A. Voltage (E) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R)
B. Voltage (E) equals current (I) divided by resistance (R)
C. Voltage (E) equals current (I) added to resistance (R)
D. Voltage (E) equals current (I) minus resistance (R)

EARs again...
Voltage=amps*resistance

T5D03 (B)

What formula is used to calculate resistance in a circuit?

A. Resistance (R) equals voltage (E) multiplied by current (I)
B. Resistance (R) equals voltage (E) divided by current (I)
C. Resistance (R) equals voltage (E) added to current (I)
D. Resistance (R) equals voltage (E) minus current (I)

EARs and E is always first. Resistance=voltage/ amps or current

T5D04 (B)

What is the resistance of a circuit in which a current of 3 amperes flows through a resistor connected to 90 volts?

A. 3 ohms
B. 30 ohms
C. 93 ohms
D. 270 ohms

EARs, R=E/A, R=90/3

All you gotta remember is that EAR is the equation. And E is first in division. There wont be any questions that will ask about power in relation to resistance because those are more complex and require square roots and powers. The test is required to be completable without a calculator. Start tossing in square roots and powers with just pencil and paper, and Im def out. They will ask power equations which are PIE, and they will have ohms law questions, EAR.A and I are current or amps in either equation.

From here, its in sections t5d and t5c
Tech test questions

If my way of recalling is confusing, you can try and memorize them seperate. I had to recall them and their relationship to each other and this is how I did it,  by only remebering 1 formula, for both equations.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are making this too hard.

Go to hamstudy.org. Memorize the question/ answers. Pass your test.

That’s how I did my tech and general with about a weeks worth of studying.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Your alls reasoning is correct, my thinking is wired different in how I see things in my mind.

Funny, I can visualize how to customize a motorcycle or car and fix plumbing on a house and see how things will look when finished, but can't get it in my head when to multiply or divide a simple circuit breakdown to arrive at answer and I've wired a shed I built and restored vehicles.

Getting old isn't for the weak as they say and I was once a mailman and could tell you the names of all the folks on my route and their addresses at one time. Then an injury got me from the job and required me to retire.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
just so this thread doesn't get archived.

Earlier today I was finally able to follow a video, and program some frequencies in by hand. I may get this figured out after all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Been a ham since 1986. I'm moving from NH to MO in September and just got my "zed" call. My address on the license still has my NH address on it but thinking about changing the address now before the FCC starts charging their $35 for any changes...I'll just ID as my call "portable one" until I get to SoMo.

I pretty much everything from 160 through 440.

I looked and saw there are really no 220 repeaters in my area (Mt. View/Howell County)...oh well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been a ham since 1986. I'm moving from NH to MO in September and just got my "zed" call. My address on the license still has my NH address on it but thinking about changing the address now before the FCC starts charging their $35 for any changes...I'll just ID as my call "portable one" until I get to SoMo.

I pretty much everything from 160 through 440.

I looked and saw there are really no 220 repeaters in my area (Mt. View/Howell County)...oh well.
View Quote

There is a 220 repeater in Sedalia. Not sure where you are planning to move too. They were just talking about it on the net this morning.

Edit: nevermind I see you're in the south

Hope to catch some of you guys on 2 meter one of these days! Im frequently listening on the warrensburg repeater or the swmo linked system.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top