Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2020 7:46:26 PM EDT
Hi,

We've been considering a move further south to somewhere with a more moderate climate, and where our housing dollar will go a bit farther. MO and TN are on my list, and when looking at property for sale, I found some great deals compared to what I can get in my current AO, particularly in the Loma Linda neighborhood.

We have 2 kids still in the house, one will be a Junior in HS next year, and the other in 3rd grade. My SO is a teacher, and I would most likely be able to stay with my current company (IT consulting & cyber security) and work remotely, as long as I have decent internet.

Thoughts on how that area is to raise a family, and the overall cost of living and tax burden? Any other areas of MO you'd suggest we look at as well? I found some really neat houses in Eagle Rock, but that doesn't seem like a convenient area when you have kids in school.

And in case anyone is wondering, you couldn't pay me enough to pull the lever for a Democrat, we would be bringing a family with strong conservative values to the state!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been to Joplin, so I'm no help. If nobody replies, maybe go through the screen name tacked thread and @ the Joplin members.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/-/32-399495/?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...you couldn't pay me enough to pull the lever for a Democrat, we would be bringing a family with strong conservative values to the state!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Life long Missourian here. What sort of an area are you looking for? Metro, rural? Recreational opportunities? What is important?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Tornadoes are a serious thing out the Joplin way.  Not trying to be edgy.

I don’t live in Joplin but eh....

Eagle Rock is VERY rural.  Very.  Pretty area though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi,

I retired in 2017 and looked around in Missouri.  We wanted to be out in the country and not be in a town.  We looked for several weeks and decided on Cassville.  We're about 1 hours west of Branson.  We live out in the country, between farms.  Got horses on one side and sheep and lambs on the other, cows and chicken in front and cows behind us.  Very quiet and very peaceful.  We love it here.  I bought a  ranch home with attached 2 car garage, 3 bed/2 bath, with 5 acres.  Taxes are under $1,000.00, PP taxes under $1,000.00, all for under $125,000.00

Disadvantage is we are about 1 hour from a great hospital, but we do have a Dollar General, a Walmart, a Tractor Supply, and 2 Subways!(No Holiday Inn Express tho).

Advantage is clean fresh air, peace and quiet.  That means a lot to us old folks.

Barry County has excellent services, internet and electric, Cassville has excellent schools, 2nd place  in state football team, and a Sonic and Micky D's.  Neighbor has house for sale now, 4 bed/2 bath, outbuilding and 10 acres. google MLS#60155667

JJKrzos
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Life long Missourian here. What sort of an area are you looking for? Metro, rural? Recreational opportunities? What is important?
View Quote
I would like to be reasonably close to a metro area for work in the future, although there are plenty of remote working opportunities in my field, I just need high speed internet. While I'd love to be out in the country on 100 acres, for now since we have kids in school and activities, being closer to the city is important. And while I'd be ok not seeing another human other than my family for a long time, the rest of my family is much more sociable, so I don't want them to feel cut off from the world.

The biggest thing for me is just having more separation from the neighbors. I've spent the last 15 years on a .25 acre lot, and I'm just done with essentially living on top of my neighbors. A 1 acre lot would be absolute minimum, but I'd like to have more like 3-10 acres. That's why I liked the properties I was seeing in Loma Linda, as the majority seemed to be on nice sized lots, but still not too far from Joplin.

As for recreation, there isn't anything really specific we're looking for. I like to do some light fishing, maybe a little camping, shooting, etc... A property where I could get some go-karts for me and my 8 year old to tear around on would be awesome.

Our housing budget is pretty flexible, I could comfortably go up to 400-450k or so, but I've found a few really nice looking places for around 300k which would be ideal. Up here, on a 400k house which isn't nearly as nice as what I'm seeing down there for that price, my taxes would be 6500-10,000 depending on if I was in the town or city. So getting a lot more house, on more land, with significantly lower taxes has a lot of appeal. Even with the personal property taxes, we should come out way ahead it seems.

I am aware of the tornado risk, we get them here but not to the same extent. Many of the properties I've seen mention having storm shelters, so I think we'd be ok there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would like to be reasonably close to a metro area for work in the future, although there are plenty of remote working opportunities in my field, I just need high speed internet. While I'd love to be out in the country on 100 acres, for now since we have kids in school and activities, being closer to the city is important. And while I'd be ok not seeing another human other than my family for a long time, the rest of my family is much more sociable, so I don't want them to feel cut off from the world.

The biggest thing for me is just having more separation from the neighbors. I've spent the last 15 years on a .25 acre lot, and I'm just done with essentially living on top of my neighbors. A 1 acre lot would be absolute minimum, but I'd like to have more like 3-10 acres. That's why I liked the properties I was seeing in Loma Linda, as the majority seemed to be on nice sized lots, but still not too far from Joplin.

As for recreation, there isn't anything really specific we're looking for. I like to do some light fishing, maybe a little camping, shooting, etc... A property where I could get some go-karts for me and my 8 year old to tear around on would be awesome.

Our housing budget is pretty flexible, I could comfortably go up to 400-450k or so, but I've found a few really nice looking places for around 300k which would be ideal. Up here, on a 400k house which isn't nearly as nice as what I'm seeing down there for that price, my taxes would be 6500-10,000 depending on if I was in the town or city. So getting a lot more house, on more land, with significantly lower taxes has a lot of appeal. Even with the personal property taxes, we should come out way ahead it seems.

Look at Clinton Mo.... lots of really nice homes near town, some with acreages. A hospital, wallyworld, restaurants, new car dealers and gun shops. On Highways 13,52 and 7. Straight shot down 13 to Springfield, home of BassPro and a college town( 6 or 7 I believe). Straight north on 13 to Warrensburg another college town and then west on highway 50 to KC in 35 minutes or so.
Lots of fishing and hunting( great waterfowling), a public unmanned shooting range that is maintained very well, and a public ATV area though I don't know if it is operated by the Corps or MDC.
Lots of fairs,festivals,rodeos,car races and tractor pulls nearby. Canoeing on the Sac river about an hour south and loads of recreational opportunities if you want to travel 2-3 hours.
I've lived here my entire life and I've never heard of any tornadoes affecting Clinton though there has been at least 2 that affected the Warsaw area in the last 10 years or so though that is on the other end of the lake.

I am aware of the tornado risk, we get them here but not to the same extent. Many of the properties I've seen mention having storm shelters, so I think we'd be ok there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Op, look in St. Louis area in the following outskirt counties

Warren County
Lincoln County
Franklin County

you are 30-40 minutes from downtown STL and everything else is 10-20 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Joplin isn’t bad at all. I was born there but have recently moved to the kc suburbs.

It is a huge town for its population. There is stuff to do but it depends on what you’re into.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I live 30 miles from Joplin on the Kansas side and go over there frequently

It's a good town with a healthy economy.  The tornado just proved why the Midwest is such a great place to live.  People came together and worked their asses off to rebuild.

Plenty of acreage if a person wants that and nice neighborhoods.  A decent gun club on the east edge of Joplin with an indoor gun range in Joplin and a few gun stores.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Joplin is a decent place, been there frequently.  Large hospital, all the amenities.  There is an Academy, some decent gun stores and Carthage is not too far with others.  Cost of housing is low and near lakes and in the Ozarks.  The high school is very new due to the tornado.  A lot was rebuilt after the tornado so a lot of newer places.  Not bad at all, I stay there sometimes for work.  I wouldn't have an issue living there.

Another consideration might be closer to Springfield, which is about 70 miles east of Joplin.  Larger metro area but lots of smaller towns around.  I really like Springfield.  I don't think you could go wrong with either area.

Missouri has great gun laws, great fishing, great camping, canoeing, boating, hunting, hiking.

Come, join us!  If you have specific questions, let me know.

@ns8013
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm on the Kansas side of the border, about fifteen miles for Joplin, it's where we go to eat, shop, etc...  IM me if you have any questions.    I know it's a shitty thing to say but the tornado bought the town to life. New retail, dining, a new hospital and medical school, new state of the art schools and Mexican restaurant for every day in the month.

Non-tornado related thoughts; great hunting and fishing opportunities, gun owner friendly, handy airport, nice people, university, at the intersection of East-West and North-South highways, no liberal activist bullshit, nice'ish downtown.   Like most places, have a job lined up before you get here though there are good oportunities in Joplin, across the border in Kansas and the North West Arkansas, Bentonville area is BOOMING, Walmart and all.

Skip Eagle Rock.  My dad built his retirement home there.  He had to move health reasons but he still wouldn't have sold within a few years.  He thought he would enjoy the lake life but it is just so remote.  One restaurant within ten miles, only shopping is a liquor store and a Dollar Store, HBO Ozark'ish locals and retiree's.  The view was amazing and it's on the highway which is a real hit compared to some lake development areas but after a few months the seclusion and long drives to shop, eat, doctor, is too much.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I've lived in the Joplin area my whole life, 40 years.  I feel like the town has everything I need for supplies and entertainment without having to live in a city.  There are a bunch of rural areas around within minutes of shopping, schools, hospitals, ECT.  
Since you have school age children, there are a few school districts close to town that are a better choice than Joplin schools.  You would still be really close to Joplin for business.  This also opens more teaching options for your wife.
For internet, high speed is available just about everywhere.  There is a company called Craw-Kan co-op that covers the rural areas northwest of town out to Kansas that offers better service than in town.  I have a couple friends that live out there and get gigabit service with no data limit for less than I pay closer to town.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm on the Kansas side of the border, about fifteen miles for Joplin, it's where we go to eat, shop, etc...  IM me if you have any questions.    I know it's a shitty thing to say but the tornado bought the town to life. New retail, dining, a new hospital and medical school, new state of the art schools and Mexican restaurant for every day in the month.

Non-tornado related thoughts; great hunting and fishing opportunities, gun owner friendly, handy airport, nice people, university, at the intersection of East-West and North-South highways, no liberal activist bullshit, nice'ish downtown.   Like most places, have a job lined up before you get here though there are good oportunities in Joplin, across the border in Kansas and the North West Arkansas, Bentonville area is BOOMING, Walmart and all.

Skip Eagle Rock.  My dad built his retirement home there.  He had to move health reasons but he still wouldn't have sold within a few years.  He thought he would enjoy the lake life but it is just so remote.  One restaurant within ten miles, only shopping is a liquor store and a Dollar Store, HBO Ozark'ish locals and retiree's.  The view was amazing and it's on the highway which is a real hit compared to some lake development areas but after a few months the seclusion and long drives to shop, eat, doctor, is too much.
View Quote
Ha, if I didn't have a family that's much more sociable than I am, you would have just talked me into Eagle Rock!

Unfortunately after starting to seriously search for properties to come down and look at, my SO started getting very anxious about moving away from family. Our only family that doesn't live in WI is my sister, who she would love to live by, but she's tied to the D.C. area for my BIL's job and won't be leaving VA for the foreseeable future. As you can imagine, I would be less than excited about moving to VA given the current political climate.

So I have an uphill battle, but I do appreciate all the feedback, and will reference this thread again if I make any progress.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I are both from the NE Illinois area. I've retired and always wanted to live in a more rural area. We bought a home in the Stockton area. We're about 40 miles NNW of Springfield and our property abuts Corp of Engineers land on Stockton Lake.
Obviously, shopping and dining/entertainment is more limited than Illinois, but we were never big on that anyway. We happily gave that up for the peaceful, small town atmosphere where we are now. We found a very nice 2200 sf home with a large shop building on 20 acres for well under $200k. I hunt on our land and the boat launch is about 1/2 mile from the house. We really like the area and are happy we found it. I also don't miss the bitter cold and snow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#17]
@ns8013 have your wife apply now for MO teaching license.  
Shouldn’t be a big deal to transfer licenses, but my wife had some issues as she has several special certs and took awhile to get everything on license with a lot of paperwork back and forth.
Just takes time to process govt paperwork and now may be good time to get all of it together as your wife may be off school.   I know when schools hire/ interview they want to see MO license in hand  without any issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry but there is very little in Joplin to get excited about.  You will be looking for stuff to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top