Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2018 11:47:30 AM EDT
You guys ever seen this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ

Asking because I just had a guy who put up a chain link fence for me last year stop by and ask me to mill pockets into two anvils.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
holy shit

I would’ve gotten a helluva lot further away

wow

:
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it used to be quite common around here. Someone got hurt a few years ago and I haven’t heard much about it since then.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
holy shit

I would’ve gotten a helluva lot further away

wow

:
View Quote
I know. Right?

Apparently, they compete seeing who can get them to land the closest to the launching point.  So, your mileage may vary depending on the numb nut setting up the pad.  I was watching one video where they were using a level from Lowes to setup the launch pad.  I'd think if you were serious about it, you'd be using a machinist's level that is sensitive to a few thou over a couple of feet.

I bet with some practice, I could probably get the anvil to bash the launch pad.... But, I don't have a death wish, so I'm going nowhere near any of that.

I saw one vid on Youtube where a moron was standing OVER the anvil when he lit the fuse.  He got one foot step away and it prematurely went off and looked like that anvil hit him in the nuts during launch.  It had to have hit him, because it only went about 30 feet up.

ETA: If I was going to be lighting those fuses, I think I'd have a 10 foot pole with a Bic lighter on the end.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.

Digging those things out of the ground after launch is enough to make you want to stop.

Used to be a somewhat common occurrence at the Blacksmiths Association of Missouri meetings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was kid living in Oklahoma we used to do that at my uncle's ranch.

It was a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I was kid living in Oklahoma we used to do that at my uncle's ranch.

It was a ton of fun.
View Quote
Everything dangerous and unpredictable is fun... Right up until it kills you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Everything dangerous and unpredictable is fun... Right up until it kills you.
View Quote
And yet here I am 35 years later.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And yet here I am 35 years later.....
View Quote
You're not telling me anything... Here's my 'other' hobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GAom_exy4
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I know you are new to the area but just to let you know, Gay Wilkinson, the guy in the video, is one of your county commissioners.

Next time he is up for election watch for his signs.  They have an anvil on them.

During glorious "Country Days" they are usually firing them at some point over at Engler Park.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're not telling me anything... Here's my 'other' hobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GAom_exy4
View Quote
NICE......Here is my suicide machine
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know you are new to the area but just to let you know, Gay Wilkinson, the guy in the video, is one of your county commissioners.

Next time he is up for election watch for his signs.  They have an anvil on them.

During glorious "Country Days" they are usually firing them at some point over at Engler Park.
View Quote
Thanks for the info... Second thing I learned this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top