Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2018 1:26:31 PM EDT
I know a 19 year old can't purchase a handgun but can I gift one to a 19 year old, I'm wanting  to get my nephew a 45

Thanks Aug
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
21 years old is the federal law to buy.  18 years old is the state law to own/possess.  You could always loan it to him, then gift it later if you're worried about it.  No paperwork is required, so it kind of up to you.

BTW, I assume you're both residents of the same state......because if not, then there is an issue.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Eric, I think you nailed it.

One thing I would give to the 19yr old is a "bill of sale".  They are not needed, but it's his first gun...he might want to keep a written record of it.  In this day and age, I don't know if people still do that, but he might like it looking back on it years from now, if you are going to write a note to him...etc.  Just something he can keep with the gun as a reminder...etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top