Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2012 6:15:39 PM EDT
So, I stopped by the Black Rifle store (in Columbia) today to have a browse.  My daughter (16 months) was snoozing in her car seat, so my wife stayed in the car with her.  After about 5 minutes or so of browsing around, my wife comes in, holding our daughter, and says 'Umm, somebody pooped."  I asked one of the guys in there if they had a bathroom or some room in the back we could use to change a diaper, and the guy cleared out some space in the employee restroom and gave us some crates to change our daughter on.  The whole setup worked out pretty nicely.  I browsed around a few more minutes, and I was checking out, our daughter let loose a big nasty sneeze.  I think I responded with an "Eww, she just sneezed everywhere," or something to that effect.  The same guy that set up the bathroom ran and grabbed us a napkin.  

I thought this was some very courteous customer service.  It would have easy been for the guy (whose name I didn't catch) could have just told us that they didn't have public restrooms.  I bought a can of tactical bacon out of appreciation (I was wanting some anyways)  
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Good bunch , have been every time I've been there.

You NEED to shoot at the CMMG 3 gun match with Larry
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to check them out the next time I'm out that way.  Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Larry is great. I have nothing but good to say about that store too, I had a buddy with me one day, he wanted to buy an AR, 3 hours from home and he gets delayed... They shipped the rifle UPS to our local dealer free of charge so we didn't have to make an extra trip down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
First I have heard of this place. Will have to stop in 1 day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've tried to get there twice, but can't make it before they close.  I want to get up there and look at some of their .308's.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
They have been nice as well as helpful. Think I am gonna have to go the SLP MK 1 route. 1100 runs OK but not easy to load. Tried a CZ 712 which was super easy to load but a little more finicky.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been up there in forever, but I've done my best to send people their way recently.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I stop in just about every Saturday.  Very nice guys.  I haven't bought a rifle yet.  I have bought a lot of little stuff.  I am working up the bank account to buy a .308.  I know I probably drive them nuts with my questions, but they always answer without making me feel dumb.

I hear they are going to have a new barrel (or MFG) later in the spring or summer on their .308.  That, I want to see.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Made the track from O'Fallon to the Black Rifle Store yesterday.  Very nice guys - very enjoyable little trip!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a good little store and the guys working there are generally top notch. They under charged me $100 one time and when I pointed it out to them they wanted to give me a water bottle. I refused twice before I finally accepted it and thanked them. People look at me funny when I show them my $100 water bottle . I've only had one not great experience there. A gentleman came in with a rifle he had purchased and wanted to know more about it. The guys were really helpful especially considering it wasn't a cmmg rifle nor one they had sold. The trouble came when the gentleman mentioned that the rifle came with 2000 rounds of steel case ammo. The guys at the counter basically told him he was an idiot for buying steel case ammo and that he needed to throw it out and never use it. I know opinions on steel case ammo are mixed and cmmg wont warranty their rifles if steel case ammo is used but my reaction to that statement was / .
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
M4 barrel $120-160.  Steel cased 223 is $230 versus brass at $300-$350.  If I run steel 4-5 cases of steel through my rifle the economics of buying a new barrel are pretty easy math.  I know not everyone is capable of installing their own barrels but the economics of this make it a no brainer for me.  I just went through a class yesterday where I personally went through 1k of brown bear and 200 rounds of federal in 9 hours.  The only hiccup I had was around the 700 round mark which I would have expected from any ammo.  I flushed the gun with  brake clean, cleaned the bolt, lubed and went back to shooting.  I don't even know if the ammo caused the feed problem, it could have been the mag but I changed mags and finished the evolution before cleaning.  During break I stripped down and cleaned just to be cautious.  Anyone that says steel ammo sucks can get bent.  No reason to blow .30-.45 cent per round ammo to shoot at a man sized target less than 50 yards away.

I like CMMG, I own several of their guns.  I never gave a damn about the warranty.  Interestingly enough there was a CMMG gun there at the class yesterday that had only run brass cased ammo its whole life that was throwing perfectly sideways keyhole bullets with regularity at less than 25 yards.  Had to be the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw them at the Springfield gunshow maybe a year ago.
Almost snagged another AR from them.

Recall they were selling chrome lined AR's for $600 something
& Non Chrome Lined AR's for $500 something.

What kinda prices did they have in the shop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been to Black Rifle once. Very VERY nice people!

When I get ready to buy another AR15 I will definitely make the journey back to Black Rifle. A tank of gas would be well worth the cost!

I hope they do enough business to stay open for many years to come! Seems like when I start frequenting gun shops they have a way of closing or going nuts with high prices.

Black Rifle does have GREAT price and the widest selection of AR's you will find anywhere!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
They have recently expanded/remodeled.  The store looks pretty damn good, those that haven't been in for a long while should check it out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They have recently expanded/remodeled.  The store looks pretty damn good, those that haven't been in for a long while should check it out.

ARFCOM meet and greet at Black Rifle?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Do they have any Sunday hours?  I am going to be in Columbia this weekend and would love to stop by.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]
http://blackrifle.lbu.com/contactus.html

Looks like they are closed on the weekends entirely if their site is in fact correct.  If not somebody that visits them needs to point it out.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, great place.  I bought my first non-Fudd rifle there.  I went there again during the recent anniversary event and the guy that sold me that rifle was still behind the counter, which I regard as a good sign.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fist match is this Saturday, I believe.  (I can't make it though.  I don't think I've ever made it to the Feb matches....)

And the store is nice, I stopped in there after one of the matches last fall.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fist match is this Saturday, I believe.  (I can't make it though.  I don't think I've ever made it to the Feb matches....)

And the store is nice, I stopped in there after one of the matches last fall.  

I was wondering about that.  Last year, I heard that the matches would resume in February, but I haven't heard anything about them since then.

I won't be able to make the February match if it this Saturday either, but I should be able to start making them again in March.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#22]
First time or two I went in I was blown off pretty bad by a couple guys I haven't seen in there since.  I would have sworn off the place if it wasn't for some side business with CMMG and the monthly 3-Gun matches put on by Larry.
http://www.midwest3gun.com/

As for customer service though... I expected you to tell us that Larry personally changed that diaper!

The chromed lined guns and other $599 guns are Frank-En-Guns.  Made with random parts of various AR's  That said I've been out shot twice by guys with those bargain bin guns.

I know a couple of people eyeballing that FN SLP.  It has a Turkey barrel on it, but I think Larry's willing to work out a deal with a VR barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First time or two I went in I was blown off pretty bad by a couple guys I haven't seen in there since.  I would have sworn off the place if it wasn't for some side business with CMMG and the monthly 3-Gun matches put on by Larry.
http://www.midwest3gun.com/

As for customer service though... I expected you to tell us that Larry personally changed that diaper!

The chromed lined guns and other $599 guns are Frank-En-Guns.  Made with random parts of various AR's  That said I've been out shot twice by guys with those bargain bin guns.

I know a couple of people eyeballing that FN SLP.  It has a Turkey barrel on it, but I think Larry's willing to work out a deal with a VR barrel.

I've got one of those "franken guns" , don't think I out shoot too many guys except maybe in # of rounds fired , I do have several K down the pipe , can't remember a failure of any kind after the second mag.

ARinKCMO  , THANKS for the heads up on the match , my son asked when the next one was , YESTERDAY  , I believe we'll be there .
Although I'm VERY concerned about the weather forecast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top