Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 6:31:34 AM EDT
My buddy just got his CCW permit.  Took the class and got the Utah license.  Said this was easier and cheaper.  How does this work?  I take the class and send the application to Utah?  He explained it, but I'm not too sure about what he said.  If I go this route, do I have to pay any MO fees?  Are there any advantages to a MO permit over a Utah permit?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on this but if I remember right, I believe Missouri requires MO residents to have a MO CCW in addition to any out of state CCW or something to that effect which basically means your friend will have to get a MO CCW now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My buddy just got his CCW permit.  Took the class and got the Utah license.  Said this was easier and cheaper.  How does this work?  I take the class and send the application to Utah?  He explained it, but I'm not too sure about what he said.  If I go this route, do I have to pay any MO fees?  Are there any advantages to a MO permit over a Utah permit?  Thanks guys.

Since the permit page has been lowered to 21, why get an out of state permit?

I have no idea.  He's 30.  That's the main reason I have questions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm no expert on this but if I remember right, I believe Missouri requires MO residents to have a MO CCW in addition to any out of state CCW or something to that effect which basically means your friend will have to get a MO CCW now.

Missouri does not require a Missouri endorsement before or after purchasing an out-of-state CCW permit.

But, Utah has just recently changed their laws to require all out-of-state permit holders whos state has reciprocity with Utah, to also hold a in-state permit. Missouri recognizes a Utah permit.

Information from this link ––––––––> Utah Out-Of-State Permits

One major change in the new law is regarding some non-resident applicants for the Utah concealed firearm permit. If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit. This change will not affect those applicants who reside in a state that does not have formal reciprocity or recognition with Utah, i.e. California, New York, Kansas, etc. Renewal applications will be under this new requirement starting January 1, 2012.

Yes the Utah permit is cheaper, lasts longer, and there is no shooting portion to their requirements, but there is no longer an advantage to holding a Utah over a Missouri. If you are looking for cheaper permits then Missouri, then look into Florida or Arizona. Both last longer and are cheaper.

One major advantage of the Missouri endorsement is that we are recognized by 39 other states, soon to be 40 with the addition of Wisconsin. One disadvantage of not taking a Missouri CCW class is that you do not learn about Missouri's laws regarding Defense of Justification (Chapter 563) and Weapons Offenses (Chapter 571). Both of these Chapters must be covered under the Missouri CCW class.

ETA: Made change to one of the sentences.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That's right I had it backwards.  I knew something had changed making a UT CCW no longer advantageous.  Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.  I will take the MO class and get the MO permit when the time comes, i.e. when my wife lets me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top