Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:44:28 AM EDT
So I accepted a job in West Virginia. I had a realtor over today. Turns out, with realtor costs, and advertising, we would probably end up taking a 3k hit on the house. That basically means I won't be taking that job after all. It seems the only possible way to sell the house and actually do ok is to sell it our selves. I don't know anything about real estate. The big reason I'm so very disappointed with this is because my job was supposed to buy the house so I could move. Well they stopped that program 6 months after we bought it.

So, anyone looking for a house in South County Saint Louis?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Not looking for a house, but do they have any more of those jobs in West Virginia?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Specs or pics?  Area?

IM me or email me if you must...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If a $3,000 hit is enough to stop you from moving it sounds like the job in WV must not be much of an improvement over you current situation.  I would think moving would cost almost that much....

PTK
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Poly. If you are worried about a $3000 hit then the new job isn't much of an upgrade. Have you figured out how long it would take to "make up" the $3000 loss on the sell?  I know a ton of people would love to take a $3000 hit to get out of their current situation.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a guy that took a $27,000 hit on a house years back when he moved here from the D.C. area, $3000 might seem like a lot now, but if you don't make the move chances are you'll be kicking yourself over not making the move later.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm also looking at either selling my house or getting equity or a loan against it to get some bills down.  I am drowning financially, and need to do something to get out of it.  Things aren't looking good.  I just got this year's county assessment of it, and it is much lower than I expected, but I don't really know how that figure relates to market value.  (I made a post in the finance forum we have here...)

Anyway, a $3K loss probably isn't really all that bad.  To be honest, just to get out of my place, I'd gladly lose $3K at this point...just as long as I don't owe anything when I hand over the keys.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Specs or pics?  Area?

Back to the City with you or the Secret Squirrels will catch you habitating outside the City Bubble!  Thow shalt not live outside the City, peasant!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The move is covered by my job. It's a lateral transfer with the same agency. The reason 3k is tough is because my wife has student loans and hasn't found a job there yet.

I don't have pictures of the house yet. We are probobly going to start trying for around $159k. It's got just over a half acre. The yard is fenced and backs to woods, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a finnished basement. It's in the Mehlville school district, and pretty close to I-55/255 at the Lemay Ferry exit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Specs or pics?  Area?

Back to the City with you or the Secret Squirrels will catch you habitating outside the City Bubble!  Thow shalt not live outside the City, peasant!!!

Hey, brown clown.  If you want to be a real cop, come on over to the dark side...  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Aw I was actually teasing in sympathy for you all.  With schools what they are, you all should be allowed to live where you want.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It's in the Mehlville school district, and pretty close to I-55/255 at the Lemay Ferry exit

Close to Ringer Road?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Aw I was actually teasing in sympathy for you all.  With schools what they are, you all should be allowed to live where you want.

I know, I'm only pushin back.

Actually, I was wondering for someone else... even though I am actually eligible to move out if I want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Brian, send me the address and some details ... I can look it up on zillow.com.

We just missed by a matter of 15 minutes, a house that the bank was carrying a $327K note on, for $165K.

Pretty much if you bought something from early-07 to now, you're going to take a hit selling now.  However, get it done quick and find the new place and you make that back with the $8K tax credit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
the 8k tax credit only applies if you have not owned a residence in the past 3 years...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the 8k tax credit only applies if you have not owned a residence in the past 3 years...

Duh, my bad ... although there is legislation in the House and Senate right now that would extend the credit through 2010, make it available to any home buyer, and raise it to a max of $15K.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh, my bad ... although there is legislation in the House and Senate right now that would extend the credit through 2010, make it available to any home buyer, and raise it to a max of $15K.

Man I hope that passes, I'll send you the address.

And yes it's very close to Ringer Rd.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#17]
There are some great neighborhoods over there.  My in laws live not too far away.  I'm waiting for them to move to Florida so I can by their place...Good schools, good place to raise a family.

I wish you luck with your house sale
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep in mind that the realtor's commision is negotiable to a certain extent.  Selling a home yourself is not that big of a deal.  The biggest hurdle is getting showings. There's a company you can pay a fee to and get your house listed on the MLS for sale.  The MLS is what realtors use to search for properties by sales price and area.  That way realtors bring buyers to you and you pay the buyers agent 3%, rather than the 6% (or whatever it was) commision to the sellers/buyers agents.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm also looking at either selling my house or getting equity or a loan against it to get some bills down.  I am drowning financially, and need to do something to get out of it.  Things aren't looking good.  I just got this year's county assessment of it, and it is much lower than I expected, but I don't really know how that figure relates to market value.  (I made a post in the finance forum we have here...)

Anyway, a $3K loss probably isn't really all that bad.  To be honest, just to get out of my place, I'd gladly lose $3K at this point...just as long as I don't owe anything when I hand over the keys.....

County assesment is a rough figure for value, it's usually not a good indicator of market value.  Send me an IM if you want to talk about the possibilities of refinancing to pay some of that debt down  I'm a mortgage broker in Kansas City.  I can at least give you an idea of where you stand.  If you are leaning towards selling, I can also refer you to some solid realtors.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's a company you can pay a fee to and get your house listed on the MLS for sale.  The MLS is what realtors use to search for properties by sales price and area.  

People can search MLS on their own too, can't they? (In addition to the realtors using it).
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't saddle up for a H.E.L.(l) loan to get some breathing room!  Debt sno-ball man!  Budget!  (gotta book you can borrow)
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Well 3k was a best case scenario. I'm sure we can roll that onto the next house. It may not sound like a lot, but I do everything I can to avoid debt and with all the money we put into this house that is a lot to me. I did just find out my job will cover the realtors fees, although what I get back is taxed. I think what I need to do now is find a better realtor who will do this for say 5%. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of trying to sell ourselves first. I have some painting to do first. And I probably need to rent a storage space to de-clutter the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top