Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2007 4:28:05 AM EDT
Guys need your hive mind on scout scopes.  i am trying to build a scout carbine..don't laugh but on a mini 14 platform. i want a m1a squad scout but at 1500 bucks, not going happen anytime soon.

i thought i could get by using maybe a shotgun scope, had one no added cost to me, its a IER scope. well i got the ultra max rail mounted the scope and well...short story cant see out of it. eye relief isn't enough. i am looking at around 12 to 14 inch eye relief when i measure scope placement,  am i going have to stick a pistol scope on there? i guess i am needing suggestions of a fairly cheap solution.  i know Cheap and glass don't go together but is the Lepould scout or the Buris scout the only scopes out there? or can i get buy putting a pistol scope on there?

please note i do not want to put a eotech or a reflex on it. i know this could be a solution. i am wanting a traditional glass.

i mean when you get done the scope and the mount cost more than the rifle itself.

thanks.

Ronald

yes i know we have a optics section, but most of you guys i know and i trust your opinion and thoughts on this matter. also the rest of the site will see mini 14 and drop off the face of the planet or start flaming me how i need a ar.  with out even knowing i have enough ar and wanted something different.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually Ron, a Mini-14 makes a great scout rifle.  I think that's one of the few ways to modify it that actually makes sense to me.

If you want to go super cheap, look for a used pistol scope in the low power range, 4x maximum, maybe even 2x.  Scout scopes actually have come down in price significantly.

$200 gets you this nice Leupold FX-2 at 2.5x magnification.  That ain't bad for a Loopy.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=998758
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
bud thanks for the info, thats about the price of the Buris scout, its like 206 delivered.  i guess next month i will have to see what i can do. i ordered a cheap bsa pistol scope 2x20 to see if it would work the optic forum over at riflescopes.com  had people running them on m48, k31,m39,m91 and allot of other scout set ups its eye relif is 10 to 26 inches.  if i like the set up i will move it over to my  buckmark and then purchase a buris or leopold .

Ronald
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I saw that the Burris was about the same price.  Given my choice between the two brands at the same price level, I choose to share the Leupold with ya.  :)
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you use a mini? What are the benifits using the mini14 over and AR? And last but not least, what are you going to do to it that will make it out perform and be a better scout rifle? Oh do you/anybody have any pictures of what your looking to make?
And this concludes 100 questions. This is an intresting idea. I really like to looks of a nice mini 14. My friends dad has one and was going to sell it for an AR, he would probably be intrested in this idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why would you use a mini? What are the benifits using the mini14 over and AR? And last but not least, what are you going to do to it that will make it out perform and be a better scout rifle? Oh do you/anybody have any pictures of what your looking to make?
And this concludes 100 questions. This is an intresting idea. I really like to looks of a nice mini 14. My friends dad has one and was going to sell it for an AR, he would probably be intrested in this idea. Thanks!

1. why would i use a mini. good question. i guess the answer stems from me wanting a m1a scout. and being broke at the moment. me having the mini and not having the 1500 bucks for the m1a. also the Ar isn't a scout rifle in my mind. i guess it is in some ways but its more of a multi platform.  let us look at what a scout rifle is and what it is not.  a scout rifle was never designed to be a CQB weapon.  just wasn't, can it be used that way. ya. is there a more effective solution. heck ya get a AR.  i mean when they started playing with he scout rifle in the 60's it was the go to all around all purpose rifle, and built on a bolt gun. in 308. i know Col. Copper would be nuts that i was doing a scout rifle on a mouse gun cal like 5.56.  the figured the scout rifle would be the truck/ranch gun. kind of what Ruger thought about the mini, you need to dispatch varmints on the range you pull out your scout and your good to go.  also during its time it gave you allot more field of view since you could keep both eyes open, were use to that now thanks to eotech and reflexes and aimpoints. back then this didn't usually happen with a scope. so as much as i hate to say it here is the second reason a mini over a Ar...looks. the mini does not strike fear into the hearts of men and fuds everywhere. the ar does. thats one of the reason it wasn't on the bad in the first place, that and ruger bending us all over and shafting us. if he had not done that i dont think there would be as much hate for the mini as there is now.

2. why the mini over the ar
well se above for looks, not as threatening, and if i am walking thru the woods or somewhere it can pass as a fund gun with out a 30 rounder in it.  i have also never seen a mini not run when it has good mags even when filthy. the gas system is simple and effective. now is it simple to clean no.

3. will it out preform a AR...thats a good question at what distance? at 100 yards i thank maybe it would be the same. my group size was a little smaller with the ar than the mini with iron sights. now with that being said anything over 100 yards the mini drops off quick. but a scout set up the parallax on the scope is going be 100 yards or 50 if you do A  pistol scope. so its not meant to be a reach out and touch me weapon. let me also add the new rail has greatly reinforced the barrel and made it allot more stable platform and people say the accuracy had greatly improved.

you wanted pics, i will post mine once it get done.

these pics are not mine there other peoples so i dont own them if the original owner doesn't want me to use them i will take them down. this is for example only.

then from the rail makers web-sight maybe they wont care about the band with theft since maybe they well sell product.

also the reflex will cowittness i put mine on there to see.

i hope this helps some. i think the mini gets a bad rap its a weapon that is a good choice for certain jobs.

Ronald

edit to add a good story on what i am kind of going for.
www.chiefaj.com/scout_14.htm
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
pic of mine, ths scope on there will be replaced tuesday when the new one that works comes in.

specs

mini 14 185 series made in 1989
ultimak rail
leupold  rings
next tuesday buris scot scope.(now cheep barska picked up for 16 bucks got it to see if i would like a scope on a shotgun)

Ronald
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I really dig the set up. I love the Mini 14s with the lighter wood! It is a less threatening weapon, but still just as effective.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine has built 2 'unusual' scout rifles:  A 10-22 and a Swiss K-31.  I gotta admit, the K-31 is kind of intriquing.  He got the nice Burris Scout scope for it.  So, really kind of extra funny to see a $350 scope mounted on some pretty cool customer made mounts on an $89 dollar rifle...but, he likes it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top