Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 1:03:35 PM EDT
Well, I had an encounter today in Lexington, MO with the police regarding my CCW.   I think it went well.<p>

I got out of my car today in the local city parking lot, and either my concealed firearm printed enough to be visible or it peeked from its IWB carry, and a lady across the street who was on cigarette break looked at me very pointedly.  <p>

I thought nothing of it at the time, and proceded on to the local sporting goods/gun store.  After 10 minutes of being there, a short gentleman confronted me on the way out of the store.  I could feel/see people moving into threatening positions behind me in my periphrial vision, and moved on to a higher alert status.  I quick look back revealed that the gentlemen who had moved in behind me were police officers.  At that point, I asked the guy in front of me, "What can I help you with today?"  He told me somebody had called in and said that I looked suspicious and she thought I was carrying a gun.

<p>Much to his surprise, I told him that I was indeed carrying a gun, and informed him that I had a concealed carry permit.  I was relieved of my handgun and contents of my pockets.  <p>  

He then told me he had never heard of any such thing as a concealed permit, and would have to check it out.  I pointed out that my permit was in my wallet, and asked if he would like me to get it and my drivers license.  He said that he would, and I got it for him.  <p>

He was again surprised when it turned out to be a Penn. permit, and said that this permit wouldn't work here.  I told him that was innacurate, and he should verify that.  <p>

He went in away for a few minutes and came back a little bit less chipper.  He had called the local prosecutor  and was told to give me my gun back and let me go if that was all he was there for.   <p>

So I got my gun back, holstered it, and left.  That was that.  <p>

Any suggestions on better IWB carry, or on anything else here?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sucks that you got hasseled but it sounds like it worked out alright.  Glad to hear about how calm and alert you were to the situation.  I would imagine that in these situations, being calm and reserved, yet well informed of the law and your rights, beats the hell out of being indignant and beligerant <sp?> anytime.  Nice example of how to handle the situation.

As far as suggestions go, I don't have any but some of the other ccw guys here might.
Good luck
Justin
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was quite worried at the beginning, TBH.  I thought I was about to have an armed confrontation with a bunch of rednecks until I looked back and noticed that those were police standing behind me.  Talk about an eye opening experience.  

<p>I think the officer in plainclothes in front realized in a few seconds that he needed to be a little more clear that he was a policeman there on police business.  You could tell he was a little scared at the enhanced stance and attitude I had assumed towards the threat I at the time felt he was offering.  Thankfully things became pretty clear when I became aware that those were officers to the rear.  I suppose it's a good lesson to LEO's out there that operate in plainclothes in the presence of law abiding CCW holders:  Don't assume that they know that you are a policeman right off the bat.  It's real easy to let tunnel vision and training take over, so you should make sure you have a good handle on what's going on both as a citizen and as an officer.

<p>I knew for a fact that everyone else there was just as nervous as I was about the situation, but it turned out all right.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Man I hate sheeple (the woman who called you in).

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
On the one hand, being polite is the safe thing to do in that circumstance.

On the other hand, you can also walk right past the cops and ignore them.  Let them tackle you and throw the cuffs on your for your lawful activity.  Then turn around and sue their asses off for false arrest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand.  It would have been a good unlawful arrest suit.  But I really had to be somewheres at the time or I would have lost an important customer.  Not good.  

I'm just glad it went down well.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you post info on the PENN permit?  I live in Jackson county and we still can't apply.  I wouldn't mind paying a local shop for training, and the city it's dues, but not letting us carry in probably the 2nd worst crime ridden county in MO is crazy.  I'm more than happy to spend my money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I second that .  I live in Jackson county and it that we can't get ccw just because they won't issue them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to dissapoint some of you but the Penn permit is no longer an option for Mo residents unless they already have a MO permit.  Your best bet is either Maine or Florida.  Florida had the best coverage but costs 117 dollars and your required to submit fingerprints and proof of training.  The requirements and price for Maine are less but the coverage is not as good.  Checkout the following link to an excellent source of info on CCW in Mo. Link once you get there check out the forum, great people and plenty of info.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know how far an AZ CCW permit travels??? What other states are covered with a AZ permit??
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe the cops didnt know what a CCW permit was, or whose permits were good in their state. That is totally unacceptable. What you really should do, is write a polite, but firm letter to the chief of police, or these cops supervisors (get a copy of the police report) and let them know that you are very concerned that their cops dont know anything about CCW laws.

throw up a post on packing.org - the people there do this stuff all the time. A lot of them have done an EXCELLENT job using these instances to educate the local police about firearms laws - it is very important, I would really suggest you do this.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
S_O_Laban is correct.  You cannot get a Penn. permit unless you have an MO one anymore.  I had one from years ago.  Srry.  :-(

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sorry to dissapoint some of you but the Penn permit is no longer an option for Mo residents unless they already have a MO permit.  Your best bet is either Maine or Florida.  Florida had the best coverage but costs 117 dollars and your required to submit fingerprints and proof of training.  The requirements and price for Maine are less but the coverage is not as good.  Checkout the following link to an excellent source of info on CCW in Mo. Link once you get there check out the forum, great people and plenty of info.  Hope this helps.

Can you be clearer on this?  Is it that PA no longer issues to MO residents, or is that MO no longer honors PA permits?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
no the Pa permit cannot be issued to a person who's state issues permits..the PA permit is good in MO still you just cant get one now unless you have a Mo permit
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Phil, Penn. will not issue unless your home County also issues.  I tried to get a Penn. Permit when my County was one of the 8 or so left not issuing, and the rest of the State was. They couldn't do it.

Thank you Maine!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#17]
The phrase I recall from my CCW course (taught by a law enforcement officer) was "I have a lawfully concealed weapon."  - this makes it clear that you do, in fact, believe you are  lawfully carrying (as opposed to unlawfully carrying).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top