Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 11:13:35 AM EDT
The way I read the Statutes, is that with a CCW permit, you can legally carry a knife concealed. Is this the way it is? After all, it isn't a CCH (Carry Conceal Handgun), it is CCW!

My CCW instructor (Plice Academy Instructor) said the permit was for ONLY handguns. But after reading the Statutes myself, I think he was wrong.

Whaddaya think???
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know for certain but I did ask my CCW class instructor (John Ross!) He told me it was written specifically to allow guns only.

Hmmm... what about a folding stock AK under a trenchcoat?? (Maybe something to try at the next MoDCC shoot)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. I was pretty sure when I had read it before that ours basically WAS a CHL....however, reading it it exempts subdivision 1 of subsection one, which states that it is illegal when someone "Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;"

So, if that is exempted then it would be legal to carry a large knife whereas normally it'd be illegal if the blade were over 4"

Don't worry, you'd still get arrested and tossed in jail. That high-priced lawyer would have no problem getting you out though since you would technically be in the right, but most cops wouldn't know that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hmmm... what about a folding stock AK under a trenchcoat?? (Maybe something to try at the next MoDCC shoot)

Your AK. won't work unless it is an SBR

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.010

August 28, 2003

Definitions.
571.010. As used in this chapter:
(3) "Concealable firearm" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, measured from the face of the bolt or standing breech;

www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C500-599/5710000010.HTM

From this (see Below) it at least LOOKS like a knife would be OK with a permit.  It also looks like our ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in a car without a permit ONLY refers to a firearm.
I not a lawyer, I'm just an average guy trying to make sense of the wording.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use

(3). Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon [business] premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state

(4)This section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to section 571.094 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your AK. won't work unless it is an SBR

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.010

August 28, 2003

Definitions.
571.010. As used in this chapter:
(3) "Concealable firearm" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, measured from the face of the bolt or standing breech;

www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C500-599/5710000010.HTM

From this (see Below) it at least LOOKS like a knife would be OK with a permit.  It also looks like our ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in a car without a permit ONLY refers to a firearm.
I not a lawyer, I'm just an average guy trying to make sense of the wording.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use

(3). Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon [business] premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state

(4)This section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to section 571.094 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

That is kinda what I mean, if the state declares it to NOT be a concealable weapon then could some one be charged with concealing it? Strictly hypothetical but for someone who does not have a CCW permit, would that work> Legally I mean, I know if someone got caught doing it there would be an arrest and maybe a good ol' fashion beating too.
I don't plan on carrying an folding AK or anything else like that around, this is strictly an intellectual exercise for me.
I do think it would be fun to run a MoDCC course Secret service (or maybe mafia, drug lord, undercover double-ought spy, ATFE, whatever) style though. Whip out your from under your trenchcoat and blast away at the bad (or good depending on who you care to fantasize about being) guys.

Oh, sorry for the highjack
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
When I took my CCW course several months ago, the instructor specifically told the class that carrying an automatic knife concealed was now legal in Missouri.  He said that the law did not specify firearms only, therefore knives, including automatic knives could be carried concealed.  He made it sound like anyone could now legally own an automatic knife & carry it concealed.  

I myself wouldn't trust what he was stating as fact.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Automatic knives are illegal in Mo.

I don't believe the CCW law changed that!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Automatic knives are illegal in Mo.

I don't believe the CCW law changed that!

True, but those rules are as full of holes as the assault weapons ban was.  I don't know how many guys I've seen in Warrensburg and Holden carrying really expensive "spring assisted opening" knives.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Holes? I like the sound of that! Please explain...

I would love to have an auto Benchmade. The cool factor would be like 9.9 or something!

I have an auto Itallian Stilletto my Father gave me. He said it was confiscated during a search years ago. I wouldn't carry that one, tho.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Duke i think they get buy with the "spring assisted opening" beacuse there not pusing a button. its not a auto. its fast. probably faster but not a auto. i mean heck walmart sells some Ken Onion spring assisred opening. your manual having to start the action. your pusing on the back of the blade on the stup its not auto. thats how they get buy. i dont like them my self good way to get cut. i have about 3 left over from my EMT/MEDIC days. there handy if your workign on somebody in a car to cut seat belts. Ronald
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I thought that any knife activated (opened) by a button or other device located on the handle, or any knife using the force of gravity only were a big no no. If there is a loophole, I would REALLY like to know about it!

And I agree, the "spring assisted" knives are kinda tough to get used-to. I'll stick with traditional opening, until I can get an auto!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't know for certain but I did ask my CCW class instructor (John Ross!) He told me it was written specifically to allow guns only.

That's interesting.  I took John Ross's class, and he said it *was* legal to carry knives and other weapons concealed with a CCW.  Then, to demonstrate, he pulled out a folding knife with a 6" blade, and told us he was legal.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting.  I took John Ross's class, and he said it *was* legal to carry knives and other weapons concealed with a CCW.  Then, to demonstrate, he pulled out a folding knife with a 6" blade, and told us he was legal.

Go figure.

Hmm.. you probably are right, I ge easily confused.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top