Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 2:16:23 PM EDT
Anyone else have the annoying problem of your eye protection fogging up at the range?  It's not bad on some of the cooler days we've had here recently but when the humidity is up, it becomes very frustrating to have to pause during a firing session to clear the moisture out of the eye protection.

I've "upgraded" eye protection from the pair that came with an old airgun to some remington yellow and the problem's better but I'd like to hear from someone who doesn't have any problems with the eye protection fogging up.  What type of eye protection do you use?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean your safety glasses with your own spit!!! Its an old scuba trick.! Spit on each side then clean with a clean cloth, they should stay fog free for a long time if untouched.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
i run cat crap on mine. its a anti fog stuff i get at the eye DR.  my new Oakley M frames dont fog thought my remingtons and smith wesson, and Gargolyes do fog. so i just coat them once a month with the cat crap and its fine. YES CAT CRAP IS THE PRODUCT NAME, i didnt make it up its arounf 6 bucks for enought to last for years. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Shaving cream!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.labsafetysupply.com sells some glasses with anti-fog.  It is the Crews line and I have used them for several years.  Cycle gear sells a cloth in the store, but not on the website, that also furthers this fog protection.  It is a treated dry cloth and works extremely well.  I use it in the winter on my motorcycle face shield.  It is called no fog cloth by Smith, part number might be 014912 or 00649 sku: 7 15757 12691 9
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
toothpaste also works
just a little
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a heap for the suggestions.  I've got quite a few things to try from your responses.  I'll let you guys know what I settle on after trying a few of the tips below.  It's been frustrating because I hate to break my concentration when I'm on a roll.  Whenever I pause to take care of the eye protection, I invariably break a great grouping and then the irritation sets in.

BTW, I finally bought my H&K USP Compact 9mm and I love it but I must admit that it's going to take some adjustment to get used to.  MUCH different than shooting the ole' Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have this problem too.
Been looking into getting A pair of wiley-x balistic glasses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have this problem too.
Been looking into getting A pair of wiley-x balistic glasses.

I've got SG-1's and they fog badly.  THe problem is that the eye cups are sealed to your face.  They are great for wind and sand, but once you or the wind stops, the things fog.  I am going to try trimming th foam to get a balance between protection and fog resistance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think I save my $$$ and use the spit technique.  Good tips people.  Thanks.

I'll have to give that a try too.  Never thought of that.   Fogging was driving me insane this weekend at Parma Woods.  Then I set up my portable fan and that helped quite a bit.  Spit costs less than fans, and is easier to use on the go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I tried the "spit" technique on the eye protection last Wednesday and it didn't really do much for  me.  I guess it helped a bit but not enough ... I think I'll try and look for some of the cat stuff next time around ... report coming ...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i run cat crap on mine. its a anti fog stuff i get at the eye DR.  my new Oakley M frames dont fog thought my remingtons and smith wesson, and Gargolyes do fog. so i just coat them once a month with the cat crap and its fine. YES CAT CRAP IS THE PRODUCT NAME, i didnt make it up its arounf 6 bucks for enought to last for years. Ronald

Ronald, I found the stuff easy enough on the 'net but was wondering if you can let me know if you've seen it anywhere retail.  Perhaps your eye Dr. works at a chain store etc.  I'm in the St. Louis area BTW.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I just close my eyes when I shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I noticed that...

...pretty damn good shooter, though!!!

I thought there had to be some kind of trick to it.   When you blinked during conversations, I was looking for some holes in your eyelids...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that...

...pretty damn good shooter, though!!!

I thought there had to be some kind of trick to it.   When you blinked during conversations, I was looking for some holes in your eyelids...

Ok, you caught me, I am really using the force...
BTW, I am very glad to see you are still around.
Before I get busted for highjacking a thread I will just IM you a quick note.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I find urine works quite well for me.

My own of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top