Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 12:40:30 PM EDT
A shooter grade m1.
If you see one lemme know.
Thanks

Btw armory or Danish don't matter.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried qualifying for a CMP rifle? It isn't that difficult. The two main obstacles are belonging to a certified club and shooting in a match. The club you can join online ($25 bucks/yr) and shooting a match is worth it even if you don't want to qualify. Oh yeah, if you ask nicely most match organizers will help you find a gun to borrow to shoot with.
Other than that all I can say is check the usual places for old guns.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
BaNo,

I believe the organization Gary mentioned is the Garand Collector Assn (GCA).  FOr $25 a year you receive their GCA Journal, a publication dedicated to the M1 Garands.  Very informative journal.  GCA is affiliated with CMP.

If you are a MO resident, you can join MSSA (Missouri Sport Shooting Assn) for $15 a year.  This too will satisfy the club membership required by CMP.

If you can shoot the Garand match at Pioneer gunclub, Bates city, MO, I think I can help you find an M1 loaner to shoot.  Go to www.pioneergunclub.org for details.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a Springfield Armory M-1 at Post Pawn outside the gate at Fort Leonard Wood.  They want $600 for it.  They have the bullet guide in backwards so the bolt won't lock back in the correct position, but put it in right and it should be fine.  The barrel looks really good, 2-54 date, bolt is WRA, receiver is SA.  Overall good shape other than being really dirty.  It is on consignment and looks like the owner opend the action and left it in a closet for 30 years.  Clean it up and it should be just fine.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a caliper, measure the diameter of the op-rod piston head.  It should not be less than 0.525".  Anything less, you may have short-cycling problem.  It would be nice to know the throat erosion of the barrel.  But it may not be possible.  I personally think the throat erosion is not as important as the muzzle erosion, esp. for a shooter grade M1.  M1 must be cleaned from the muzzle.  Hence, using the GI steel jointed cleaning rod, soldiers cleaning the M1 in the old days may have caused some uneven wear on the muzzle crown.  Take a 30 cal M2 ball and drop it down the muzzle upside down.  The M2 ball has the cannelure a bit lower than the standard 150 grain 308 ball.  Then inspect how much of the bullet still showing beyond the muzzle end.  If it is less than 1/8", I would not take it.  The more the bullet sticks out, the better the muzzle condition. I have an ex Korean M1 garand with a pitted and sewer pipe looking bore.  I guess the Korean army conscript did not care to clean their rifles that much.  But the rifle still shoots really well (and have taken a few top places in Garand matches in the state).  Because they did not clean it much, the muzzle is tight ... really tight.  And this contributes to its accuracy.

If you see any ding or scratch on the muzzle end, but the bore looks good, you may be able to have a competent gunsmith to put a new crown on the old barrel.  

Good hunting.

oz
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Bano, Mousegun knows everything there is to know about Garands, he can get you set up.  Be forewarned though, you'll have to spend an extra $100 on the Band of Brothers DVDs and Saving Private Ryan on DVD.  There are lots of good deals to be had here in Missouri, so what's stopping you--

MOVE OUT!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
what do you want to give or trade? i might know were a dane is. it shoots reallt well. Ronald
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
OMG Duke ... all the peace protesters will run like hell ....

Yeah, watching Band of Brothers is not complete w/o an M1 Garand on your lap.  

The Dane rmdye mentioned is a Danish return with Danish made VAR barrel.  This barrel has been known to be very accurate, not quite a NM barrel, but better than any USGI barrels.

I have shot this Dane and found it to be accurate, even more accurate than my all USGI M1.

When you get one, learn how to operate the bolt before doing anything else.  This will prevent the infamous M1-Thumb from happening to you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont really have anything for trade unless a  low miles remington 710 in .270 would be considered for partial.

I own Saving Private Ryan on dvd, but someone borrowed it and I forgot who.  I plan on buying Band of Brothers at some point.

Quoted:
When you get one, learn how to operate the bolt before doing anything else.  This will prevent the infamous M1-Thumb from happening to you.

I've shot garands before, never smushed my dickbeaters yet.

btw  you guys are a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
BaNo,

I don't have an M1 but I would be interested in swapping my Russian SKS, with few boxes of ammo, scope mount, extra synthetic stock, and soft carry case for your 710.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Bano,

the level of proficiency I meant is being able to single load the Garand (use dummy or snap cap please) quickly and smoothly using just one hand, even with your eyes closed.  The majority of M1-thumb happens when someone tries to close the bolt on an empty M1, or tries to single load the rifle using just one hand (your left hand is holding the rifle by the stock).

Be careful.
oz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top