Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 9:35:25 AM EDT
Guys, after some thought, we've decided to cancel the Nov. 1st shoot.  That shoot falls too close to deer season, and according to Shamusmcoi, the range is VERY busy around that time of the year.  cancelation

It's not fair for us to take up the range space (even if we do have a permit) when so many folks need to sight in their rifles.  So in order to keep everyone happy, and to prevent a lot of angry calls to the Conservation folks, we are canceling the Nov. shoot.

The Oct. 4th and Dec. 6th shoots are unaffected by this decision.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
BTW, I was planning on a special Halloween Shoot for the Nov. 1st shoot, so that means I'm going to have to move it up to the Oct. 4th shoot.

Some be prepared for some 'interesting' COFs with a Halloween theme.  Sorry, no hints...  

Costumes are optional...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Good call HKocher.

Around November, Finger Lake range is a very dangerous place ... and filthy too. Those annual-shooters-hunters just trash the place like crazy.  Paper targets, Walmart bags, empty ammo boxes are scattered around everywhere.

I hunt too, and like most of us in this board, I have my rifles sighted at all times.  So I manage to avoid going to or near the Finger Lake range around deer season.  If you must go, put adequate body armor ...  these annual-shooters-hunters types are not exactly the safest bunch around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Shamusmcoi was the smart one that made this decision.  I didn't even think about the season until he brought it up.

He had pretty much the same concerns as you...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, sucks but I have to agree. I am a bit tipsy right now so I have no idea if this is a good idea or not but what about mid month?
Maybe we could have an AR15 deer hunt? Hell, we got enough for a damn good drive...
anywho, keep me/everyone posted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Gary, mid November is still bad too.  Many hunters still use the range all through the season. If we want to make friends with the CA people, let us organize a clean-up party after the deer season frenzy is over.  I think the park rangers will really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm down with that.  Good call, guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Good call guys.  That time of year Finger Lakes is filled with what I call "10 shot a year" shooters.  They shoot three groups of three rounds each to make sure their Marlin lever-action is sighted in, and then one shot during deer season.  And they are the most dangerous firearms handlers I've ever laid eyes on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Let us cast no stones on our deer hunting brothers and sisters, most of which support gun rights as much as we do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let us cast no stones on our deer hunting brothers and sisters, most of which support gun rights as much as we do.

Whether they support the NRA or RKBA politically was not the point of my post.  The fact that I've seen them negligent discharge, load bullets in backwards, and sweep the entire firing line while cocking their lever-action rifle was the point of my post.  Not to mention trigger discipline.  When it comes to their political beliefs we can discuss that over hot wings and a cold beer.  When it comes to range safety, I may goof off at the MODCC shoots but hell yeah I WILL cast the first stone when I see such unsafe handling.  No offense to you bud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top