Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2019 9:59:38 PM EDT
If an AR pistol has a barrel greater than 12” is it covered by CCW in a vehicle?

For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:

(1) PISTOL. Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

In the definition of an SBR it says it is not an SBR if it is greater than 26”.

I have an AR pistol with a 10.3” barrel.  I also have a 13” barrel that I would like to build an A2 style upper.  I do not want to do it if I can’t legally carry under a CCW in my truck.

Thoughts?? Bama?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with 11 inch for this reason.   It isn't specifically tied to CCW either, since the law infringing on all car carry modes makes no distinction on open or concealed, you merely have bought a permission slip to have an accessible pistol in the vehicle period.

Permit to Carry Pistol in Vehicle or Concealed on Person -Required; Possession of Unloaded Pistol in Motor Vehicle.

Except as otherwise prohibited by law. A person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:
The firearm is unloaded.
Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.
Title 18 U.S.C. section 926A
View Quote
Rifle carry is generally prohibited, might be open to interpretation if you have one in the car easily accessable:
Carrying rifle or shotgun walking cane.Any  person who  carries  a  rifle  or  shotgun  walking  cane  shall,  on  conviction,  be  fined  not  less than  $500.00  nor  more  than  $1,000.00,  and  be  imprisoned  in  the  penitentiary  not  less  than  two years.(Code 1876, § 4111; Code 1886, § 3777; Code 1896, § 4422; Code 1907, §6423; Code 1923, § 3489; Code 1940, T. 14, § 165; Code 1975, § 13-6-124.)
View Quote
Definitions:

PISTOL. Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
RIFLE.Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and  intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each pull of the trigger
SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE.A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any  weapon  made  from  a  rifle  (whether  by  alteration,  modification,  or  otherwise)  if  such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches
View Quote
Anything not clearly in those bounds is open to interpretation which is usually perilous to be.  Particularly if your pistol has a stockish looking brace, there's every good chance that if you cross the wrong folks they might argue it was "redesigned"/altered" to be a SBR despite what ATF has said in the past (we know how much weight that carries now thanks to the bump stock ban)
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rifle carry is generally prohibited, might be open to interpretation if you have one in the car easily accessable:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carrying rifle or shotgun walking cane.Any  person who  carries  a  rifle  or  shotgun  walking  cane  shall,  on  conviction,  be  fined  not  less than  $500.00  nor  more  than  $1,000.00,  and  be  imprisoned  in  the  penitentiary  not  less  than  two years.(Code 1876, § 4111; Code 1886, § 3777; Code 1896, § 4422; Code 1907, §6423; Code 1923, § 3489; Code 1940, T. 14, § 165; Code 1975, § 13-6-124.)
This has nothing to do with the OP's subject.  This section you are quoting is about walking stick/cane weapons, not pistols or "normal" rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top