Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 4:23:52 PM EDT
"If you have never had a pistol permit, or are new to our county, applying for one is easy. You just need to bring the serial number, make, and caliber of one pistol to the office in Talladega or Sylacauga to fill out an application. It is a one page application needing your basic information for a background check. Currently there is a 1 week waiting period for new applicants. The fee is $20.00 cash which isn't collected until you come back to pick it up."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Talladega-County-Sheriffs-Office/303539969778446

Okay, I know for a fact that you can't get a permit in Talladega County without the above. Problem is, I thought that gun registration wasn't allowed at the state level and preemption stopped this kind of crap. So, how is the Talladega Sheriff's Department getting away with forcing people to register a firearm in order to receive a CCW permit?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would wait 8 days for the new laws to take effect on 8/1.

A) Alabama is changing to a shall issue state.
B) You can choose the expiration date up to 5 years.
C) The sheriff may not place conditions or requirements on the issuance of the permit or limit its scope or applicability.

The permits I've seen have all had Sheriff imposed conditions printed on the back like:

1) This permit does not allow you to carry a gun openly.
2) Your permit is valid for the State of Alabama and any State with a reciprocal agreement.
3) Void if you are arrested, intoxicated or possess any illegal drug.
4) Void in any public building where weapons are prohibited...air terminal, courthouse, etc.
5) You may be subject to arrest by not complying with the above mentioned conditions.

You should see stuff like this removed from the "new" permits.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It says a pistol... Doesn't say one you own...  Gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never had to list a pistol on my permit and I've had one for 30 years in Montgomery, Jefferson and now Shelby counties.
I believe it was on the application in Montgomery, but was optional.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Never been asked for a serial number in Jefferson or Etowah counties.  They should not need a serial number. Just wait until the new law takes effect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The last one I had years ago in Jefferson county was unrestricted. I remember the application having a place for the make and caliber of the pistol but not a serial number. I have no idea what they ask for now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
When I lived in Tuscaloosa (2006-2008), I had to give the Tuscaloosa County SD a make/model/serial #, but I was not restricted to carrying only that gun.  I asked before I gave them my application to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
When my Dad first got his permit in Autauga County well over 20+ years ago, the same make/model/SN was on there.  Dad told the deputy that he didn't have a pistol yet, and the deputy told him to just leave it blank.  He got his pistol permit without having to put down any of that information.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had a Jefferson County permit since 1981. The original application asked for make/cal/SN, but I didn't fill it in and received an Unrestricted license. Just got it renewed a couple of weeks ago, and the permit still shows "unrestricted."
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do we know for sure on this about sheriff rules?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do we know for sure on this about sheriff rules?

That's what is says in SB 286 "enrolled" version.  http://legiscan.com/AL/drafts/SB286/2013

SB-286 page 10
15___c. Except as otherwise provided by the laws of this
16___state, a permit issued under this subdivision is valid
17___throughout the state, and a sheriff may not place conditions
18___or requirements on the issuance of the permit or limit its
19___scope or applicability
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Mobile County had a similar requirement about twenty years ago.  That Sheriff also wouldn't issue a permit to someone under 23.  Glad we are now standardizing things.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Morgan county is 5 minutes and your done. Ne serial numbers or anything. I heard Madison was running about 6 weeks to get it. No serial numbers needed either of these counties.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Morgan county is 5 minutes and your done. Ne serial numbers or anything. I heard Madison was running about 6 weeks to get it. No serial numbers needed either of these counties.
View Quote

Limestone is about 5 minutes as well.  God bless Sheriff Blakely.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top