Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:54:19 PM EDT
Am I correct that a Texas resident can not buy a long gun in Alabama? My Brothers MIL has bought a house here but is keeping her house in Texas. She wants  handgun but I told her that was out. Is she sol till she goes home and brings it back?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Am I correct that a Texas resident can not buy a long gun in Alabama? My Brothers MIL has bought a house here but is keeping her house in Texas. She wants  handgun but I told her that was out. Is she sol till she goes home and brings it back?

For handguns I believe you are correct.  If she plans on being a AL resident she can get a AL drivers license and buy one here then.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
no, going to stay a Texas resident for the tax break.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas residents may buy a long gun here, not a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Texas residents may buy a long gun here, not a handgun.

this.

it comes down to store policy however, as some stores will only sell to in state residents, and some will only sell to contiguous state residents.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
He/She can do what most Military dose,He/ She can go get a Non-DL from Alabama and she will be able to buy one, He/She may also get the handgun from the PX.

**Edit** I have done this in Missouri and Alaska, They could also try buying the firearm from TX and then have it shipped to Bama.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:some will only sell to contiguous state residents.

yep in the 80's that contiguous state thing was the law at one point, amazing how many gun dealers simply don't keep up with the changes or read their FFL bulletins...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:some will only sell to contiguous state residents.

yep in the 80's that contiguous state thing was the law at one point, amazing how many gun dealers simply don't keep up with the changes or read their FFL bulletins...

I think TX until recently had a state law that prevented residents to purchase long guns from non contiguous states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top